Cisco Catalyst 2960 – which model to buy?

Posted by: MarcusM on 14 November 2018

Hi!

This may be a stupid question since I know very little about switches, but here we go 

Today I use a Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch. I keep reading here on the forum that you may improve SQ if using a Cisco switch instead.

Since they are pretty cheap if bought used I’m thinking of buying one just to try. Just to know if there are better SQ to be had for relatively little money.

The recommendations I read is often for Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-L.

Wouldn’t it be just as good to instead buy a Cisco Catalyst 2960G-8TC-L?

I would guess that these two switches is pretty similar except the model with a “G” in its name is a “Gigabit-switch” and therefore a bit “faster”?

My "setup" looks like this: I connect my incoming “fiber” via a converter (supplied by my Internet supplier) to router, then to my switch and from there to different rooms in the house (via cables in the wall and wall outlets in the different rooms). For my stereo I have an Ethernet-cable from wall outlet to my Melco NAS and from there to my Naim streamer.

I figure that the Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-L would limit the speed but I don’t know.

So, the question: Which Cisco 2960 model would you recommend and why?

I can see models named 2960, 2960C, 2960L, 2960CX, 2960CPD and 2960G but don’t really understand the differences…

I just want an easy to use, with no extra gadgets, switch that may improve SQ in my system…

Thank you!

/Marcus

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by ChrisSU

I wouldn’t bother with the G model, especially if it’s a lot more expensive. Even Hi-res streams do not require gigabit speeds, and Naim streamers only use ‘fast’ 100MB ports for that reason. The 2960-8TC-L is the tried and tested option, so I would just go for that. 

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by MarcusM
ChrisSU posted:

I wouldn’t bother with the G model, especially if it’s a lot more expensive. Even Hi-res streams do not require gigabit speeds, and Naim streamers only use ‘fast’ 100MB ports for that reason. The 2960-8TC-L is the tried and tested option, so I would just go for that. 

Thank you for your reply, Chris!

Yes, the G-model is roughly twice as expensive as the 2960-8TC-L.

Since I use the switch ”after” my router to distribute Ethernet to the whole house it’s not only my Naim streamer that sets a “demand” on the speed. That’s why I was thinking that 100MB may not be fast enough.

I have for example my TV-broadcast supplied via fibre through my switch but I don’t know how much bandwidth that requires.

Yes, it’s a good point that “The 2960-8TC-L is the tried and tested option”.

I have no idea if there is HW differences between 2960-8TC-L and 2960G-8TC-L but I would guess that’s the case since they differ in “speed”.

/Marcus

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by TallGuy

I have one of each. I started with the 2960-8TC-L, but the speed of file copying was really very noticably slower than all other network transfers. These transfers were/are copying data (albums) on to the NAS - especially downloaded hi-res fies which are large, and backing up the NAS. As a result I bought a G version and don't regret it - no slow downs on the network now.

There is no sq difference that I can tell between the two 2960s, but there is a hardware difference -  only 7 ports on the "G" rather than 8 (on the "G" the uplink port counts as number 8. It's seperate on the older device).

My "G" is much newer and in a visble excellent condition, which my "L" isn't - obviously gathered some serious dust and scratches in its 11 years.

As for connection - the uplink should go to your router with your NAS and your audio endpoints connected to any of the 8 standard ports (by endpoint I mean Unitis, Musos, etc.).  Keep the switch for your audio devices only - use a second switch (the Netgear is ideal for this) from the router to distribute ethernet to other devices - the principle is to keep your audio traffic "local" so the data from/to the NAS and streamer don't have to go through your router.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by French Rooster

i had before the 8tcl refurbished on bay and now a brand new 8tcl , white model, bought for around 100 euros.  The new is better sounding.   There is a lot of brand new bargains on bay site.

