Audirvana for Windows

Posted by: HardBop on 10 November 2018

I've downloaded the trial version of Audirvana+ for windows and the remote app. My intention was to compare it as music server to Plex which I currently use. The server (on my PC) feeds into the nDac via ethernet with CCA acting as the streamer, with Ipad as the controller. However, I may be misunderstanding what A+ can do using my set up. Can it be used with CCA or alternatively via the Ipad using USB into the Dac? Unfortunately there does not appear to be access to the User Preferences with the trial version, unless I'm missing something, which may have helped me towards an answer.

I've tried browsing the internet for an answer but with no luck. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by dknk

Audirvana will look for upnp devices. CCA is not one. However, if you install bubble upnp server on your Windows computer, you can make the CCA an Openhome device which Audirvana will then see. Even so, the CCA will not play gapless.

Posted on: 10 November 2018 by HardBop

Thanks, that does explain it. I’ll try your solution. However, as you say the issue with CCA is that it doesn’t play gapless. 

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Sorry, I can’t help - although I’ve used Audirvana for a while now that has been on a Mac (headless and dedicated Mac Mini to be precise), and then not as a UPnP server but using its primary strength as a renderer, whence it can bypass the stock Apple sound drivers and hardware, feeding out through USB on a dedicated bus. In that mode it plays excellently (with no issues re gapless), just frustrating with some music due to itspoor library handling if your metadata is not perfect - meaning does not conform to what Audirvana expects, and how It expects the listeners to want to handle their collections.

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by dknk

It's a shame that the Chromecast audio device does not do gapless. It actually does do a good job as a passthrough device via optical to a dac. In my setup it sounds quite good. No gapless support is the reason I don't use it much though.

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by HardBop

Yes, totally agree with your comments. Incredible value for money and does not disgrace a good quality Naim set up...shame about gapless though.

i’ve been trying to install BubbleUPnP as you suggested, but struggling to configure it properly. Issues around the network set up...public host name and HTTP and HTTPS ports? I know the BubbleUPnP set up notes refer to possible issues, but my lack of a detailed understanding of computers has got me stumped. I’ll keep trying!

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander

If a player cannot play gaplessly things that should be gapless, then it is simly not fit for purpose and had no function in any Hifi system.

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by Bart
Innocent Bystander posted:

If a player cannot play gaplessly things that should be gapless, then it is simly not fit for purpose and had no function in any Hifi system.

Listening to DSOTM using a player that doesnt support gapless would drive me NUTS.

Posted on: 11 November 2018 by dknk
HardBop posted:

Yes, totally agree with your comments. Incredible value for money and does not disgrace a good quality Naim set up...shame about gapless though.

i’ve been trying to install BubbleUPnP as you suggested, but struggling to configure it properly. Issues around the network set up...public host name and HTTP and HTTPS ports? I know the BubbleUPnP set up notes refer to possible issues, but my lack of a detailed understanding of computers has got me stumped. I’ll keep trying!

Don't bother with the pubic host setup, disable that. That is for remote access into your network.

As for "Innocent Bystander" and their little diatribe, Whatever, feel better Now?

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander
dknk posted:

Don't bother with the pubic host setup, disable that. That is for remote access into your network.

As for "Innocent Bystander" and their little diatribe, Whatever, feel better Now?

Que? 

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by sjt

Hopefully a related query: I have just got Audirvana for windows, but it cannot find any UPnP servers or renderers on my network. I have them - asset, bubble server, and a 272 streamer. The logfile in Audirvana says "upnp devices found: 0". Other upnp control points like Kazoo or windows media player finds them fine. I looked on the internet but I can't find anything - most help seems to be for the mac version and the windows version looks a lot simpler (fewer options). Can anyone shed any light on this? Suggestions gratefully received!

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by likesmusic

J River Media Center is an excellent media player, and has a a superb iPad remote app called JRemote. Unlike Audirvana, J River are first and foremost Windows people so it would be a good way of checking out your system. They have full UPnP renderer and server functionality. You get a 30 day free trial with no restrictions, so you’ve very little to lose. And their support is very good.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by sjt

I got a reply on the Audirvana forum about the UPnP discovery problem. On my computer, I had a lot of virtual network cards. I was advised to disable them - I did this and this fixed it.