DoP over SPDI/F

Posted by: simes_pep on 26 November 2018

NDS running lastest firmware

Can I send through DSD64 into the Digital input using DoP?

Doesn’t seem to work

I understand Native DSD isn’t possible over SPDI/F, but the coding of the DSD64 into the PCM packets should.

Thanks, Simon

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I don’t know.. certainly the streamers output DoP from the digital out... 

BTW DoP is native DSD.. it just uses LPCM sample constructs to encapsulate the DSD data, therefore SPDIF can natively carry DSD... but crucially your receiver needs to recognise the DoP data  or it sounds a mess.

On your inputs does it sound a mess or do you hear nothing? Does your input say it has SPDIF framing lock?

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by simes_pep

Hi, I get a 'Not Connected' and no sound output.

The only way, when the output is set to DoP on the Digital Input is to apply DSP in Roon, and adjust to 'Max Sampling Rate' at 192KHz, but then the Roon Core (ROCK on NUC5i3) is performing a DSD->PCM conversion and setting just PCM and not PCM encapsulation of the DSD format.

The Native DCS is another setting, using the Linux drivers in a XMOS USB->SPDI/F convertor, however this is also 'Not Connected', though I believe Native DSD cannot be sent over S/PDIF.

I can see the output of the various setting in the 'RoonReady Diagnostics' in the UltraRendu UI.

The UPnP Bridge, however, does work fine with native DSD64, and the Naim App shows 'DSD64' as being played.

I was wondering whether this was possible over the Digital Input as well. The XMOS convertor was bought before I got the UPnP Bridge to work perfectly on the Ethernet input of the NDS, thereby adding Roon support without any format conversion.

Thanks, Simon.