Simon in Suffolk tested a lot of them and didn’t heard real differences. He uses a 3560 poe model, powered by ethernet.   For him, the poe have advantages.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Yes, any 8 port Fast (100/10Mbps) Ethernet version should be fine... the 8 port versions are fanless and therefore totally quiet.

i use various catalyst switches including 2960 and 3560... and they ‘sound’ pretty similar.

TallGuy posted:

I have one of each. I started with the 2960-8TC-L, but the speed of file copying was really very noticably slower than all other network transfers. These transfers were/are copying data (albums) on to the NAS - especially downloaded hi-res fies which are large, and backing up the NAS. As a result I bought a G version and don't regret it - no slow downs on the network now.

There is no sq difference that I can tell between the two 2960s, but there is a hardware difference -  only 7 ports on the "G" rather than 8 (on the "G" the uplink port counts as number 8. It's seperate on the older device).

My "G" is much newer and in a visble excellent condition, which my "L" isn't - obviously gathered some serious dust and scratches in its 11 years.

As for connection - the uplink should go to your router with your NAS and your audio endpoints connected to any of the 8 standard ports (by endpoint I mean Unitis, Musos, etc.).  Keep the switch for your audio devices only - use a second switch (the Netgear is ideal for this) from the router to distribute ethernet to other devices - the principle is to keep your audio traffic "local" so the data from/to the NAS and streamer don't have to go through your router.

Thank you for your detailed reply, Tallguy!

Okay, let’s see if I follow:

Now I have fibre via a converter to my Router, which still is fine.

From the router I then need two connections. One to my Netgear switch and one to the Cisco switch (that doesn’t pass through the Netgear switch).

I only have one streamer so the Cisco switch could ideally be placed near my hifi system. So, from router via cable in wall (but not via Netgear switch), from wall outlet to Cisco switch close to hifi system. From Cisco switch to Melco NAS and from Melco NAS to my Naim streamer.

Is that how you mean?

With this configuration is it still only one network? I mean, will it still be possible to transfer files from my computer (connected to Netgear switch) to Melco NAS (connected to Cisco switch)?

/Marcus

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Yes, any 8 port Fast (100/10Mbps) Ethernet version should be fine... the 8 port versions are fanless and therefore totally quiet.

i use various catalyst switches including 2960 and 3560... and they ‘sound’ pretty similar.

Okay, thank you for your feedback Simon and French Rooster!

/Marcus

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by French Rooster
MarcusM posted:
TallGuy posted:

Thank you for your detailed reply, Tallguy!

Okay, let’s see if I follow:

Now I have fibre via a converter to my Router, which still is fine.

From the router I then need two connections. One to my Netgear switch and one to the Cisco switch (that doesn’t pass through the Netgear switch).

I only have one streamer so the Cisco switch could ideally be placed near my hifi system. So, from router via cable in wall (but not via Netgear switch), from wall outlet to Cisco switch close to hifi system. From Cisco switch to Melco NAS and from Melco NAS to my Naim streamer.

Is that how you mean?

With this configuration is it still only one network? I mean, will it still be possible to transfer files from my computer (connected to Netgear switch) to Melco NAS (connected to Cisco switch)?

/Marcus

it is better, from what i heard, to connect directly the streamer to the ethernet port of the melco:   router to cisco.  melco to cisco and streamer to melco.   Other stuff to the router or other switch than the cisco.  ( melco has 2 ethernet ports).

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Frank Yang

I would not want to be constrained by  whatever future enhancement possibilities, so I bought a Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L Catalyst 2960 8-Port 10/100/1000 Ethernet Switch @ less than 100 USD on eBay. It works pretty well for me.

The "G" version will take you to  a speed of 1 gbps just in case you want to hook in something else apart from your streamer.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by AlanJ

Gb speed switch will be useful if you have multiple devices on your domestic network with Gb capable NICs and you want to ship large volumes of data between them.

