Anyone use Onkyo Music for hi-res downloads?

Posted by: Hmack on 06 November 2018

I currently use Qobuz for virtually all of my downloads and I am pretty happy with the Qobuz service.

The Qobuz download service has a very useful feature in that if you pay for a hi-res album, then not only can you download that album more than once (I don't think I have ever needed to do this), but you can also download lower resolution copies of the album at no additional cost. I haven't used this feature for some time, but I assume it is still offered.

Can anyone tell me if Onkyo Music offers a similar feature? I can see that you do have the option of downloading purchased albums from Onkyo Music more than once for no additional cost, but does this also apply to downloading an album in different 'formats'? I suspect not, but I would like to know for sure. What I would really like to be able to do is to purchase a number of albums in both MQA and 'standard' hi-res FLAC format for comparison using an MQA enabled DAC, I really don't want to pay twice for each album I download.      

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by Gazza

Can,t answer your question, but your post prompted me to look at the site. Prices seem reasonable £8.49 for new Paul Weller album in high res.

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by AndyP19

I think there was a post a while back saying Onkyo is  the same as 7digital pricing, billing and website. 

Gazza your Paul Weller HiRes is £8.49 on 7digital so QED.

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by Hmack

Hadn't spotted that. I'm not normally a fan of Paul Weller, but I do like his current album. 

Actually, I think the US price for this album on Onkyo Music is $16.99, so the UK price of £8.49 does look a bit of a bargain. Most hi-res albums on Onkyo Music (UK) are around £14.99.