How to insert pictures in a post

Posted by: Salvo on 26 November 2018

Hi,

a quick question: can flick be used to insert pictures in a post? What other specific methods are there?

Thanks a lot,

salvo

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Salvo, you will need to have the image hosted online somewhere. I use Imgur, which offers free hosting and works well.  

Then ensure you have the direct image URL and follow the image posting how-to guide in the forum FAQ;

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...web-into-your-post-1

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by ChrisSU

There are a few image hosting sites you can use. I use Imgur, but Flikr and others should work. Copy the ‘DIRECT’ link, and paste it into the insert image box trom the toolbar above the box that you type in. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander

It can be quite a pain - for some reason, maybe depending on individual computer, tablet or smartphone setups, what works well for some people seems not to for others. I had no end of trouble trying to post pictures using Imgur - and it was random, sometimes worked, more ofter didn’t (and Imgur wasn’t the issue as the pics were accessible tgere). There was a thread on this earlier this year, through which I found how to do it in a way that worked for me consistently. May be worth a read if you have any further difficulty: https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...ctures-from-an-ipad?

Be aware that when posting your own pics, the choice of hosting site and how it is set up can affect your privacy, as it could make other pictures of yours hosted on the same site. Imgur does have the ability to use it anonymously, not needing to log on, which possibly is better than doing it other ways if you have other pictures that you don’t want to share with others on here.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Happy Listener

It seems Amazon changed their systems a while ago, which removed URLs from cover-art and other pictures for their CD/Vinyls - unless there is another way of doing this?

Richard - is it worth updating the FAQ page to remove reference to Amazon, assuming I'm correct?

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by james n

Amazon still works for me (for posting in the music thread). Click on album picture for expanded view. Then right click on this (or just drag to toolbar) to get the URL.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Clive B
Happy Listener posted:

It seems Amazon changed their systems a while ago, which removed URLs from cover-art and other pictures for their CD/Vinyls - unless there is another way of doing this?

Richard - is it worth updating the FAQ page to remove reference to Amazon, assuming I'm correct?

I still select cover art from Amazon (and others depending on image quality and size). On an iPad I perform a search on the album title, select 'image' then choose the best image available. Often this is Discogs or eBay, neither of which seem to allow their images to be used, so it's necessary to chose another image. Often Amazon.com or Amazon.fr etc. host reasonable quality cover art, in which case I might use one of those. Then choose 'copy' (which selects the URL) and post it in the usual way.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Richard Dane

HL, I've got no problems posting images from Amazon.  Here's an image of a Naim HD Jazz sampler from the site;

Ah-ha.

Thanks all - it seems I have to go another way to get to the URL via my browser.

..back to the thread.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

You need to copy the link and paste it in the little box you get when you choose the mountain.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Salvo

embarrassing!!! tried it all, cannot get it.

;-(((

In case anyone else is suffering the same, it seems on (my) MS Edge via lap-top the right click 'copy' command doesn't grab the URL (as it used to IME). 

So now I get to the URL on Amazon via opening the expanded image/Ask Cortana/See Full Size Image, which shows the URL in address bar. Perhaps a bit long-winded but it works. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Salvo posted:

embarrassing!!! tried it all, cannot get it.

;-(((

I remember similar frustration! Did you try this (lifted from the other thread), which solved it for me on an iPad:

Until I have succeeded a few times on separate occasions it is hard to be absolutely certain, but distilling the above it seems that to be sure it will work you must install the Imgur app. You don’t need to register even though opening the app seems to require it - instead close the app, open imgur in Safari and select upload image, which takes you into the app but with an option of continuing without registering, then upload the image into Imgur (straightforward). No need to complete anything else like caption, just complete the upload. Once completed, press on the image in Imgur still showing on your screen, then select ‘copy link’. Back in the forum posting dialog slelect the ‘mountains’ icon, paste into rhe source box and OK - and that hopefully is done!

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by winkyincanada

From Flickr it's a little different:

1) Go to the picture's page (click on the picture if you're in the photostream or album)

2) Click the little curvy arrow at the bottom right to "Share Photo"

3) Select the "embed" option from the tabs on the dialogue box

4) Control_C to copy the text string (Command-C on a Mac). (Text will already be selected, ready to copy)

5) Back at Naim, in the "Add Reply" form select the option at the top to insert that looks like this <> (It is out at the right, and is NOT the Insert Photo option)

6) Paste the text into the box and click OK

7) Complete your post by adding witty banter

Here's a test!

DSC_5347

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Salvo

I have done it, finally :-) , Thank you all.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by blythe

I still am unable...