Naim streamers dont have Gb capable NICs and yout Internet service is very unlikely to be running at Gb speeds.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by ChrisSU
MarcusM posted:
ChrisSU posted:

Thank you for your reply, Chris!

Yes, the G-model is roughly twice as expensive as the 2960-8TC-L.

Since I use the switch ”after” my router to distribute Ethernet to the whole house it’s not only my Naim streamer that sets a “demand” on the speed. That’s why I was thinking that 100MB may not be fast enough.

I have for example my TV-broadcast supplied via fibre through my switch but I don’t know how much bandwidth that requires.

These switches generally have either one or two dual purpose RJ45/SFP ports which run at gigabit speeds, it’s the 8 regular ports that are 100MB. I use these gigabit ports (with SFPs, but that’s another matter) as ‘uplink’ ports to network the house, with individual devices on the regular ports, and that works fine for me. But if you need more, yes, just get the GB switch. 

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by T38.45

...this switch is the best VFM ever....I'm on the final line of digital audio now....ND555 + Chord Cable + Innuos MK3 Zen (on order)....

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by MarcusM
French Rooster posted:

it is better, from what i heard, to connect directly the streamer to the ethernet port of the melco:   router to cisco.  melco to cisco and streamer to melco.   Other stuff to the router or other switch than the cisco.  ( melco has 2 ethernet ports).

Yes, the Melco have two Ethernet ports. One to connect to the streamer and one to connect to “Internet”.

The connection I have used was: Fibre via “media converter” to Router. From Router via Netgear switch to the Melco and from Melco to Streamer.

Today I did some experimenting. I tried to skip the Netgear switch and instead go directly from the router to my Melco (via patch panel and Ethernet cable in the wall of the house).

This gave an improved SQ 

The Netgear switch is distributing internet to the whole house so maybe no big surprise that the SQ was improved when not connecting to this “noisy” switch?

I also tried to exchange my “cheap Ethernet cables” with Chord C-stream. The two positions I tried was from media converter to Router and from Router to “patch panel” that routes the Ethernet cable to my Melco.

In both positions I could hear an improvement. A quite small one but still an improvement. To skip the Netgear swith (as described above) also gave a small improvement. A bit bigger than the cables but still rather small.

So the connection in my “media central” is decided. I will use Chord C-stream and skip the Netgear switch for connecting to my hifi kit.

The Netgear switch was degrading the SQ but are you all still saying that adding a Cisco 2960 close to my hifi system would increase SQ?

In that case the connection would be: From wall outlet to Cisco switch. From Cisco switch to Melco NAS and from Melco NAS to my Naim streamer.

The alternative without Cisco switch would be: From wall outlet to Melco and from Melco to Naim streamer.

The last alternative is a bit more “clean” and do not add a product with a power supply close to my kit. Will adding another switch close to my stereo really improve SQ?

I guess that it’s only one way to find out…

/Marcus

T38.45 posted:

...this switch is the best VFM ever....I'm on the final line of digital audio now....ND555 + Chord Cable + Innuos MK3 Zen (on order)....

That will be a very nice “source”! Will sound beautiful, I’m sure 

Which model of “Chord Cable” will you use? Have you demoed different models?

/Marcus

Thank you for your replies, CHRISSU, ALANJ and FRANK YANG!

My original plan was to replace my current Netgear switch with the Cisco 2960 and it was therefore I was concerned with the “speed”.

I have now realised (thanks to you here on the forum and some experimenting this evening) that it’s wiser to keep the Netgear switch for the rest of the house and bypass it for the connection to my hifi system.

The Cisco will then only be used between my wall outlet and the Melco NAS so I guess that speed will not be that critical.

Thanks!

/Marcus

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by French Rooster
MarcusM posted:

Thank you for your replies, CHRISSU, ALANJ and FRANK YANG!

My original plan was to replace my current Netgear switch with the Cisco 2960 and it was therefore I was concerned with the “speed”.

