Should I keep my Unity Atom on all the time

Posted by: Paul.Fay on 14 November 2018

I am seeking advice regarding my U A, if I should not put it on standby mode and keep it on at all times?

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by hifi-dog

I put my nova into deep sleep during the week as I tend to listen weekends, so Friday am I wake it up so it’s warmed up for the eve..,

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

I use standby all the time. I can't say I notice it sounds any different to leaving it on. But it saves the planet.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Peder

???? If you are looking for the best soundquality, switched on all the time. Avoid standby.!

If you do not hear any difference,you should look over your installation of your music-system.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Paul.Fay

Thank you all for your comments, they all make sense, then ideally is to do what Hifi-Dog suggested

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by hifi-dog

agree its better when all warmed through but the nova doesnt take long to warm through form deep sleep. I woke mine up last night as working from home today and its toasty warm this am..

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Peder
hifi-dog posted:

agree its better when all warmed through but the nova doesnt take long to warm through form deep sleep. I woke mine up last night as working from home today and its toasty warm this am..

???? Hifi-Dog,....Given your first post and now this above.

Then you have never heard your Naim Nova perform optimally.
After the product is "burn-in",it takes about three days for your Nova to become "warm" after you turn it on.

And with warm I do not mean that the box should be hot..that it gets fast.
I mean that all the electronics,circuits,caps etc,etc shall stabilize themselves.
There lies the secret.!

If you turn it on on Friday,..and turn it off on Sunday.
Yes,then you never heard your Nova start to perform optimally.

????One question to all here: Don't your traders tell you about these things,when you buy your Naim product.

There are many such obvious things like above,that I read in different threads.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Yetizone

I’d leave the Atom switched on.

My system was powered down for a couple of weeks while away. As the main listening room (home office annexed to the house) gets pretty cold overnight, and having been powered down so long in that cold environment, the UQ2 sounded thin and strident when first switched on, taking a good twenty four hours to warm up properly (to the touch). Two days on and its now coming on song again.

I’d forgotten how easy it is to take sound quality for granted when kit is powered up all the time. Happiness Is a Warm Naim!

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

My dealer advised setting my Nova to sleep after 2 hours, whereas for my UC2 to leave it on. The new Uniti range has different architecture and the sleep mode keeps warms the components that impact on SQ.

Mike Sullivan posted:

My dealer advised setting my Nova to sleep after 2 hours, whereas for my UC2 to leave it on. The new Uniti range has different architecture and the sleep mode keeps warms the components that impact on SQ.

???? Mike Sullivan,....The old rules apply if you want the best soundquality,..Trust me,no matter what the traders say.
I say like Linn "Just Listen",..Then you get the proof of this.

/Peder ????

I’d be more inclined if I could turn the screen off!

Mike Sullivan posted:

I’d be more inclined if I could turn the screen off!

???? Mike Sullivan,...Agree with you,this must be Naim's fix...this is a really "wrong think" of Naim.

They tried to take the term "Lifestyle" a little too far.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Mike, as has been posted here previously,  the front screen switch off feature is coming in a future update.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Obsydian
Mike Sullivan posted:

That is what I thought, but recall someone on the forum saying No, it just keeps discovery active (if you have server mode on). 

I recall I measured power at the plug in standby it was next to zero.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by ChrisSU
Obsydian posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

That is what I thought, but recall someone on the forum saying No, it just keeps discovery active (if you have server mode on). 

I recall I measured power at the plug in standby it was next to zero.

If you enable server mode, you can hear the transformer humming, so it’s not just the standby smps running. Disable it, and you get silence. I find it a little hard to believe that the very low powered smps has been connected in such a way that it can selectively keep critical components warmed up?

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by EoinKav

All I can say is with a Unity Atom, if you can hear a difference with the unit being constantly on vs resume from standby (server mode) for intermittent listening ..... then I'm either doing something wrong or my audio perception doesn't warrant Naim.

I spoke to my dealer again and the concensus we arrived at was to the leave the new Uniti’s on, and only turn off if away on a break etc. As Richard says, and I confimed at a recent demo, an update is coming to enable the screen to be turned off.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

So from this thread I have garnered that audiophiles are happy to produce more carbon for a perceived increase in subjective SQ.  We are all doomed music is killing the planet.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

The good news from New Zealand is that our power is hydroelectric, so power on is green - zero carbon ????

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Peder
SimonPeterArnold posted:

So from this thread I have garnered that audiophiles are happy to produce more carbon for a perceived increase in subjective SQ.  We are all doomed music is killing the planet.

???? Simonpeterarnold,...Of course,..you invest so much money so you want to have optimal conditions.

?And it is not subjective.

Absolutely nothing I have a bad conscience for... on the contrary actually ????????.
/Peder???? 

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Tony2011
Mike Sullivan posted:

The good news from New Zealand is that our power is hydroelectric, so power on is green - zero carbon ????

Hydropower does not pollute the water or the air, but the  facilities can have large environmental impacts by changing the environment and affecting land use, homes, and natural habitats in the dam area.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Peder
Mike Sullivan posted:

I spoke to my dealer again and the concensus we arrived at was to the leave the new Uniti’s on, and only turn off if away on a break etc.

???? Mike Sullivan,....???????? Great,I told you that..then you have a good dealer.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan
Peder posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

I spoke to my dealer again and the concensus we arrived at was to the leave the new Uniti’s on, and only turn off if away on a break etc.

???? Mike Sullivan,....???????? Great,I told you that..then you have a good dealer.

/Peder???? 

He is great, very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I’d been looking to upgrade my UC2/NAP100 in my media room to get more from my Totem Hawks - he had a mint condition second hand Uniti2 just arrived, so I ended up landing that. Ironically, I was looking at a Star, but ruled it out as I need the screen off in a media room. Also considered the NDS XS2/NAIT XS2, but the Uniti2 was a third of the price and works a treat, so happy all round.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by SimonPeterArnold
Peder posted:
SimonPeterArnold posted:

???? Simonpeterarnold,...Of course,..you invest so much money so you want to have optimal conditions.

?And it is not subjective.

Absolutely nothing I have a bad conscience for... on the contrary actually ????????.
/Peder???? 

I guess you leave the car running without being in it in the mornings to heat it up to.

Its subjective to me as I dont hear any difference and I wont hear that my set up needs adjusting to hear it, as it doesn't  it sounds just great to me

I just dont see the point in leaving something on and wasting power and money for a superficial gain if any. But then most of you are happy to spend ridiculous money on a cable so it must be peanuts to you, 

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Guinnless

HiFi is a luxury commodity and cost a bit bit more to run than a cheap music system. Advice to leave it on just allows it to work at its best.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by DrMark

I know when my kit has been off for a while and I first turn it on, it does not sound nearly as good. Nothing subjective about it...and I am not a $1,000 cable kind of guy. But it takes at least an hour or 2 for it to come on song and fill out.  I often only get to listen for a few minutes, so if I turned it off, I would almost never get to hear it at its potential. Considering my electric bills are lower than almost anyone else I know, it must not be using too many kWh.