Speaker Cable for Uniti Nova and other questions

Posted by: kdl6769 on 16 November 2018

I am moving to a Uniti Nova from a Linn system that uses heavy duty bi-wire speaker cable. Uniti hasn't arrived yet. Wondered if anyone could let me know whether I would need a different speaker cable (i.e. single wire), or if the Uniti would accommodate my existing Linn cable (K400). Also interested in any cable suggestions (something appropriate but modestly priced and easy on the spousal eye).

2 more questions:

- can I connect a CD transport and use the DAC on the Uniti (bypassing the DAC in my CDP)?

- any compact floorstanders in the sub-$2000-ish range that people like with the Uniti?  I have Linn Majik 109 bookshelf speakers but suspect they will not quite do justice to the Nova.

Thanks.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

I use the regular Naim cable, bi-wiring doesn’t seem to be common with Naim amps.

Yes to the CD player using the digital inputs.

speakers are very much to personal taste. I use Totem Siganture Forest, but well above your budget. I also have Hawks, which are a good match and closer to your budget.

Enjoy the Nova, it’s a lovey system.

Posted on: 16 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Just use Naim’s NACA5 to start with.

Alternatively something from the TelluriumQ range should work well.

Why bother with a CD-transport is you have a perfectly good streamer/amp? Just rip the discs to a NAS and enjoy the music

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by kdl6769

Many thanks for the helpful responses.  Will standard banana terminations work?

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Mike-B
kdl6769 posted:

The Nova comes with a pair of Naim banana plugs 

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Gazza

I used NACA5 with Nova, sounded great.

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by Dreamblademyth

I use Tellurium Q Black 2  speaker cables with my Uniti Nova. 

Posted on: 24 November 2018 by hifi-dog
kdl6769 posted:

Yes. I went from TQ Black to naca5 with standard plugs on my nova..

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by John L F

I use NACA5 with my Nova to Dynaudio special40s and am very pleased with the result.

Make sure the cable is at least 3.5m long, mine are 5.0m long. See other posts on this site for technical explanation.

For my CD collection I bought an Innuos Mini Zen which produced good results.

I’ve heard systems that are more revealing but at far greater cost, however my system is very musical and a joy to listen to. 

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Klout10

Yes ... the combination of Uniti Nova and Dynaudio Special 40’s is really something special ????

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Woj
John L F posted:

Make sure the cable is at least 3.5m long, mine are 5.0m long. See other posts on this site for technical explanation.

I think this 3.5m min ruled does not apply anymore to Naim products, particularly it does not apply to the Uniti series and shorter cables can be used.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by kdl6769

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I ended up taking an eBay flyer on some inexpensive speaker cable made by Zu Audio that seems to be well regarded.  I will stick with my Linn Majik 109 standmounts (supported by a small REL sub) to start off, and probably look for some compact Spendor floorstanders (A2 or A4) in due course. Thanks again.