Nativ ripper/streamer

Posted by: Andy Widd on 25 November 2018

Hi, hope you have all had a good weekend.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of Nativ (spelled correctly) cd ripper and media server/streamer? 

Gets good reviews online and looks the part.

I would like to rip cds into this system and feed the ripped cds via spdif or usb into my Naim supernait-1 amp which feeds my Dali epicon2 speakers. Looking for cd quality sound here. This will enable me to get rid of my Naim CD5 CD player and use the Nativ as the music source for convenience. I will also wirelessly stream elsewhere in the house where MQ is not such an issue.

Your thoughts would be appreciated - especially if you think I’m daft for swapping the CD5 for the Nativ!

cheers,

andy

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Bart

I just now took a look at it online.  $1750 with a 2tb hdd.  And like the Naim Core, it looks like you're locked into their tagging structure (which is not explained on their website).

Andy, I several years ago decided to just go the do-it-yourself route, and rip cd's on my laptop and store them on a nas that runs a decent music server (Asset or MinimServer).  Total cost MUCH less, and much more personal control over tagging.  But you need a networked player (such as an ND5XS2, which is well above this price point). 

This device seems to be an all-in-one ripper, storage device, and dac.  It's at a very modest price point for all of that....and perhaps does not do your SN1 justice.  You'd really have to listen to it.

There are SO many options in this space!  

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Andy Widd

Thanks Bart, I can get a new Nativ Vita 2tb and the separate dedicated cd ripper for £1000 at the moment(special offer). I’m tempted by this offer as it looks as though everything will be straight forward in terms of selecting a ripped cd and playing it. However I do see the appeal of the DIY approach. Food for thought. Thanks, andy

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by jsaudio
  • If you want similar SQ to your CD5 consider taking Bart’s advice. I think you will need something like the Naim ND5XS2 to achieve that. At least audition before you commit
Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Qlder Brad

If you are able to, I would be connecting a PC/Mac first to the Supernait and test. 

I had an Audiolab 8200CD that I used as a CD and a DAC. I had my Mac mini connected to the Audiolab, connected to the Supernait. When the Audiolab was away getting repaired, I connected the Mac mini directly to the Supernait 1via Toslink. There was a very noticeable difference in the sound quality, big drop in clarity. I've never heard a CD5, but I'm guessing it is a big leap in quality over the Audiolab 8200CD, I suspect what you gain in convenience you will lose in sound quality. 

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Andy Widd

Thanks Brad and Jsaudio. I’m going to look into what you have suggested and do a little more research into the Nativ as well. If I do go for the Nativ I’ll let you know what I think re MQ.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by ChrisSU

Interesting to see another ripper/player entering the fray. I couldn’t see any mention of UPnP so maybe no use with a streamer, but a contender for direct play into a DAC. 

I see that it uses Gracenote, as do Apple for metadata lookups. I’ve found the metadata retrieval on the much maligned iTunes to be significantly better than the varous alternatives I’ve tried so that could be a good thing. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’d be cautious about something from a very small company, as it may not last. Remember the Olive servers? Having to select from a fixed touchscreen is unappealing. It’s much nicer to use an iPad and then put it away when the music is playing, though that’s a personal thing of course. You need to be very careful to understand the flexibility to control metadata and manage and back up your music to a USB drive or whatever. You may also question why it’s on such a good speacial offer. Maybe nobody wants them. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Gazza

I am with HH on this, I am not very brave, hence I bought a Naim Core......at least I can walk into a dealer with it under my arm and say fix it. The Core is now cropping up ex demo here and there, alternatively how about one of the Innuos products. If you do go ahead , please let the forum know how you get on with it.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Andy Widd

Thanks for your advice and opinions. I’ll post something once I’ve decided how to proceed and let you know!

cheers, Andy

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Andy Widd

Purchased the Nativ Vita and cd ripper with ssd storage. Once it’s arived I’ll update what I think of it for what’s its worth!

thanks again for everyone’s responses

andy

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by ChrisSU

Good luck, let us know how you get on with it. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Andy Widd

Nativ arrived but the CD player for it hasn’t yet so can’t rip any flacs yet. Looks good. I’ve tried to connect it to the snait1 with coax and stream my iTunes library through it but can’t get any sound out yet! I’m going to have another go at assigning inputs tomorrow to see if I get any joy. Just a quick update