Deezer on NAC N-272?

Posted by: jGolf53 on 22 November 2018

Since many of us are having continuing problems streaming Tidal HiFi on our various Naim components......any suggestions on how to stream Deezer on my Naim NAC N-272.  I would like to have a high def music streaming service to complement my CORE CD collection...and found Tidal (when it worked) to be an excellent way to sample and discover new artists or music....  I just can't figure out how to add Dezer directly to the Naim app.  I'm not too keen on adding another streamer input....suggestions are welcome!

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by ChrisSU

The easiest way to put Deezer on a 272 would probably be to get a Chromecast Audio thing and connect it to the optical input, as Naim streamers do not support it natively. 

An alternative would be to try Tidal or Qobuz via BubbleUPnP server, which costs nothing, and will run on hardware that you may already own. There are a couple of threads on here that explain how to set this up. 

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by jGolf53

Chris,  thanks for the tip on Chromecast audio...the problem with Tidal right now is that it has become very unstable on the Naim NAC N272.  See all of the other posts.  So I am looking for an alternative for Hifi streaming with a good selection.

Posted on: 22 November 2018 by Guinnless

It's more likely a home network issue.  Wired or Wifi ?

Hi Guinnless --- I wish the cure for the recurring Tidal problem was that easy....here is a link to all of the issues many of us are having with streaming Tidal and the details what we have tried as remedys....to no avail.

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/tidal-qute-2

I've just tried couple of "new" albums on my ND5XS and Qb and they played without issue.

back at you - Guinnless -- My recurring problem has nothing to do with"new albums"......see the following....

Over the past month or so I have had a recurring instability with streaming Tidal HiFi thru my NAC N-272.  First I will describe the problem and then list the steps I have taken to correct....without any success.
  • I have a Tidal HiFi account that has worked flawlessly for months
  • Recurring problem over the past month or so:  I will open the Tidal link via the Naim app - no problem.  See all of the music choices - no problem.  Go to "My Music" where I have preselected Artists, Albums, Play lists, etc.  All is visible and no problem selecting music.  Artwork shows up, tracks show up.  Sometimes Tidal will stream music for one or more songs and then just quit.  Often times cannot stream music after I've made a selection.  The Tidal streaming component will not stream music 50% of the time now
  • The iRadio streams flawlessly
  • I have a Uniti Core via UPnP --- it streams from the hard drive to the PreAmp quite well 90% of the time
  • I have another independent system with an OPPO streamer and the Tidal app streams perfectly
  • I am able to stream music on my Tidal app on my iPad
  • I log out of all of these other accounts/devices when trying to stream on my NAC N-272
  • I have 1 gig of fiber coming into the home.  The NAC N-272 is wired directly via Ethernet.  All switches and routers have been double checked.  Plenty of bandwidth.  I have reset all of the Internet devices - no change
  • I have reset and updated the Naim app numerous times - no change
  • I have unplugged the Naim system and replugged the system - no change
  • I believe I have the latest firmware and apps:  App version 5.11.2; Build version 4342; Streamer version 4.6.00; BSL version 3.2.0
  • My Naim system components include:  The NAC N-272 with an XPS-DR.  Uniti CORE. NAP 300 DR Power Amp.  Wilson Audio Duettes. and Transparent interconnect cables.  The system sounds terrific and I am pleased with everything except the Tidal streaming problem.
  • I have reported this to Naim Support - no response as of yet.
  • I have had an extensive email exchange with Tidal --- they point directly to Naim
  • These problems began to occur soon after updating the latest Naim app on my iPad with the latest version of iOS

Sounds like fun. ????

Based on your final Bullet Point have you tried using Bubble UPnP App on iOS? Or the Naim App on an Android device?

jGolf53 posted:

Chris,  thanks for the tip on Chromecast audio...the problem with Tidal right now is that it has become very unstable on the Naim NAC N272.  See all of the other posts.  So I am looking for an alternative for Hifi streaming with a good selection.

I have a strong suspicion that a CCA would bypass the issue you have with Tidal, as you are no longer dependent on Naim’s native Tidal implementation, which may be where the problem lies. 

Likewise, the Bubble workaround I suggested effectively sends Tidal to the streamer as a local UPnP stream, so if your Core works over your notwork, that should work too. This also gives you the option to try Qobuz lossless, and the consensus is that this sounds better than Tidal.

The CCA costs £30, and Bubble is free, so there’s little to lose by trying. 

jGolf53 posted:
  • I have 1 gig of fiber coming into the home.  The NAC N-272 is wired directly via Ethernet.  All switches and routers have been double checked.  Plenty of bandwidth.  I have reset all of the Internet devices - no change

A very fast internet connection does not help here. (For me, with 4.5Mb via a rusty old bit of copper, Tidal works well, but you didn’t want to hear that!) A well known issue with Naim streamers is that they have small buffers, and this makes them susceptible to high latency, not low bandwidth, on your internet connection. This might be caused by anything between Tidal’s servers, your ISP, and your router, so it can be hard or impossible to pin down. You might try explaining the problem to your ISP, although I wouldn’t be too optimistic. 

Ahhh Chrissu.....I haven't tried to throttle down the bandwidth....that does sound counter-intuitive...especially if I am streaming HiFi.  But an easy experiment is to switch the 272 to WiFi and the access points are limited to 50 Mps....so we shall see......

didn't know copper rusted.....maybe thats the key