Introducing myself

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 23 November 2018

Good morning everyone!
I wanted  to introduce myself to you all.

My name is Charlie Henderson, and I have just taken on one of the most exciting roles of my life, and a role that I feel privileged to hold, as the new Managing Director of Naim Audio.

I've been an admirer of Naim Audio since my teenage years (which is too many years ago now to think about!) and hold our obsession for producing the very finest in audio quality very close to my heart.

In a world where too many companies are busying themselves with dumbing down sound quality and compromising at every step, we continue to hold true to the values of our founder Julian Vereker all those years ago... that music should be heard as the artist intended. Not compromised, not fast tracked through like it is audio wallpaper, but appreciated like the joy that it is, a moment to stop, to reflect, to consider, to immerse yourself in the sheer delight of sound.

I've been with the team in Salisbury for the last couple of weeks, learning my way around, getting to meet the experts who make everything happen, and being able to see how the most stunning of audio equipment is produced, by hand and with absolute love, by the team here.

I look forward to getting to know, and to meet, many of you over the coming weeks, months and years.

Cheers

Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by AndyP19

OK Charlie big question here. What’s your favourite album of all time. That should tell us all we need to know.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by intothevoid

Welcome and best wishes Charlie!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Charlie Henderson

Hi Andy, great question, and hard to answer

First single was Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd - I got lucky at an early age and maybe peaked early...

Favourite album,... that's tough, I have a range of favourites depending on my mood.

Anything by Talk Talk, Turin Brakes, Snow Patrol. 

But probably two stand out favourite albums,... from my youth, Love by The Cult, and more recently, XX by The XX

Favourite album track of all time though, that's easy - Anna Stesia, Prince, from the Lovesexy album.

Now, I need to know yours

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by AndyP19
Charlie Henderson posted:

Hi Andy, great question, and hard to answer

First single was Another Brick in the Wall by Pink Floyd - I got lucky at an early age and maybe peaked early...

Favourite album,... that's tough, I have a range of favourites depending on my mood.

Anything by Talk Talk, Turin Brakes, Snow Patrol. 

But probably two stand out favourite albums,... from my youth, Love by The Cult, and more recently, XX by The XX

Favourite album track of all time though, that's easy - Anna Stesia, Prince, from the Lovesexy album.

Now, I need to know yours

Excellent choices Charlie - well done great answer.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Eoink

Welcome aboard Charlie.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Congratulations, that's a bit of a big boys dream job! And you get to hang out in Salisbury, which is wonderful place too.

I'm newish to Naim - 5 years and now seem to have three systems. My Nova is the favourite, a stunning mix of audio bliss and sexy industrial design.

Good luck bringing us great systems!

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Suzy Wong

You’ll be able to visit the “world famous” Salisbury Cathedral, known even in Vladivostok!

Hi Mike, it's easy how that happens, you start off with one taste of perfection and then you're hooked!

Thank you for joining the Naim family those years ago, and for the kind words about Uniti Nova - I totally agree with your description.

Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Kevin-W

Hello Charlie,

I would like to be first in asking the question the whole forum wants answered: Do you like Goldfrapp?

And what are your feelings on Bobbie Gentry and Throbbing Gristle?

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by dave marshall

Welcome aboard, Charlie, and long may Naim continue to produce the finest audio kit available, under your stewardship.

Hi Kevin, I'm sensing a trick question

Nothing wrong with a bit of Goldfrapp, but I've got to be in the mood, but must admit I like the Dave Gahan collab (bit of a Depeche Mode fan)

Not come across Throbbing Gristle before, but having listened to them a bit just now, I think I'd have to pass.... 

Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Tony2011

Good morning Charlie and welcome.

I see you have extensive experience in marketing and in the communications industry. Where do you see Naim products heading for in the next couple of years?

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Premmyboy

Congrats on the new job Charlie. I sense from your musical tastes you are much younger than me! I have old (Olive) stuff and new (Muso) in my house and love the Naim sound. As for favourite music it’s mainly 70’s based. Bowie, Roxy, Velvets & Lou Reed.

Prem.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Stevee_S

Welcome Charlie, what a great job to land! 

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by ALANP

Hi Charlie, a warm welcome and congrats 

Tony2011 posted:

Good morning Charlie and welcome.

I see you have extensive experience in marketing and in the communications industry. Where do you see Naim products heading for in the next couple of years?

Hi Tony,

Great question, and I can only share so much right now, but suffice to say, we are clearly seeing an ongoing increase in the importance of streaming, and the use of mobile technology as either a key or sole source for an increasing number of people, alongside an ever increasing adoption of high resolution streaming services. However, at the same time, it's great to see the continued rise of the analogue renaissance and adoption/revival of vinyl for example.

At Naim we strive to meet the needs of our customers across this spectrum, from all in one systems and players, through two box and marquee separates, up to the pinnacle of audio with Statement. The one constant for Naim remains our obsession with quality, and a focus on the finest audio experience, however we also look to evolve to help new and existing customers to move through the stages to increasing audio excellence in a way that is both easy to understand, but also retains as much flexibility and customisation as possible.

More to come.....

Cheers
Charlie

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Eoink
Kevin-W posted:

Hello Charlie,

I would like to be first in asking the question the whole forum wants answered: Do you like Goldfrapp?

And what are your feelings on Bobbie Gentry and Throbbing Gristle?

Surely the most important question is which is your favourite Pink Floyd album?

Momentary Lapse of Reason (although I own ten albums by Pink Floyd!)
(and the album photo with the beds lined up off in to the distance was also taken on Saunton Sands in Devon, near where I spent my holidays as a kid)

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Gazza

Hi Charlie, welcome to your new role. I hope you manage to get out and meet some of your great dealers, who I think deserve to give  you an insight into the business of selling Naim kit. Its probably not easy getting people to part with thousands of pounds on a daily basis. Good to see you have taken to communicating on the forum, keep it up, it has been missed.

Gazza

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Kevin-W

Momentary Lapse of Reason (although I own ten albums by Pink Floyd!)
(and the album photo with the beds lined up off in to the distance was also taken on Saunton Sands in Devon, near where I spent my holidays as a kid)

Hi again Charlie. Small point: A Momentary Lapse of Reason isn't a Pink Floyd album. But the cover is great - and I, too spent my hols as a kid in Dorth Devon and have many happy memories of getting sunburned on Saunton Sands.

On another note, what's your system at home? Are you a vinyl/analogue guy? Or a streaming kind of chap?

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

Welcome Charlie. I hope you will find an effective way of finding a deep connection with your customers (us). In this way you will be capable to manage a profitable business and we will get the great products we have learned to value so much. As always there is room for improvement and unfulfilled desires.  

Which you all the success in the world with this rewarding job.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by ChrisSU

At Naim we strive to meet the needs of our customers across this spectrum, from all in one systems and players, through two box and marquee separates....

So you’re planning on building on the success of the Bentley and posh yacht products by breaking into the highly lucrative wedding market? 

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Yetizone

Hello Charlie. 

Echoing the sentiments from the other forum bods, welcome and congratulations on the new MD role. I can imagine it being a very interesting time of change and development at Naim Towers! 

Good luck with everything you have planned for the company.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Christopher_M

Hi Charlie,

Welcome here. No back chat from me. Yet.

Best, Chris

ChrisSU posted:

At Naim we strive to meet the needs of our customers across this spectrum, from all in one systems and players, through two box and marquee separates....

So you’re planning on building on the success of the Bentley and posh yacht products by breaking into the highly lucrative wedding market? 

interesting thought ... but just a typo