Starting from scratch

Posted by: What’s in a Naim on 20 November 2018

So, after my first few encounters with mp3’s (early Napster) I decided to ignore the whole “music from the web” thing, and happily enjoyed my LP’s and CD’s offline. The thing is, the world did not stand still in the meantime and, where I live, it’s getting progressively harder to buy the music I want.

So I was sort of forced to turn to the interweb after all. The things is, a friend who is into streaming showed me that it can sound pretty good too! Long story short: I’ve decided I want in.

So here I am, a complete n00b, asking for advice what to buy.

WHAT I HAVE:

CD-player: CD5 XS

Pre-amp: NAC-122X

Pwr-amp: NAP-150X

Flatcap 2X (for amp & CD)

Phono Pre-amp: STAGELINE (Denon DP-67L turntable)

Speakers: B&W 804 Diamond

WHAT I WANT:

Obviously the best sound possible for my money (I have about € 3000,- to spend (that’s euro’s, not $$, I’m from the Netherlands).  Now, most streaming devices I looked in to so far are either integrated with their own amp, or consist of a (rather bewildering) collection of separates. Since I’m still very happy with my Naim kit, integrated solutions are probably not for me.  Why pay for an amp I’m not going to use? But please do correct me if I’m wrong. That leaves me with separate “boxes”. And this is where I could use your help.

Before I go any further: any solution will have to with WiFi! I know this sucks, but it’s really not possible to run a cable through my house. So should I stop here and just forget about it, or are there good sounding WiFi solutions you know of? I’ve been reading a few reviews of the Cambridge CXN and I could find only ONE reviewer who used it on Wifi. He was just as enthusiastic as the other reviewers, so that gave me a bit of hope, but I don’t consider a sample size of one solid footing.

Since I can watch Netflix in HD on my PS4 that’s in the same audio rack, I’m assuming the bandwidth is enough for audio streaming. I don’t necessarily need a NAS right away, so if I understood correctly I’ll need a WiFi streaming device and/with a DAC, with an option to hook up a NAS later. Or something like that CXN, whichever is “better”

Sorry for the long read, but I wanted to be as complete as possible. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Guinnless

For your budget and sticking with Naim I'd look at the Naim streamers.  A new ND5XS2 is within your budget and will connect direct to your NAC122.

Have a look at Naim's website.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by What’s in a Naim

Thanks,

This is one of the devices on my shortlist I’m going to try to get demo’d In a few weeks. My main concern is that EVERYBODY, and I do mean EVERYBODY, keeps telling me I really have to hook up a streamer with a cable. Which I can’t. So, although I really love my Naims, my main worry is that I’m buying an expensive piece of kit that will sound just as good/bad as something much cheaper, because it has to work over WiFi. 

So, I guess I’m asking if there’s anybody out there that has had experience with WiFi streaming, preferably somebody who hooked it up to a good quality stereo (that’s why I came here

If WiFi is considered so inferior that this isn’t even worth considering, I’d like to hear that too. But I’m hoping that there’s somebody out there who knows of a way to make this work.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Gazza

I think in your case it’s important to get a dealer to set up a home demo that way you can see if your current WiFi setup can support a Naim streamer.

I've used (tested) my ND5XS wirelessly and there was no issue streaming Tidal.  This was through a 4G connection on my phone.
It probably sounds better wired though.

Thanks,

That’s the plan. Already found a dealer that sells Naim and Cambridge, among others. I’m fairly certain that my WiFi can support a streamer (Naim or otherwise). What I want to know is: does a WiFi setup automatically sound inferior to a cabled setup, hence making an investment in high quality kit a bit of a waste of money?

I’m sure I can get the stuff demo’d at my house, but I would not be able to hear the difference between cable and WiFi. So while, let’s say, the Naim might sound better than the Cambridge, that still doesn’t tell me if I’m paying way too much for a piece of kit that is perhaps underperforming in my situation.

I hope that I’m clear what my problem/ question is. Feel free to ask if you need more info

Guinnless posted:

I've used (tested) my ND5XS wirelessly and there was no issue streaming Tidal.  This was through a 4G connection on my phone.
It probably sounds better wired though.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by ChrisSU

The new generation of Naim streamers have much improved WiFi performance compared to their predecessors. They have 802.11ac WiFi modules, where the old models used n or even g modules long after they were considered obsolete by most people. When I first bought my Atom, I used it over WiFi for a few weeks, and it performed without dropouts, although I still decided to instal a cable. 

The other consideration is the wireless base station that your streamer has to connect to. If you have a cheap ISP supplied router doing this, there are now plenty of alternatives that can provide a much more robust signal if you need it.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Gazza

Is there no way you could run an Ethernet cable? I paid £140 for the guy that fits and services our house alarm to run a cable externally from the rear of the house around to the front through plastic conduit. It rather neatly just popped in to our front room through an air brick (saved drilling walls), connects to a Cisco switch and then streamer.

Thank you,

You say you tested it. If I may ask: did you use it over a longer period in your own setup, or did you just test it to see if it would work. And in the former case could you recommend it?

ChrisSU posted:

The new generation of Naim streamers have much improved WiFi performance compared to their predecessors. They have 802.11ac WiFi modules, where the old models used n or even g modules long after they were considered obsolete by most people. When I first bought my Atom, I used it over WiFi for a few weeks, and it performed without dropouts, although I still decided to instal a cable. 

