The Renew party

Posted by: fathings cat on 25 November 2018

Hi all, at the risk of starting a political debate..... Has anyone looked at the “Renew Party”  

in my view watching the jeering in the House of Commons, the self interest and the general poor behaviour of politicians suggest to me something needs to be different. I am not suggesting all politicians are bad but the system they have to operate in (often not helped by the press) is a complete turn off. 

Would love the views of the guys that frequent this forum on if “ Renew” are a credible alternative to the current parties.

Thanks 

Gary

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Huge

SDP Mark II.

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Kevin-W

They haven't got a hope in hell. They remind me a bit of Macron's En Marche, just neoliberalism in new clothes and pieties about addressing inequality etc, but not really anything or new - and certainly not enought to win over either Labour or Tory voters.

The FibDumbs are struggling with a similar anti=Brexit, third way moderate approach, and I can't see how a smaller and much worse-funded party hopes to improve on that dismal performance.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Rich 1

I'm not happy with any of the parties, large or small. Individuals at best have their own, sometimes crackpot agenda's, at worst their own self interests at heart. To think that my father and grandfather fought two world wars and our parliamentary system and country is as bad now as it was then. Oh, and before any one says at least we're getting out of the EU. What's the difference between being ruled by crackpots in the EU and the crackpots in the UK because all the UK parties are riddled with them! 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by fathings cat

Well said! I firmly believe we need something different to what we have today... 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by AndyP19

I see Guy Pratt is a candidate. Reminds me of a time way back when our local newspaper asked the main candidates what was their favourite record. The labour guy chose 'That's what I call music'. The lib-dem candidate went for 'Simply Red's Greatest Hits' and Michael Howard chose Blue Monk by Thelonius Monk. I'll say no more!

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by thebigfredc
Rich 1 posted:

I'm not happy with any of the parties, large or small. Individuals at best have their own, sometimes crackpot agenda's, at worst their own self interests at heart. To think that my father and grandfather fought two world wars and our parliamentary system and country is as bad now as it was then. Oh, and before any one says at least we're getting out of the EU. What's the difference between being ruled by crackpots in the EU and the crackpots in the UK because all the UK parties are riddled with them! 

Of course we had a choice in 2010/2011 to fundamentally change our voting system and there by extension our political system from first past the post to a form of proportional representation (which I personally voted for) which was the Lib Dems price for propping up call me Dave's government. 

Only 6 million voted for change, 13 million for the status quo out of an electorate of about 45 million so a very poor turnout.

Using some other members rationale from the Brexit thread this means that only barely 1 out of 5 from a UK population of 62 million in 2010 supported our current voting system. Proof it were ever needed that we should scrap the lot of them and probably all kill ourselves.

Ray

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by AndyP19
AndyP19 posted:

I see Guy Pratt is a candidate.

Sorry to reply to my own post but just thought do you think Guy Pratt is going for the pink vote. 

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Huge

Not unless he teams up with Keith Floyd!