Tidal - Qute 2

Posted by: Voltaire on 08 November 2018

So, I was a Tidal hifi subscriber streaming to my Qute 2 nicely and then I left Tidal for a while. I have now returned to Tidal with the same account but as a premium subscriber and the Tidal app itself works great but when I try to stream to the Qute I keep getting the "can't play. Skipped track" message on the Qute display no matter what I try to play! 

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Gordon

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Chris 179

Good evening 

I have had the same problem for about a month now, on a MuSo and N 172 streamer. Looked up on google and found others were having the same problem. Contacted Naim who said they were looking into it. I awaited reports on here,but until now have not seen any. I rang Naim again yesterday for any progress on problem , and armed them with more info. This time they said they have had reports from all over the world regarding the problem, but still cannot replicate it themselves.

The info I gave was that the problem occurs when using the Naim app. And trying to play anything on tidal from the What's new, or tidal rising options. You get tracks added on your app viewing device, connecting (briefly ) on your streamer display, followed quickly by can't play , track skipped.Anything outside of newly added content on tidal plays ok. Here is the thing though, All you cannot access through the Naim app all can be played as normal direct on the tidal app direct, and then via AirPlay or corded to my systems. The guy at Naim did say that with this info yesterday he tried and did encounter the problem, and they would be contacting tidal via their software engineers to ascertain what has changed.

Hope this helps, or could any others con firm the problem.

Chris

Posted on: 08 November 2018 by Voltaire

Brilliant. Thank you. 

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Chris 179

Many thanks Voltaire for your reply. I am still surprised that with all the activity on this site, that no one else seems to have commented that they have not encountered the problem. I only found it on google after not being able to play the" A Star is Born" soundtrack, and the thread I came across referred to a guy having the same problem with an" ALT J"  album. Later I could not play" Bohemian Rhapsody ", and then also tried playing Paul Wellers new album. The penny then dropped as to trying other things in the whats new and Tidal rising lists (all newly added content ) and encountered the same problem. In the mean time select anything outside of these lists and all is OK. I then tried all direct on the Tidal app and it played on my pad/phone, and the sent it air play to Naim device OK.

Yesterday I added a track to a play list that I had heard earlier on the radio. Playing the list, and the track got missed, playing the next on the list instead. I went into the list to check if I had inadvertently not added my new selection, but it was there. I added it to play next again and this time watched. Stepped to track, streamer displayed connecting, quickly followed by can't play, skipped, and went to play the next track in my play list. I then found that the track I tried to add was a track from the new Mumford and Sons album, so the problems happening on tracks as well as the whole album. 

Lets hope this gets sorted soon. If any one can add comment to help identify the problem it would be appreciated. All of my apps are of the latest versions, and I have encountered the problem for over a month now.

Chris

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by TK421

I am the guy and I did start a thread about this several weeks ago but it didn't really get much response.

I have been having exactly the same problems with a 272.

Newly added albums just won't play = "Can't play, track skipped" but older albums play with no problems whatsoever.

More annoying is the fact that these newly added albums will play on the Sonos via their app without any issues. It is very frustrating to put it mildly.

Mike

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Gavin B

Gordon - if you can't play any tracks at all, it sounds like this is a different problem. Have you tried logging out of your Tidal account on the Qute and/or app, and logging back in again?

(I've no idea how to do this!)

Thanks TK421,

Should we turn this post around and ask members if they are streaming via the Naim app and being successful when playing any new content on Tidal ?  Can any one try The Beatles (White Album ) added today. Fails on my systems.????

Sorry i missed your post here, but at the time I thought it might have been a blip with the system, and did not push hard. Coincidence you were the guy on google search.

Chris

Hi Chris,

It is bloody annoying. I think I have fathomed out when this problem first started for me it was the 28/09/2018 as you correctly pointed out earlier when you mentioned the Alt J - Reduxer album (still haven't heard it). Since then the issue has got far worse as the weeks go by and Tidal continue to add new material that we simply cannot listen to.

Spurred on by your goodself and coupled with the fact that it's not just me, I have sent a message to Naim support asking them politely to put a rocket somewhere and get this issue resolved ASAP.

To be continued.......

I hope!

