Editing metadata

Posted by: john V on 10 November 2018

I occasionally need to add or edit metadata when my Unit Core is unable to find the information.  I follow the instructions adding the name of the artist and naming the album.  Then I click on"save".  I check the album on the CD list and everything seems fine.  Then later, when I go back to that CD, it has reverted back to "unknown" .  Any suggestions ?

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Rich 1

Try 'Clear Image Cache' and or 'Reset' in Settings, Other Settings. Rich 

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Rich 1

Also, do you click 'Done' before clicking 'Save'. I can't remember if you're prompted or not. Have a look at Core FAQ on Naim Uniti Core site, specifically Changing Artwork (it's near the end) just to confirm you're doing it correctly. Rich 

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by blythe

If you attempt to edit the Metadata immediately, or even shortly after ripping the CD, the UnitiCore may still be "transcoding" the files you're trying to edit.
You cannot edit files whilst the Core does this.
The core must finish all transcoding - such as creating MP3 versions (if the Core does this) or if you currently rip to FLAC, the Core would actually rip as WAV, then transcode to FLAC. (if it's the same system as the HDX and other devices).
Even after ripping just one CD, it may take quite a while (I haven't timed it but could be 30 minutes+) before you can edit the data.
Also, if you're playing music and tying up the Core, it may take longer before you're able to edit.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by deepinsight

JOHN V - I'm having similar problems to you. I edit the poor metadata that has been dragged in from the net, select SAVE and never see that data that I've entered again. (RICH 1) I can see no DONE to select.

I'm using the android implementation of the NAIM app as my iPad version refuses to find my UnitiCore.

Why is this so difficult on kit costing £2k ?

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by nbpf
deepinsight posted:

JOHN V - I'm having similar problems to you. I edit the poor metadata that has been dragged in from the net, select SAVE and never see that data that I've entered again. (RICH 1) I can see no DONE to select.

I'm using the android implementation of the NAIM app as my iPad version refuses to find my UnitiCore.

Why is this so difficult on kit costing £2k ?

Good question. In particular if you consider that excellent open source metadata editing tools have been available since years. Perhaps making things worse is a genuine trait of some new business models. Or perhaps Core buyers have simply been far too uncritical?

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by David Hendon
blythe posted:

If you attempt to edit the Metadata immediately, or even shortly after ripping the CD, the UnitiCore may still be "transcoding" the files you're trying to edit.
The core must finish all transcoding - such as creating MP3 versions (if the Core does this) or if you currently rip to FLAC, the Core would actually rip as WAV, then transcode to FLAC. (if it's the same system as the HDX and other devices).
Even after ripping just one CD, it may take quite a while (I haven't timed it but could be 30 minutes+) before you can edit the data.
Also, if you're playing music and tying up the Core, it may take longer before you're able to edit.

The Core actually doesn’t do any of these things. In this regard it is completely different to the HDX and US. It has no transcoding capability, except that you can choose to rip in WAV or FLAC.

The Core is a much more powerful computer than the old servers so you can edit and play at the same time, although if you edit metadata of an album that is playing then the album being played stops at the end of the current track.

I have once or twice found that an edit didn’t stick, but not recently and always it was immediately after doing it that I noticed it and doing the edit a second time, with the comment below,  always fixed it. One thing that helped on the odd occasion was that making a more substantial change, for example in the album title (adding a space or two was enough) made the Core recognise that it was now in Custom territory.

@DeepInsight your iPad not recognising your Core is not normal at all and it would be worth sorting that out because the iPad app is much better than the Android one, despite Naim having made many improvements recently. I suggest you start another thread on that and no doubt several of us will try to help.

best

David

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by john V

In editing metadata , I was trying to add album name and artist when the Core did not find the information.  The step that I was missing was pressing "custom" before I began the edit.  Then press "save" after data is added.  This worked for me -- good luck.  JTV

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by blythe
David Hendon posted:
blythe posted:

The Core actually doesn’t do any of these things. In this regard it is completely different to the HDX and US. It has no transcoding capability, except that you can choose to rip in WAV or FLAC.

The Core is a much more powerful computer than the old servers so you can edit and play at the same time, although if you edit metadata of an album that is playing then the album being played stops at the end of the current track.

I have once or twice found that an edit didn’t stick, but not recently and always it was immediately after doing it that I noticed it and doing the edit a second time, with the comment below,  always fixed it. One thing that helped on the odd occasion was that making a more substantial change, for example in the album title (adding a space or two was enough) made the Core recognise that it was now in Custom territory.

@DeepInsight your iPad not recognising your Core is not normal at all and it would be worth sorting that out because the iPad app is much better than the Android one, despite Naim having made many improvements recently. I suggest you start another thread on that and no doubt several of us will try to help.

best

David

I believe the Core whilst being able to rip as WAV or FLAC, it will still actually rip in WAV, then transcode to FLAC. Therefore it will be working in the background. But I could be mistaken...

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by David Hendon

Well [@mention:1566878603954304] you may we’ll be right, but because I have never tried ripping in FLAC as the Core cannot transcode to WAV on playback, I can’t confirm. Maybe someone else who routinely rips to FLAC with the Core can comment on how fast they can start editing metadata.

Other thoughts - you don’t need to select Custom before editing because the Core does that when it saves the edit. But if the edit doesn’t show up, going back into editing metadata and selecting Custom may br8ng all the edits back again.

One other thought. If the Core isn’t behaving as expected, a restart can often solve things. But this is a restart and not just putting it into standby.

best

David

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by deepinsight

OK Folks, time for an update.

My UnitiCore was eventually found by my iPad's Naim App and the interface for editing metadata is far superior to that on my android phone.

The changes I have made to the metadata have stuck, and are seen by the Naim app on the iPad and the phone. They also appear on the screen of my NDX but not on the view of the Uniti Serve from my windows PC. The latter point may cause me some confusion later as so far only about 60% of my CDs have been recognised at all, and then about half of those have been recognised wrongly - hence the requirements for the edit of the metadata.

Thanks for you suggestions, advice and word of your own experiences.