The other consideration is the wireless base station that your streamer has to connect to. If you have a cheap ISP supplied router doing this, there are now plenty of alternatives that can provide a much more robust signal if you need it.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Ardbeg10y

This would be my take:

Since you need to use the wifi, try a ChromeCast Audio. It is working nicely over wifi in my place - I have good wifi though so I cannot comment how it behaves in difficult circumstances.

The ChromeCast Audio has one port which doubles for 3.5 jack and optical out. First try it on the 3.5 jack and validate that the wifi is working well. If it does ...

Get a second hand nDac. These are really cheap these days and would suit your current setup very well. It can also be used as an upgrade on your cd player. Get a mini-toslink to toslink optical cable to connect the ChromeCast audio to the nDac.

I live east of Zeist, south of Amersfoort if you need to borrow a chromecast audio, post on my wall it will end up in my mailbox.

You can also go the Raspberry Pi into any dac of preference route, but the RPi has worse wifi reception in my experience compared to a ChromeCast Audio.

What’s in a Naim posted:

Thank you,

You say you tested it. If I may ask: did you use it over a longer period in your own setup, or did you just test it to see if it would work. And in the former case could you recommend it?

My Broadband was down so I just wanted to see if Tidal worked OK, as in it was responsive and no dropouts.

Thank you so much, 

this is something I can work with. I have an Experia Box V10, which fits your description of “cheap ISP supplied” quite well. So I guess before everything else I need a better router.

If it’s not too much trouble: What should I be looking for in a router in this scenario?

Ardbeg10y posted:

This would be my take:

Since you need to use the wifi, try a ChromeCast Audio. It is working nicely over wifi in my place - I have good wifi though so I cannot comment how it behaves in difficult circumstances.

The ChromeCast Audio has one port which doubles for 3.5 jack and optical out. First try it on the 3.5 jack and validate that the wifi is working well. If it does ...

Get a second hand nDac. These are really cheap these days and would suit your current setup very well. It can also be used as an upgrade on your cd player. Get a mini-toslink to toslink optical cable to connect the ChromeCast audio to the nDac.

I live east of Zeist, south of Amersfoort if you need to borrow a chromecast audio, post on my wall it will end up in my mailbox.

You can also go the Raspberry Pi into any dac of preference route, but the RPi has worse wifi reception in my experience compared to a ChromeCast Audio.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by ChrisSU
What’s in a Naim posted:

Thank you so much, 

this is something I can work with. I have an Experia Box V10, which fits your description of “cheap ISP supplied” quite well. So I guess before everything else I need a better router.

If it’s not too much trouble: What should I be looking for in a router in this scenario?

I disable the WiFi on my router, but keep it for all other functions. Connect the wireless base station you choose to that with a short Ethernet cable. Give a little thought to where this is located - for example, high in the room can be better than near the floor. I use an Apple Airport Extreme, which continues to work well, but they are a dated design compared to what is available now. 

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by BLACKMASS

I’m sure I’ve got the wrong end of the stick but couldn’t you use Wifi ‘Smart’ plugs?

Thank you,

that’s really nice of you. And a pretty good suggestion.  You’re not the first one to suggest the Chromecast route, so I think I’ll give it a try. Since Chromecasts are not that expensive I might as well buy one. If all else fails I can always hook it up to the stereo in my bedroom.

I still have an old Audio Alchemy DAC lying around, so for testing purposes I’m practically set.

This, together with the suggestion of getting a better router from another forum member, is useful stuff.

Thanks again

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Matteo

ND5 XS 2 + external SSD

ChrisSU posted:
What’s in a Naim posted:

Thank you so much, 

I disable the WiFi on my router, but keep it for all other functions. Connect the wireless base station you choose to that with a short Ethernet cable. Give a little thought to where this is located - for example, high in the room can be better than near the floor. I use an Apple Airport Extreme, which continues to work well, but they are a dated design compared to what is available now. 

What’s in a Naim posted:

Thank you,

that’s really nice of you. And a pretty good suggestion.  You’re not the first one to suggest the Chromecast route, so I think I’ll give it a try. Since Chromecasts are not that expensive I might as well buy one. If all else fails I can always hook it up to the stereo in my bedroom.

I still have an old Audio Alchemy DAC lying around, so for testing purposes I’m practically set.

This, together with the suggestion of getting a better router from another forum member, is useful stuff.

Thanks again

I have that experia box as well, have fiber internet. Wifi of the Experia box is not too bad, but they are typically close to the entry of a house and that is inefficient. I have a cable from there to a Netgear (I believe?) wifi point in my chimey which is the central point of my house. But all main devices are hardwired, we typically put everything which could have a cable on the utp cable therefore also the mobile devices stay fast.

Stupid question: Bearing in mind that all devices in my household are on WiFi, why would that be better than a good router?

What’s in a Naim posted:

Stupid question: Bearing in mind that all devices in my household are on WiFi, why would that be better than a good router?

In my case we live with 6 in a house and a cat. I work mostly from home so we have frequently the situation that my older kids watch netflix, some friends enter the building too playing games and I need to do work (and stream music too). Thats pretty a load for wireless only. I would kill domestic peace by downloading an Oracle fix or so.

BLACKMASS posted:

I’m sure I’ve got the wrong end of the stick but couldn’t you use Wifi ‘Smart’ plugs?

If you’re referring to those devices that plug into a wall socket to send a WiFi signal from A to B;  that would be detrimental to sound quality, because of the absence of null current (hope I said this right). Suffice it to say I was rather convincingly advised no to go that path.

Matteo posted:

ND5 XS 2 + external SSD

It’s on my radar. Personal experience on WiFi?