Mike

Hi, Mike

Thanks for your back up to Naim, as I stated I have reported twice. It will be interesting to see if any members report that they have success playing what we cannot.  Perhaps thoughts are that it is only when using a Naim Qute 2, this is not the case, mine fails with Mu So and N172 streamer.

Come on others please do some tests for Mike and myself.

Chris

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by glasnaim
Chris 179 posted:

Thanks TK421,

Should we turn this post around and ask members if they are streaming via the Naim app and being successful when playing any new content on Tidal ?  Can any one try The Beatles (White Album ) added today. Fails on my systems.????

Sorry i missed your post here, but at the time I thought it might have been a blip with the system, and did not push hard. Coincidence you were the guy on google search.

Chris

Hi Chris 179

Was reading your post this morning thought I would try what you ask. I am streaming via Naim app to Nova from Tidal and the just released White Album/Super Deluxe is playing fine.

Hope this adds to the picture and wish you luck in resolving the issue, things like this are really frustrating.

Hi Glasnaim,

Many thanks for your input. Please can others help, such as to build a picture.

Chris

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Voltaire
Gavin B posted:

Gordon - if you can't play any tracks at all, it sounds like this is a different problem. Have you tried logging out of your Tidal account on the Qute and/or app, and logging back in again?

(I've no idea how to do this!)

I have and it has not made any difference unfortunately.

Hi Chris,

I have just re-read an earlier post of yours and in particular your mention of not being able to play the new one from Paul Weller.

I notice that this was added by Tidal on the 14/09/2018 (so prior to when I first encountered the issue on 28/09/2018) and bizarrely I am listening to the deluxe version now it plays fine from the first track.

I am not gloating in anyway but to me none of this makes any sense at all. It is total b******s!

So far only the standard auto acknowledgement response from Naim to my enquiry sent earlier this morning.

Mike

Gordon,

Just a thought for you if you haven't tried already...

Using the Naim app navigate to Settings "cog" icon top right corner, then input settings, then select Tidal, then quality you should then have Normal, High and HiFi.

Try swapping these around and having a play about with Tidal to see if anything will play.

ATB,

Mike

Mike,

Sorry agree, can now play Paul Weller. This was twisting my mind at the time.

Chris

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by sjbabbey

Just musing out loud but if the issue is only with newly released files on Tidal I wonder whether the demand to hear these may be overloading the availabilty of these files on Tidal's file servers.

Well if it is I don't know what I've done to deserve a black mark on my Tidal account. They've had my money every month without fail for the past 3 years.

I'm sending an email to JayZ right now.

Posted on: 09 November 2018 by Voltaire
TK421 posted:

Gordon,

Just a thought for you if you haven't tried already...

Using the Naim app navigate to Settings "cog" icon top right corner, then input settings, then select Tidal, then quality you should then have Normal, High and HiFi.

Try swapping these around and having a play about with Tidal to see if anything will play.

ATB,

Mike

Very odd. That worked for one track and then back to can’t play..?

Also, if I log out and back in it will stream one track then back to can’t play..?

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by Voltaire

After further investigation it does seem that all albums stream except new ones that have been added recently. It’s almost like there is a date after which anything added won’t stream. For example I can’t stream Jakob Bro Bay of Rainbows but I can stream any album added to the site a week earlier. 

????

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Chris 179

Just noticed as a footnote that the naim app was changed and updated somewhere around the fifth or sixth of September just at the same time as this problem seems to of started 

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by TK421

A quick update from me.

Still having the same issues as mentioned above and alas no reply of any sort from Naim Support even though their initial standard reply mentioned 3 working days.

In my line of work this wouldn't be acceptable to a client.

Pathetic!

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Chris 179

Hi TK421.

Contacted Naim again yesterday for an update. Alison on customer service took my call, and will report. Gave her all the info we had, and also advised that the problem started circa 7th. Sept. diagnosed by what you can and cannot play, and then looking up album release dates.

Yesterday evening I was reading the forums again and strangely found that a Naim announcement posted on 4th Sept stated that a new Naim update would be released in the next few days." Possibly the 7th" and contained the following wording.

We are just about to release an updated version of the Naim App – available for free download later this week from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store – that makes it easier and quicker to discover and control your Naim products.

