More Blood, More Tracks

Posted by: David O'Higgins on 02 November 2018

I think this deserves a thread of it’s own. There are 88 previously unreleased recordings connected to Bob Dylan’s ‘ Blood on the Tracks’. I’m 16 tracks in, and captivated.....

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by ewemon

Kinda good isn't it.

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by David O'Higgins
ewemon posted:

Kinda good isn't it.

Yeah, kinda...

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by kevin J Carden

I have a Vinyl copy on the way from Zoom (thanks Richard). I believe mine is just a single LP of the Blood on the Tracks songs. I hadn’t realised there were 88 tracks available. Is that a box set?

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by joerand

Package it however you want. Bottom line is there will be blood.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by fathings cat

I opted for the double vinyl (pretty reasonable price for a new release). Half way through and I have to say is it is rather good. If you like the original then this is well worth getting.

Now deciding if I need the expensive 6cd set! 

Gary

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by AndyP19

On holiday right now but just had confirmation that the 6 cd set is awaiting my return. I think I saw somewhere that this is limited to 6,500 sets in the UK.

You got to hand it to Bob & Co they really do a great job on the bootleg series.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Wugged Woy

Waiting for my 6-CD deluxe set  from the rain forest.  Delivery Monday. Really looking forward to this. Outtakes from the greatest album by the greatest performer of popular music in history......... IMHO.

Those who have received it, what's it like ???

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by Kevin-W

I was kind of interested in the 6-CD set, but in the end it was just a bit too much (and too expensive) so in the end I plumped for the 2-LP edition. Which is utterly fantastic. Fortunate a mate who is a Dylan nut bought the big box, so at least I'll get the chance to listen to it once.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by VladtheImpala

The 6-CD version is available for download on Qobuz - £42:49p for Sublime subscribers.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by fathings cat

The vinyl 2lp set is the best £20 I have spent this year - enjoy folks and please report back on the 6cd set.

Gary

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by AndyP19
Wugged Woy posted:

Waiting for my 6-CD deluxe set  from the rain forest.  Delivery Monday. Really looking forward to this. Outtakes from the greatest album by the greatest performer of popular music in history......... IMHO.

I think we’ve been here before but isn’t the greatest album Planet Waves although have to admit Blood on the Tracks is a very close second. 

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by David O'Higgins
kevin J Carden posted:

I have a Vinyl copy on the way from Zoom (thanks Richard). I believe mine is just a single LP of the Blood on the Tracks songs. I hadn’t realised there were 88 tracks available. Is that a box set?

As others have noted, it’s available as a 6 CD box, or as a 96/24 download, which is what I bought. Qobuz is also offering a 16 bit download at €62.49 vs €74.49 for the 96/24. I bought from Hdtracks USA for $67.99, after using a 15% discount code.

Posted on: 03 November 2018 by David O'Higgins

Don’t like to follow my own post, but having gone through all 87 tracks (88 included the pdf), and done some comparisons, this set has significantly improved on the 24 bit version of the original album which was already released. Smoke and mirrors indeed.....

Tomorrow, I’ll go back to the (ripped !) CD version to compare.......

Posted on: 04 November 2018 by Wugged Woy
AndyP19 posted:
Wugged Woy posted:

I think we’ve been here before but isn’t the greatest album Planet Waves although have to admit Blood on the Tracks is a very close second. 

Hah ! I have shared your love of Planet Waves before, indeed Great as it is, I just think BOTT just pips it !

What an amazing run of albums he had in the 70's though : Planet Waves, BOTT, Desire, Street Legal and Slow Train Coming (not to mention the live albums). Just fabulous.

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by AndyP19

I've just finished playing the 6 CD set and what a joy. It's great to hear how the songs evolved - Tangled Up In Blue changing from the third person to the first and "working all the while in an airplance plant loading cargo into a truck" to "working all the while on a fishing boat right outside of Delacroix". 

Whilst, the New York sessions would have made a superb album, at the end of the day I think the re-recording of the tracks in Minnesota and the final track selection for the album was the right decision. Just amazing how he wrote the songs in the summer of 1974, recorded the album at the end of the year and released it January 1975.

Just opened up the Bobbie Gentry set but I've been side-tracked by the first two albums by Lani Hall and the Beatles white album deluxe (not interested in the super deluxe) set and wondering what will be on Volume 15 of the Bob Dylan Bootleg Series.

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

Although I’ve most of the big bootleg boxes (Basement Tapes) etc. objectively this is a surprisingly weak collection and shows just how right Bob got the final release. I opted for the smaller cd version having heard the big box and there are 3 stunningly different and worthwhile tracks whilst the remainder are interesting but all a little meh. 

Posted on: 13 November 2018 by David O'Higgins

As they say, Mike, you pays your money and you takes your choice......