egg boxes as support for speaker cables

Posted by: Davie R on 27 October 2018

hi  every one just a mad question will supporting my telluriun q speaker cables on egg try help to stop sonic interference . i have been told to raise the cables of the floor. is that correct

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by TOBYJUG

There is very little scientific evidence how speaker cables respond positively to being supported, but that shouldn't put anyone off; especially when some can hear it.

Should be inexpensive to try.   Although organic or even better chestnut Maran would likely sound better.

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by ChrisSU

First buy a Muso for the loo, it might come in handy after you’ve eaten all those eggs. 

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by nigelb

Snipped up foam pipe insulation is far superior to egg boxes, both sonically and aesthetically.

And why just stop at speaker cables. Get all those cables off the floor and see if you hear any difference.

Just don't let anyone see you doing it as you may struggle to answer the question...'why are you doing that?'

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by Davie R

thanks for your reply every one. the reason i use egg trays is because i can loop the speaker cables around them and the cartons fit snug under my quadraspire Q4 racks  witch i have fitted rcd . cones.  i think they are called. i would recommend them. 

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by AndyP19

Oh no! echoes of dear old Jimmy Hughes. The good old days of DIY Hi-Fi enhancements. 

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by nigelb
Adam Meredith posted:
nigelb posted:
Just don't let anyone see you doing it as you may struggle to answer the question...'why are you doing that?'

The next stage of rejoining the human race is - to be able to ask that question by yourself, of yourself.

I would rather not know the answer to some questions I should ask of myself.

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by Geoff C

If you need to use egg boxes then you have the tricky question of whether to use the ones that had space for 4 or 6 eggs... Put some music on and forget about it!

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by Mike-B
Geoff C posted:

If you need to use egg boxes then you have the tricky question of whether to use the ones that had space for 4 or 6 eggs... Put some music on and forget about it!

I changed my Medium egg boxes to Extra Large & the difference was A-mazing,  its even better with organic eggs.  

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by Christopher_M
Geoff C posted:

Four-ers are for Hi-lines. Six-ers speaker cables. Twelve-ers for Burndys. Common knowledge.

Posted on: 30 October 2018 by Geoff C

Thanks guys, there are more ways not to try this than I thought!