Here are just some of the improvements in the new release:

• Improved discovery system – making it easier to find products and servers.
  • Improved Rooms screen look and feel – making the App slicker to use
  • More support and tips – including enhanced troubleshooting 
  • Improved responsiveness of transport controls (iOS only; Android to follow)
  • Improved ripping monitor feedback (Android; iOS improvement made in earlier release)

Some fixes to minor issues have also been made, including:

iOS (v5.11)

• Fixed an issue where default Radio favourites may not be recognised and could be duplicated.
  • Fixed an issue where the order of inputs may change between launches.
  • Fixed an issue where it may be possible to browse TIDAL using a deactivated account.
  • Fixed an issue where it may not have been possible to favourite a TIDAL created playlist.
  • Fixed an issue where firmware information may not be updated immediately after a firmware update.
  • Fixed an issue where you could not skip to the first track when repeat was enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where extended characters in a Room name may hide the entire name.

Android (v2.8)

• Fixed an issue where the default text colour may clash with the background on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where setup may fail as location permission are not requested.
  • Fixed an issue where the multiform picker may scroll to the top every few seconds.
  • Fixed an issue where the USB and Radio inputs may erroneously be disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where it may be possible to browse TIDAL using a deactivated account.

Please note the several mentions to Tidal.  I E/Mailed them this info and have received the reply that I will be contacted.

Watch this space.

Chris

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by TK421

Good spot Chris and thanks for letting me know.

I am as up to date as possible with the app on all my hardware including Tidal app. I have no idea as to what else I can do at this point.

I do find it really strange that not many other subscribers are having these problems. 

I will keep everything crossed.

Mike

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Chris 179

Mike / Forum

Had a call from naim today . They still cannot replicate the problem in Salisbury .The caller Mark was kind enough to give me a TIDAL test login such as to test my equipment with another account. He also said he had done the same for another caller with the same problem I think it might of been yourself.  I logged out of my account logged in with the test account and had no change in the situation .I tried to get back to Mark but it was too near the end of the day and I think he had gone home I will tell him the outcome tomorrow.

Were  you by any chance the other person who he passed  the title test account and if so how did you fare .

Chris

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by TK421

Hi Chris,

No it wasn't me. I still haven't heard from Naim but I guess I know why now.

This is all rather worrying because I don't know how they can work a fix if they don't have the issues we are experiencing.

ATB,

Mike

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by jGolf53
Me Too! Over the past month or so I have had a recurring problem with streaming Tidal HiFi thru my NAC N-272.  First I will describe the problem and then list the steps I have taken to correct....without any success.
  • I have a Tidal HiFi account that has worked flawlessly for months
  • Recurring problem over the past month or so:  I will open the Tidal link via the Naim app - no problem.  See all of the music choices - no problem.  Go to "My Music" where I have preselected Artists, Albums, Play lists, etc.  All is visible and no problem selecting music.  Artwork shows up, tracks show up.  Sometimes Tidal will stream music for one or more songs and then just quit.  Often times cannot stream music after I've made a selection.  The Tidal streaming component will not stream music 50% of the time now
  • The iRadio streams flawlessly
  • I have a Uniti Core via UPnP --- it streams from the hard drive to the PreAmp quite well 90% of the time
  • I have another independent system with an OPPO streamer and the Tidal app streams perfectly
  • I am able to stream music on my Tidal app on my iPad
  • I log out of all of these other accounts/devices when trying to stream on my NAC N-272
  • I have 1 gig of fiber coming into the home.  The NAC N-272 is wired directly via Ethernet.  All switches and routers have been double checked.  Plenty of bandwidth.  I have reset all of the Internet devices - no change
  • I have reset and updated the Naim app numerous times - no change
  • I have unplugged the Naim system and replugged the system - no change
  • I believe I have the latest firmware and apps:  App version 5.11.2; Build version 4342; Streamer version 4.6.00; BSL version 3.2.0
  • My Naim system components include:  The NAC N-272 with an XPS-DR.  Uniti CORE. NAP 300 DR Power Amp.  Wilson Audio Duettes. and Transparent interconnect cables.  The system sounds terrific and I am pleased with everything except the Tidal streaming problem.
  • I have reported this to Naim Support - no response as of yet.
  • I have had an extensive email exchange with Tidal --- they point directly to Naim
  • These problems began to occur soon after updating the latest Naim app on my iPad with the latest version of iOS