252 or CD555 ?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 17 November 2018

Thinking about my next upgrade, either 282 to 252 or CDX2 to CD555.

Any thoughts from those that have already made either change.....Or had opportunity to hear the comparisons ???

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet

Simples.... Source first !!

The 555 should be a big step up ... enjoy

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

I like both 282 and 252.  I find 252 more refined, but I like 282 energetic approach to music. 

But... source first

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by spurrier sucks

What is a CD?

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by MDS

Having lived with a CD555 for a couple of months now, I have no hesitation is recommending it, Wenger2015.  It is even better than I thought it would be. To put it into context, I tried my CDX2.2 powered directly with my 555PS. That sounded pretty good but it fell well short of my then four-box CD set-up of CDX2.2/XP5XS-DC1-nDAC/555PS.  And the CD555 is head and shoulders above my old four-box set-up.     And, of course, currently there are bargains to be had on CD555 head units, and you've already got the 555PS.  

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by wenger2015
MDS posted:

Having lived with a CD555 for a couple of months now, I have no hesitation is recommending it, Wenger2015.  It is even better than I thought it would be. To put it into context, I tried my CDX2.2 powered directly with my 555PS. That sounded pretty good but it fell well short of my then four-box CD set-up of CDX2.2/XP5XS-DC1-nDAC/555PS.  And the CD555 is head and shoulders above my old four-box set-up.     And, of course, currently there are bargains to be had on CD555 head units, and you've already got the 555PS.  

Glad to hear you are very happy with your CD555 and feel it’s a more then worthwhile upgrade....

I have been more them aware that many naimites are trading in .... and have been contemplating taking advantage of the situation....

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by davidf

Can Naim service cd5555 for long time?

i have cds2 so no replacements for me afaik

david

davidf posted:

Can Naim service cd5555 for long time?

i have cds2 so no replacements for me afaik

david

My dealer assured me on that point, David. Indeed, he said that Naim have CD mechs and lid mechs stored individually for each CD555 sold. 

So is it a case of more gains with the CD555.... as opposed to just a more refined sound with the 252?

That said I do like a more ‘grown up’ refined and relaxed sound ...?? 

Well, as I've said on here before, I'm not a fan of the 252, preferring the excitement of the 282 so you'll need to hear the 252 against the 282 for yourself. What I'm in no doubt about is how good the CD555 is. I think that will hold true what ever pre-amp it is feeding.

Mike 

MDS posted:

Well, as I've said on here before, I'm not a fan of the 252, preferring the excitement of the 282 so you'll need to hear the 252 against the 282 for yourself. What I'm in no doubt about is how good the CD555 is. I think that will hold true what ever pre-amp it is feeding.

Mike 

That’s very reassuring to hear, due to the fact, if I decide to favour the CD555 option, I may well be purchasing without the usual home dem.

As for having a dem for the 252 that’s not a problem as I have a very accommodating dealer... 

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by French Rooster

those who bought recentry the nd555 have sold their cd555.  It is an opportunity now to buy a cd555 for a good price.  The 252 will be easier to buy in the future.

There is also second hand nds at good prices now.

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Bert Schurink
French Rooster posted:

those who bought recentry the nd555 have sold their cd555.  It is an opportunity now to buy a cd555 for a good price.  The 252 will be easier to buy in the future.

There is also second hand nds at good prices now.

Yeah and also cd’s will become more and more available at good prices...

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by French Rooster

Bert, i am not sure for cds.  Perhaps you are right but also perhaps cds will cost more because of rarity, like used lps.

I recently bought a cd for 60 euros, because only very few on the second hand market.

Anyway the cd555 must be a great joy to have.

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by sktn77a

If you never intend to go with a streaming source then get the CD555.  If you think you will inevitably go streaming, get the NAC252.

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by cdboy

Have a very good look at streaming before leaping. There is a reason why so many CD555s are on the market ...

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by analogmusic

Not sure about that. The CD555 to my ears sounds very similar to an ND555.

which would one rather have, an LP12, or a CD555.

for me the answer is clear -  I would take the CD555 as CD's are available, but LP's not as much.

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by yeti42

The price of CD555 head units won’t stay low once the current glut is over.

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Clive B

You can't really go wrong with the CD555. If you decide at a later date that it's not for you, then I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on without incurring any loss. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet
analogmusic posted:

Not sure about that. The CD555 to my ears sounds very similar to an ND555.

which would one rather have, an LP12, or a CD555.

for me the answer is clear -  I would take the CD555 as CD's are available, but LP's not as much.

Not quite sure where the LP12 came into the equation

The question was 252 or 555 ....

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Filipe

MDS posted:

Mike, presumably you ditched the nDac or no longer use the 555PS

Phil

Back from walking 452 miles from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela for robocap dot org dot uk. £4435 raised so far for equipment for our NHS

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

If it were me, I’d get a CDS3, which is to me more musical than the CD 555 and thrives with the 555PS, and a nice used 552. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by rsch

Another vote for the CD555. If  you have the opportunity to get one at a reasonable price and you have a decent silver disc collection, this is an opportunity i' d not miss

For the preamp, if you like the presentation of CDX2/282, the 252 may be not totally satisfying. For the record i followed the same route. CDX2/555ps into  Nait XS , then  282/HC and finally  upgraded to 552 

Regards

Roberto

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by wenger2015

Just to answer a few questions...

Regarding Streaming.... I have heard the 272 now on many many occasions. No disrespect to anyone owning the 272, it’s only personal opinion and we like what we like but i found it somewhat underwhelming....maybe it’s virtues had been overhyped and I was expecting to much but it has put me off the streaming route for the time being although with the price dropping through the floor on the NDS I haven’t dismissed it completely.

The 252 has always been described as being refined and grown up, which is a description that appeals to the type of sound I like.

The CDS3 and The CD555  reviews and forum comments seem to put these two in a different league, the CD555 described as being closest to the ND555........but any opportunity to demo is quite remote.

As for 552,  I don’t think I could ever justify the cost considering my system sounds extremely good as is..

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

Assuming you want to stay with cd replay I would suggest the 282, while the 252 is a bet with longer term reach.

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by MDS
Filipe posted:

MDS posted:

Mike, presumably you ditched the nDac or no longer use the 555PS

Phil

Back from walking 452 miles from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela for robocap dot org dot uk. £4435 raised so far for equipment for our NHS

Hi Phil

The 555PSDR I used on the nDAC is now on the CD555.  My Ndac, supplemented by an XP5XS, is now used as a secondary source to play some albums that I have downloaded and have on USB sticks.

Mike