Naim NDX2 2 interconnects

Posted by: Radji on 19 November 2018

I’ve just purchased an NDX2 and want to connnect to my AV amp which only has either digital input or RCA input.

Ive read that the analogue outputs will provide better quality. Will an interconnect that is 5pin DIN to 2 RCA be better than RCA to RCA. I’ve seen that Chord have Shawline cables that provides either option and so has anyone any experience of these and which will give the best sound.

Radji

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Crispy

Can you try both and return one? Most cable companies offer some form of no risk trial.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Please remember that inteconnects tend to be directional. So DIN > RCA may not be the same as RCA > DIN.

For connecting to an AV receiver I’d recommend a good quality RCA-RCA.
But... I’m yet to see an AV receiver capable of doing justice to such a fine source as NDX2.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by feeling_zen

Naim streamers sound best with one analogue output used the digital output disabled. If you want to stick by that recommendation, and if you have an amplifier that supports it, take an analogue feed from the tape monitor out on the stereo amp to the AV amp. That way you can link the NDX up to the AV receiver without using any features that compromise its sound quality.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Klout10
Radji posted:

Will an interconnect that is 5pin DIN to 2 RCA be better than RCA to RCA.

In Naim's philosophy, DIN connections outperform the RCA ones, even used on one side.

So a 5pin DIN to RCA should sound better than RCA to RCA

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Bob the Builder

I would echo KLOUT10’s advice 5 pin Din to 2 RCA. Chord do some very good cables like this as do Naim if you ask them they will make one for you. 

I have Chord Crimson and Chrysalis RCA to 5 pin (the opposite of what you need) but both excellent cables. 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Radji

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the advice, it looks like I will try and source a Chord Shawline 5 pin Din to 2 RCA cable as this appears to offer the best quality solution for the equipment I have.

Ill post an update when I have got this up and running

Cheers

Radji

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Radji

Hi All,

Just installed the new Chord Shawline Din to 2 x RCA interconnect. Difference in sound is incredible.

Everything is more open and detailed. Nils Lofgren’s “Keith don’t go” is simply fantastic. Guitar solo was incredible, I really felt I was at the concert.

Cant wait for everything to bed in over the next few weeks as I’m told it will just get better. Thoroughly enjoying my music again, but with the simplicity of streaming.

Thanks everyone for your help

Radji