BBC On demand Radio

Posted by: Parlow on 01 November 2018

i have enjoyed using internet radio to stream BBC radio “on demand” programmes. However it’s stopped working.  My Uniti2 reports “Can’t Play”.  It still works great for live broadcasts but not the old stuff. I’m reduced to using Bluetooth and the iPlayer app on my phone.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Posted on: 01 November 2018 by Guinnless

Stopped working for me too. Could be a BBC issue.

I'll try again at the weekend.

Posted on: 01 November 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Been happening to me for a few days across numerous stations on live broadcasts, on R2, R4, 5L & 6M. Bloody frustrating too, it takes longer than usual to connect then drops out after a short while and refuses to reconnect.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by ChrisR_EPL
ChrisR_EPL posted:

Been happening to me for a few days across numerous stations on live broadcasts, on R2, R4, 5L & 6M. Bloody frustrating too, it takes longer than usual to connect then drops out after a short while and refuses to reconnect.

In case anyone else sees this issue, here's one fix.

Unknown to me we had a power cut recently, net result being that afterwards all of the home network devices powered up at the same time, and although I've specifically set the NAS NOT to act as a DHCP box it does if it's first up. Powering everything down and then bringing things up in a logical seqence - modem, router, each switch (3) and then any attached devices finishing with the NAS drive has restored iRadio's functionality and it no longer struggles to connect or drops out.

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Mike-B

I expect its something to do with the new BBC Sounds.     According to BBC blurb dept.,  BBC Sounds is a new audio app, bringing together live & on-demand radio, music & podcasts into a single personalised app.

I guess we need some info on how it affects Naim's iRadio from Naim HQ,  I suspect it will involve streamer firmware changes.  .     

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Guinnless

Oh great. A new and improved service ????

Just checked and still not working so that's it I presume for On Demand material. Podcasts still work.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Mike-B

[@mention:1566878603942595],  Hi Richard, are you aware or do you know if Naim are aware of this iRadio problem ???.      

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Mike, I don’t know. If nobody who is affected has been in touch with Naim then perhaps they are unaware. 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by DavidS

BBC Radio 3 On Demand is working on my Nova but not on my Mu-so. 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by ChrisSU

This seems to be a legacy streamer issue - works on my Atom, but not on NDX (unless I multiroom it from the Atom;-)

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Mike-B

......  maybe [@mention:1566878603957588] needs to look into it.  Like I said in my previous note I suspect a firmware change might be needed. 

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Richard Dane

I have alerted Steve H.

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Stevesky

Hi Gents. 

Have had a look and the BBC seem to have a misconfiguration which is resulting in a 404 File Not Found as it bounces through the n'th redirects to get to the final stream. 

I've let Jim and his team know at BBC Radio Engineering.   They're normally pretty good at nailing such things, I'll give you an update tomorrow morning. 

Regards

Steve

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Loki

Here in Asgaard we've had an intermittent but persistent issue with streamed radio, especially Radio 4 on the Qb. Either it cuts out completely, full stop, or it drops out for a minute or so and then starts from where it left off. Ethernet or wifi makes no difference. However, the ipad, Macbook Pro, and phones all work fine on the wifi. At one point we sent the Qb back to the dealer for testing. It was fine, and a theory was developed that the local servers were unable to buffer sufficient resources for local demand.

Reecently it has been cutting out repeatedly and then starting up again after a minute or two. On Tuesday it was fully 10 minutes behind FM as a result. We contacted Plusnet who aked me to reset the router by removing the power cable and waiting for 65 minutes before powering up again. So far so good. But it does feel a little basic. Hardly worthy of a demigod!

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Stevesky

Hi Guys,

I heard back from the BBC and they’re looking into a bug that has been introduced on their side.

Hopefully full details should be available on Monday - it’s quite a complex one.

Regards

Steve

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Guinnless

Thanks for the update.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Stevesky

Hi All, 

An update on this.   The BBC has rolled back to an older version of their HLS system, so On-demand will work again.   You may need to wait for 24hrs for this to populate through the system. 

On the not so ideal news, their new HLS system raises a bug that has been hiding in our Bridgeco based solutions for the last 5 years.    The BBC need to switch over to the new system due to the current HLS backend system is going end of life.      

We have identified and fixed the bug and will shortly be doing a new beta release for the older range of Uniti and streamer products.    It's also been fixed on Muso/Qb. 

Best regards

Steve

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Guinnless

Great, hopefully I'll be able to list to Mark Radcliffe on the Folk Show again 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

And I want to listen to the latest Desert Island Discs with Tracey Thorn. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

No sign of it yet. 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

This is still not working here. Can anyone else get any in demand shows?

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by adm95

Hello @stevesky

I notice the new streams for on-demand content from BBC sounds appear to be in higher quality 320kb/s dash format (accessed via pc/mac).

When will Naim be introducing support for this newer format @320 kb/s? [current BBC on-demand content, accessed via Naim streamers, is only at AAC @128kb/s...]

Best regards

Dave.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU

It’s been a while since I looked an the Naim/BBC OD list, but I notice that only a very small amount of the R4 content available via the BBC app is on the Naim app. It’s just a long list of thins that you can’t listen to, or sometimes programmes with 1 or 2 episodes available, where often a full series is available on iPlayer. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by DavidS

I usually cast BBC Radio catchup to my Nova from iPlayer Radio. This works well and is rock solid (e.g. I often listen to R3 Record Review which is more than 3h without any issues). Also, you can seek to time which is an  advantage. I used to do this on my Mu-so using a Chromecast Audio device.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by hungryhalibut
ChrisSU posted:

It’s been a while since I looked an the Naim/BBC OD list, but I notice that only a very small amount of the R4 content available via the BBC app is on the Naim app. It’s just a long list of thins that you can’t listen to, or sometimes programmes with 1 or 2 episodes available, where often a full series is available on iPlayer. 

Yes, that’s what I have. It’s pretty useless. Before the BBC tried its new HLS the list was full and pretty much everything was there. I do hope Naim can sort it out so we get what we used to. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by nickpeacock

I recently switched to the BBC Sounds App, which so far I have found to be a disappointment compared with BBC iPlayer Radio.

Issues include: BBC Sounds does not always retain your last listening position and starts programmes from the beginning again; BBC Sounds is not (yet) compatible with Apple Car Play.

This has the hallmarks of an App which is rolled out before being fully road-tested (now where have we seen that before...)

Whether the inadequacies/bugs in the BBC Sounds app account for issues with BBC OD Radio I can't say, but at the moment the app is not robust.