Audioquest niagara 1000

Posted by: Johnny5 on 12 November 2018

Anybody use the AudioQuest niagara 1000 l would like to know your thoughts. 

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Timo

I think there was a thread not too long ago, but I cannot recall details. Try the search function. Generally, power conditioner discussions tend to develop a long similar lines every time...

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Gazza

Pretty sure the Kudos 505 room at audio show east using Linn electronics were using Niagara 5000. When I enquired they merely said in the context of the cost of the system it was worthwhile. It was not demoed as far as I know.

Posted on: 12 November 2018 by Daniel H.

Hi Johnny. I am using an AQ Niagara 1000. I have my SN2 and ND5 XS plugged into it. It works great with Naim gear. It lowers the noise, without robbing the system of dynamics. My system definitely sounds better with the Niagara 1000.

I also like the surge and over/under voltage protection it offers.  

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by photoguy

I’ve been thinking for a while that conditioning is best for everything accept amps. Use an amazing high power cord from your amp straight into the wall. My Naim equipment was always better that way.  Problem is with Naim integrateds, you’ll need a external psu to make that happen (SN2 into wall, HCDR to Niagra). Wish I still had an integrated to experiment between that combo and an integrated straight into the Niagra’s high power outlet. Only one of those on a 1000. I know for a fact that Naim amps work better straight into the wall. They need to be able to draw current. That’s my opinion. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Johnny5
Daniel H. posted:

Hi Johnny. I am using an AQ Niagara 1000. I have my SN2 and ND5 XS plugged into it. It works great with Naim gear. It lowers the noise, without robbing the system of dynamics. My system definitely sounds better with the Niagara 1000.

I also like the surge and over/under voltage protection it offers.  

Yes you are right I got a loan of the niagara 1000 put in on my naim system and it sounds superb much better dynamics.. Bass is tighter and sounds cleaner. 1195 euro it is pricey but worth it if you have a good system. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Revoliño

In my case there wasn’t any difference in noise / sound quality when comparing a AQ Niagara 1000 to a “simple” Brennenstuhl I still am using now.

So for me it wasn’t worth the money.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Johnny5
Revoliño posted:

In my case there wasn’t any difference in noise / sound quality when comparing a AQ Niagara 1000 to a “simple” Brennenstuhl I still am using now.

So for me it wasn’t worth the money.

Yes maybe you have good mains power supply so no need for one I your case. Mine is night and day comparison. 

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Can anyone explain what this ‘noise’ is that the AQ reduces? My system has no noise whatsoever and when the music stops it’s completely and utterly silent. Am I missing something?

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Olly

I heard one introduced to a Nova and B&W 700 series system the other week. 

Clearly very beneficial in that situation, probably the best single change that was made in a dem of AQ ethernet & mains cables. 

The ‘noise’ is not acoustic noise you can hear from your speakers but electrical which obscures the signal that you want your hi-fi to process. Reduce the noise and you hear the signal processed more clearly. 

Probably not the best explanation and generally I’m a sceptic - couldn’t hear enough difference (ie any at all really) with a powerline on my Nova to justify the expense for example. Just listen with predjudice. 

Olly

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Olly

Or even without prejudice!!

Olly

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by photoguy

On a whim, plugged in my NAC72/Hicap/180 I was seling.  Well I don’t know if it was the sbooster I my bought for my Mytek Brooklyn + or the Niagara 1000, but I cancelled the ads to sell the Naim combo. It all started with a conversation about how good an old 72/hicap/140 was at RMAF 2018 and I’m back to the dark side. 

Oh, still have the 180 going straight into the wall and the hicap plugged into the Niagara 1000’s high output socket.  I’ll be trying out a Sablon Audio Gran Corona on the 180 and a Triode Wire Labs Seven Plus on the HIcap soon. Right now, it’s all Shunyata Venom 3 power cables. 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by photoguy

Should have mentioned I’m also using an Audioquest Tornado HIgh Current 20 Amp 2M power cable between the wall outlet and my Niagara 1000. Been reading a lot of Herb Reichert’s reviews. 

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Richi

I had a 1000 to try for one week with my previous system. It did not bring much (any?) benefit. I have not tried on my Naim system yet.

One of my neighbors uses a 5000 in his Classé Audio set and it is a dramatic improvement. Unbelievable actually.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Petersfi

I like the 1000, found it to be significant improvement in SQ, but less so if you add an xps.

A bargain if your budget doesn't allow for a Naim PS.