I have now realised (thanks to you here on the forum and some experimenting this evening) that it’s wiser to keep the Netgear switch for the rest of the house and bypass it for the connection to my hifi system.

The Cisco will then only be used between my wall outlet and the Melco NAS so I guess that speed will not be that critical.

Thanks!

/Marcus

i see on your profile that you use chord sarum ethernet cables.  Are you satisfied with them?  have you compared with other ethernet cables?    just curious.  I use audioquest diamond for myself.

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by T38.45
MarcusM posted:
T38.45 posted:

That will be a very nice “source”! Will sound beautiful, I’m sure 

Which model of “Chord Cable” will you use? Have you demoed different models?

/Marcus

Dealer recommends the Shawline, it will arrive with Innuos....guess it is much better than the cable I use now :-) it‘s a standard cable ....

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Just remember some so called ‘standard’ cables can be the best cables you can use. There are many variables to ‘standard’ cables which when in interacting  with your streamer might sound  preferable. In other words there is no such thing as a ‘standard’ cable.. just cables marketed to the consumer audiophile market and those that are not.

To Marcus’s posting earlier on, you might be slightly confused how Ethernet works.. there is no effective distribution of the ‘internet’ via a switch. Connection to and from the internet is via your router at the IP level.. therefore any device communicating with the internet on your home network  will need to be routed through your router and use something called Internet Protocol and use  IP addressing. Routers work at the IP level which is a higher protocol level encapsulated within the Ethernet data frames. At the Ethernet level, such as used by your switch, the internet is invisible to your devices on your home network.. all they know about are the Ethernet port addresses (Mac addresses) of devices on your home network, including the Ethernet port address of your router.

One thing to bear in mind is at the Ethernet and higher levels, such as multicast discovery, there is a lot of administration data traffic on your home network, which has nothing to do with internet and is irrelevant for the internet. This administration traffic allows the devices on your home network to communicate with each other. It also allows application services to know about each other and communicate with each other. The larger your home network or the more applications and internet of things type devices you have on your home network the busier and noisier it will be.. this will affect the processing your streamer does if on the network and may affect SQ.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by T38.45

...my standar cable comes free with my fritz box...so i think there is room for improvement ;-)

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by MarcusM
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Just remember some so called ‘standard’ cables can be the best cables you can use. There are many variables to ‘standard’ cables which when in interacting  with your streamer might sound  preferable. In other words there is no such thing as a ‘standard’ cable.. just cables marketed to the consumer audiophile market and those that are not.

To Marcus’s posting earlier on, you might be slightly confused how Ethernet works.. there is no effective distribution of the ‘internet’ via a switch. Connection to and from the internet is via your router at the IP level.. therefore any device communicating with the internet on your home network  will need to be routed through your router and use something called Internet Protocol and use  IP addressing. Routers work at the IP level which is a higher protocol level encapsulated within the Ethernet data frames. At the Ethernet level, such as used by your switch, the internet is invisible to your devices on your home network.. all they know about are the Ethernet port addresses (Mac addresses) of devices on your home network, including the Ethernet port address of your router.

One thing to bear in mind is at the Ethernet and higher levels, such as multicast discovery, there is a lot of administration data traffic on your home network, which has nothing to do with internet and is irrelevant for the internet. This administration traffic allows the devices on your home network to communicate with each other. It also allows application services to know about each other and communicate with each other. The larger your home network or the more applications and internet of things type devices you have on your home network the busier and noisier it will be.. this will affect the processing your streamer does if on the network and may affect SQ.

Thank you for your reply Simon!

English is not my native language so I’m a bit limited when expressing myself and therefor I take some “shortcuts”. For example when writing distributing “Internet” instead of describing it more in detail or using the correct terms. Sure, not so well expressed and maybe a little bit lazy but hopefully most people understand what I mean.

Also, I'm not so tech-savvy when it comes to computer-related issues such as routers, switches, etc. That’s why I posted the question about which Cisco switch to buy.

