Atom - any progress on display off when playing ?

Posted by: cdboy on 18 November 2018

There was chat a year ago about the inability to turn the Atom display off when in use. See here: https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...-while-playing-howto

Any update please Naim? As the new streamers have this option surely it cannot be too hard to implement on the Uniti range? 

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Pev

Another one here who is fed up with waiting!

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Klout10

I was about to post a similar topic ... about a year now that we are hearing that Naim is working on this ... any update on the timing would be highly appreciated!

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by David Hendon

Naim probably won’t read this thread (they don’t read them routinely) and so you would all do better to ask the question using the feedback option in the app. It’s only going to get done if Naim assigns it the right priority.

bedt

David

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Klout10

I've dropped Naim an email ... got an auto-reply stating that they will respond within 7 working days. 

Keep you posted!

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by ardemk

In the same situation as you. I've just bought an Atom and so disappointed that the display cannot be turned off.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Peder

????Naim has probably had a lot to do,with the first problems with the Atom launch..and later the other launches.....
? Star,Nova,ND5XS2,NDX2 and ND555.

But now have the time run out,..Naim must fix this NOW.
Even my son complains about this display,and he's not so interested in Hifi.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by hifi-dog

dont worry folks - its not far away...

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Klout10

Please tell me ...

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Klout10

Reply from Naim: "the display off feature is on the product roadmap but we cannot commit to a timescale at this moment in time."

So basically we don't know anything more now ... 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by ardemk

Thank you for your update!

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Pev
Klout10 posted:

Reply from Naim: "the display off feature is on the product roadmap but we cannot commit to a timescale at this moment in time."

Over a year after launch that really is pathetic! 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by jasons

Naim seem to be falling behind somewhat, especially after Paul 'retired'.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by glasnaim

I would unfortunately have to agree, had a discussion recently with my dealer who felt Naim are going through a bit of a change. I have a Unitiserve that has been in Salisbury for the last 6 weeks with no date for return, so not very impressed by timescales or the standard warranty charge of £340 for an undiagnosed repair.

Also technical support for the new Uniti range seems to be outsourced which means the expert and usually quick responses I've had from Phil and his team are a thing of the past, I don't see this as progress.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by hungryhalibut
Pev posted:
Klout10 posted:

Over a year after launch that really is pathetic! 

I don’t disagree - it’s basic functionality that should have been there from day one. Rather like the Core, which initially couldn’t change metadata. Like, durr. The Uniti launch was an almighty bodge up, and these annoying glitches are still to be resolved, two years after the launch announcement. The fact they they seem to have learned from it with the launch of the new streamers doesn’t make it any less annoying to owners of Unitis that still don’t do these basic things. 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Granthar

Quick fix, change all the album art to 600 x 600 black squares

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Woj

It is bad. I do not think they will do anything (quickly) to please existing owners.  They seems to be busy developing new product and selling them so, I guess, enhancing the software to please people who already gave them money is sort of not very economical as it will not bring any new revenue. In the end of the day, this is the only thing which matters for every company.

Or, the product is not very well designed? I mean, I have an old Squeezebox Touch and it has got a light sensor to adjust automatically brightness and also there are plenty of settings to adjust the brightness (including full off) of the display. Maybe they did not planned to provide such feature in the first place? A premium product with no basic ( erm...premium) features? This applies to many other requests we made which have not been implemented.

If you look at pictures of the screen taken at the pre-launch events or press materials you will notice that the screen was planned to be much more interactive (for example album browsing) and informative. Suddenly after the launch there is nothing the user can do with it to adjust it in any way. Even the Radio Paradise is unable to display album art of currently played song.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Woj
Peder posted:

????Naim has probably had a lot to do,with the first problems with the Atom launch..and later the other launches.....
? Star,Nova,ND5XS2,NDX2 and ND555.

But now have the time run out,..Naim must fix this NOW.
Even my son complains about this display,and he's not so interested in Hifi.

/Peder ????

My family is fortunately ok with the bright screen but they cannot get over that the system cannot be controlled via remote i.e. UPNP browsing is impossible. From one hand we try to limit the amount of time kids spend on phones and tablets and on the other hand....yeah the new range is designed for lonely geeks:-)

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Gazza

Not sure why people bought these Uniti products if the screen is so offensive.....just a bit baffled. Bought my Nova with screen, it’s a bit pointless imo, but, that’s about it.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by David Hendon
Woj posted:

It is bad. I do not think they will do anything (quickly) to please existing owners.  They seems to be busy developing new product and selling them so, I guess, enhancing the software to please people who already gave them money is sort of not very economical as it will not bring any new revenue. In the end of the day, this is the only thing which matters for every company.

Or, the product is not very well designed? I mean, I have an old Squeezebox Touch and it has got a light sensor to adjust automatically brightness and also there are plenty of settings to adjust the brightness (including full off) of the display. Maybe they did not planned to provide such feature in the first place? A premium product with no basic ( erm...premium) features? This applies to many other requests we made which have not been implemented.

If you look at pictures of the screen taken at the pre-launch events or press materials you will notice that the screen was planned to be much more interactive (for example album browsing) and informative. Suddenly after the launch there is nothing the user can do with it to adjust it in any way. Even the Radio Paradise is unable to display album art of currently played song.

Naim may not do anything to please existing owners, although they do often do firmware releases to do just that, but they want to sell a lot more of these Unitis and that’s why they will want to fix this issue.

But I suspect that they aren’t getting that many complaints from customers and that’s why it’s on the development roadmap and not in the to do quickly bucket.

best

David

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by ardemk
Gazza posted:

Not sure why people bought these Uniti products if the screen is so offensive.....just a bit baffled. Bought my Nova with screen, it’s a bit pointless imo, but, that’s about it.

In my case I did not know prior to the purchase that it couldn't be turned off or even go black after x minutes of idle instead of constantly displaying the selected input... 

As for why it is important to me, because it limits the viewing experience of watching a movie in a dark environment. This is particularly true if you want to enjoy the near-black details of the image with a hdr signal. Any light source, even this dim, will hurt the luminance range your eye will perceive. 

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by hifi-dog

Put a cloth amp bet it when watching movie as an interim?

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by ardemk

Yes, that does the trick but not very elegant

Posted on: 21 November 2018 by cdboy

Thanks everyone. Email sent to the help line as well. We live in hope

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by GregWPGibbs

The main new feature of the next Uniti firmware release will be the introduction of Apple AirPlay 2 to the range (bringing it in line with the Mu-so / Qb). I’m probably  a bit of a rarity here in that I use AirPlay extensively; but I have a long list of features that I’d like to see introduced before AP2 - including the ability to blank the screen, or leave the clock on permanently.....

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

All I want is gapless playback from other upnp control apps so I can play Qobuz or other stuff when not Rooning . I absolutey loath the Naim app worst control software ever. I like screen but agree it needs an off option or time out at least.