New Mac

Posted by: Fabio 1 on 15 November 2018

Hi all,Ipurchased an iMac 21.5 Retina 4K 10.13.6 High Sierra four days ago.As I am completely new to the Mac I think it is better for me to update to the new Mojave and start practicing with it, instead of using High Sierra.Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Fab

p.s.what a beautiful screen for my pics!

Posted on: 15 November 2018 by blythe

Having just upgraded to Mojave, it behaves pretty well exactly the same as High Sierra.
Use either system and you'll basically not notice any difference.
The screen of the new ones is indeed lovely!

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

There is no real day-to-day difference between the two systems. Stacks is probably the only one I can think of - and I found it mildly annoying.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Fabio 1

Thank you guys.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Alley Cat
Fabio 1 posted:

Hi all,Ipurchased an iMac 21.5 Retina 4K 10.13.6 High Sierra four days ago.As I am completely new to the Mac I think it is better for me to update to the new Mojave and start practicing with it, instead of using High Sierra.Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Fab

Upgrades rarely have issues on Macs, but if you've imported important data make sure you have a backup you can return to.

Simplest option being to use Time Machine on an attached USB drive (non SSD drives are relatively cheap for high capacity these days, and personally I find the small portable USB powered ones from WD or Segate very good to the extent that unless I need much larger capacity I rarely buy powered desktop external drives now.)

I agree that you might as well just go straight for Mojave (not that I have fully yet!), simply as mac OS tends to get refreshed yearly each Autumn and it's only recently come out.

If you want to however no harm sticking with High Sierra, just be aware that Apple slightly annoyingly stops supporting core security updates for mac OS over a few years old - I like several older versions from when it was named Mac OS X, but most are no longer really up to date security wise.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by jlarsson
Fabio 1 posted:

Thank you.

Fab

Absolutely. The iMac screens are amazing. I have a 27/5k.

On mojave I agree with the others. That upgrade is easy with little re-learning., thii big visible change is ”dark mode”.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Fabio 1

Thank you guys.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Bart

I recommend just doing all updates as they appear.  In my 20 years of owning macs, that's never been a problem for me.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by winkyincanada
jlarsson posted:
Fabio 1 posted:

Thank you.

Fab

Absolutely. The iMac screens are amazing. I have a 27/5k.

On mojave I agree with the others. That upgrade is easy with little re-learning., the big visible change is ”dark mode”.

Yeah the screens are to die for. We also have a 27" 5K iMac. Brilliant piece of kit.