Tough upgrade decision : ditch the unitiqute for a 172 xs to pair with a nap 200 + LS50

Posted by: Djef on 17 November 2018

HI,

First) I  follow the uniqute 1 24/96  upgrade advice from Naim and bought a nap 200 that provide power to a pair of kef ls50.

Then)  I 've been lucky enough to try a 172 xs to replace  Qute

well that didn't go that well

I find that the  Qute have punchy togetherness that is missing from the 172 xs wich is more analytic and cold in my view

plus I had difficulties managing the lower mid bass with the 172 xs

and you need to trust your ear ....

From what I read in this forum that doesn't make sense ( Qute more pleasurable than 172 xs)

Well I wonder If anyone have ever heard or read something like that

thanks to any comments

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Well, as you say you need to trust your ears.. it is about system synergy. I have heard the 172xs sound exceptionally good feeding a NAP300 into a pair of Kudos Titans .. but never into a NAP200

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by ChrisSU

I’ve heard a 172/200, and thought it sounded very good, so I’m a little surprised by your findings, but yes, you should trust your ears. I wonder if the 172 was set up properly, or needed a service?

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by feeling_zen

The Qute is a magical little item and by all accounts, it is easy to break the spell by adding a power amp or simply moving away from it.

So I'd pose this: do you have to ditch the Qute all? Can you just repurpose it for another system and then figure out what to do with the main system and 200? If the 172 didn't do it for you, then don't buy it. But there are other things out there that might give compelling upgrade paths. Like a second hand ND5XS and a NAC202 or NAC152. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Rich 1

I personally was very disappointed with the 172. The audio pre amp section is very poor. I had considered it as an upgrade to an existing Naim pre but decided to save up for a 272 instead. You have to believe your ears though and not mine. Rich 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Timo
Rich 1 posted:

I personally was very disappointed with the 172. The audio pre amp section is very poor. I had considered it as an upgrade to an existing Naim pre but decided to save up for a 272 instead. You have to believe your ears though and not mine. Rich 

Saving up for a 272 sounds like a sensible proposal — good value for money in the used market. And it provides an upgrade path with an additional power supply that improves both source and preamp. 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by TK421

+1 for a used 272.

I was using a 272, NAP200 (non DR) and LS50's and for me it sounded pretty darn good.

Then the itch got far worse and I was prescribed a 555PS DR to ease the symptoms. I have a sneaky feeling the next prescription will be speaker related but I'm in no rush.

ATB,

Mike 

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Djef

Thanks for you comments

First) I  want to say that the 172 xs is better is some part of the equation like piano sustain , tonal color (in french : timbre) but overall the qute 'boogy' more is that mean something

2) THX to let me know that  a nap272 + nap200 + ls50 is a combination that could be relevant ( I'm questioning everything , so even the ls50 that i'm fond, are on the line )

3) may be I should saved some money and wait for a good deal on a 272  in a year or two

Concerning a very legitimate question , is the 172 xs is in a proper functional way

It come from a establish dealer that I trust,

There is one question that is uncertain for me and this related to the interconnection  cable between source and nap200.

The one that interconnect the Qute with nap200 is a teddy pardo with wbt rca connector gold plated etc , the other is a standard naim snaic (connected on the good side, sleeve first !)

I doubt it could be related  ?

For those who have 172 xs + nap200  how do you connected them ?

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by JWM

When I first thought seriously of changing from CD to streaming, I wasn’t so excited by the XP5XS or 172 compared with my CDX2/202-based system. The 272 was the game changer for me. I’m glad I hung on a year.

BUT if you like U/Q+200, why change? No cost!

UPDATE : I try everything , changing speaker position on a half centimeter grid pattern, I even change the level of sand in my speaker stand.

At the end I will keep my Qute.

I think there at least two possible explanation here

1)  the 4.6 streamer update that leveled thing up

2) .. the dedicated power supply for the Qute

Posted on: 18 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Is the Qute newer streaming technology than the 172? Source first perhaps?

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by ChrisSU

The only cable you need to connect them is the one that Naim supply with the NAP200, which has a 4 pin DIN at both ends. Give it a try, you might like it. 

(This is a SNAIC cable, which can also supply power to a Naim preamp from the 200, which the 172 does not use, but it’s still the correct cable to use.)

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by David Hendon

Was the 172 xs on the latest firmware? Likely not  I expect.

best

David

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by spurrier sucks

I like the Qute more than I did my SN1. Sold the SN1 and have been very happy with the Qute.