Yes, I understand that you need a router and can’t bypass it. I see a switch more as a “distribution block” for Ethernet connection but maybe that is a wrong way of looking at it…?

I have another interesting (at least to me) question regarding the router. Since you cannot bypass it there could be a possibility to an improved SQ in getting “the right router”. Is there something like an “audiophile router” which could give improved SQ? Anyone tested any good routers and found an improved SQ?

Could it also give an improved SQ if you add for example an “iFi iPower trafo” to your existing Router? Have anyone tried that?

/Marcus

French Rooster posted:

i see on your profile that you use chord sarum ethernet cables.  Are you satisfied with them?  have you compared with other ethernet cables?    just curious.  I use audioquest diamond for myself.

Yes, I have a Sarum SA streaming cable from my Melco NAS to my Naim streamer. From wall outlet to Melco NAS I use Chord C-stream but am thinking about upgrading to something “better”.

I haven’t done many comparisons of Ethernet cables. Off course to a few “cheap” Ethernet cables that I had laying around at home and compared to them Sarum SA is much better.

Before I bought the Sarum I also compared it to an Audioquest cable. I don’t remember which model but if I recall correctly it was approximately 1k Euro for 1 meter. The Sarum was much better than the Audioquest cable in that particular system (NDS + 2 x 555ps, NAC552, NAP500). Maybe not a fair comparison since the Sarum I more expensive but the result/outcome was very clear.

I participated at an NDX2-demo and asked if the new streaming platform is less sensitive when it comes to streaming cables.

When I got my ND555 installed last week my dealer and distributor was kind enough to bring Sarum T and Music streaming cable. They asked if I was interested in getting an answer to my question. Off course I wanted to hear those cables. And yes, unfortunately the Sarum T was quite a bit better than Sarum SA and Music was better still.

We only tested the last meter from Melco to ND555. I also need to evaluate what level of Ethernet cable to use for the connection from wall outlet to Melco NAS and if I should add a Cisco switch or not.

If I add a Cisco switch I need an additional Ethernet cable but maybe that will still be the best choice?

For roughly the same amount of money you could get:

1, 3m Chord Signature Streaming cable

2, 3m Shawline + Melco 2960 switch + 1m Epic Streaming cable.

Which will give best SQ, alternative 1 or 2? What would be your guess or have you tested something like this?

Will I get best SQ in adding a “better” Ethernet cable or will it be better to have ”cheaper” cables and an Cisco switch?

/Marcus

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Peder

???? Marcusm,...We have built Linear Power Supply's = LPS to our WS-C2960-8TC-L Cisco's.

It was clearly better,..maybe it's something you should try on a router too....

/Peder ????

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Peder

???? Marcusm wrote,...."Will I get best SQ in adding a “better” Ethernet cable or will it be better to have ”cheaper” cables and an Cisco switch?"

?We have tested..Start with a Cisco-switch. But you must test this in your own music-system.

/Peder???? 

Peder posted:

???? Marcusm,...We have built Linear Power Supply's = LPS to our WS-C2960-8TC-L Cisco's.

It was clearly better,..maybe it's something you should try on a router too....

/Peder ????

Hi Peder!

Interesting suggestion!

I’m not much of a “hands on” guy so building my own PS will not happen.

That’s why I asked about the “iFi iPower trafo” for the Router. Have you tested the iFi iPower?

I have read some posts from you where you describe your testing and tweaks for the Cisco 2960. Very interesting! Thank you for posting your findings!

Have you compared “lesser cables” + Cisco 2960 vs a better cable (with no Cisco switch)?

Which is the best way of distributing a limited budget when it comes to Ethernet cables and switch?

/Marcus

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by ChrisSU

Marcus, most people who use Cisco 2960 switches have bought a used one, often for £50 or less on ebay. In the context of your system, that is virtually nothing, so I would just buy one and see what you think.