The only options in Flickr that I can see, having made sure the image is "Public" are to share to: "Share" or "Embeded" or "Email" or "BBCode".
Having tried all of these options and non have worked, I'm now scratching my head.

blythe posted:

The only options in Flickr that I can see, having made sure the image is "Public" are to share to: "Share" or "Embeded" or "Email" or "BBCode".
Having tried all of these options and non have worked, I'm now scratching my head.

You need to use "Embed" on Flickr, copy the text (it will already be highlighted/selected), and then back here on the forum, do NOT use the "insert Picture" icon but click the one at the right that looks like this:  <>

Paste the text you copied from Flickr and click OK.

hungryhalibut posted:

You need to copy the link and paste it in the little box you get when you choose the mountain.

That doesn't work with Flickr. See my posts above.

Everywhere I read told me to click on the "Mountain" icon. No wonder it didn't work! Thank you Winkyincanada!!IMG_3194

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by seakayaker

FWIW.........

You can use insert/edit photo with the mountain Icon. On flick mouse click on the 'Download the Photo' icon (represented by a 'Down Arrow image with an Underscore' below it, then choose 'view all images', then on the chosen image perform a 'control/mouse click' on the image and choose 'copy image adress' then click on the mountain icon and perform a 'command v, in the source box and select the 'OK' button.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Echolane

I am another that is completely stymied by attempts to upload a photo to Naim.

i am signed up on Imgur and Tinypic.

on Imgur I can find no way to upload photos; all I see are images that are already there.   I have signed in on both the iOS app or alternatively I open a browser window.  Neither take me to a page that has an option for uploading.

I have used Tinypic on a couple of other forums and it worked easily.  Can’t get it to work on a Naim forum.   Here’s what I do:   I upload an image to Tinypic..  I select/copy IMG code for message boards and forums,  then go to the forum message-in-progress, select the little image that looks like scenery.  That puts a tiny box on the message.  I paste the link there and publish the message.  No image, just the Link address.

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Mike-B
Echolane posted:

To attach an Imgur photo to a Naim post:

In Imgur; open the photo (click on the thumbnail).     There are two ways to capture the image.  (1)  Touch the 'Copy' button on the Direct Link line,   (2)  Right click the image & 'Copy Image Address'.    

On the Naim post screen:    Click on / Touch the Insert/edit image  (the little mountain icon) & paste the Imgur copy into the  Source window & touch OK.    The picture will appear in the post screen.

Simple'z

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
Echolane posted:

i am signed up on Imgur and Tinypic.

on Imgur I can find no way to upload photos; all I see are images that are already there.   I have signed in on both the iOS app or alternatively I open a browser window.  Neither take me to a page that has an option for uploading.

I have used Tinypic on a couple of other forums and it worked easily.  Can’t get it to work on a Naim forum.   Here’s what I do:   I upload an image to Tinypic..  I select/copy IMG code for message boards and forums,  then go to the forum message-in-progress, select the little image that looks like scenery.  That puts a tiny box on the message.  I paste the link there and publish the message.  No image, just the Link address.

Trying to post my own pic a couple of days ago I uploaded with no problem to Imgur (though I’m not registered), but when I tried inserting that in the forum it failed - and at the time I was concerned that what pasted in the box didn’t have a .jpg extension - instead a link appeared.

Sloop John B then followed my post successfully inserting it using my link. He kindly offered this guidance (though I haven’t yet tried to see if it works for me): 

On iPad I pressed and held the picture until a sub menu with copy and save picture showed up. I chose copy and this is the link I embedded. 

On windows it’s usually right click and “copy image location “, can’t help with Mac but it’s most likely somewhere in between windows 10 and iOS. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
Mike-B posted:
Echolane posted:

In Imgur; open the photo (click on the thumbnail).     There are two ways to capture the image.  (1)  Touch the 'Copy' button on the Direct Link line,   (2)  Right click the image & 'Copy Image Address'.    

On the Naim post screen:    Click on / Touch the Insert/edit image  (the little mountain icon) & paste the Imgur copy into the  Source window & touch OK.    The picture will appear in the post screen.

Simple'z

Re my post just above, that is what I had originally tried...

My failed attempt had been on a Win 10 PC

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Echolane
Mike-B posted:
Echolane posted:

Simple'z

I am using my iPad, not my Windows Desktop.

Cannot find any way to upload a photo.  I open Imgur and I see many images.  Many.  I look everywhere on that page and I find no clickable/touchable option that suggests the ability to upload except across the bottom.

Across the bottom one can select HOME, SEARCH, SNACKS, NOTIFICATIONS, PROFILE.

Under PROFILE, I am asked for permission to access my photos, which I granted, and there are now thumbnails of all my photos.  I press on an image and a numeral 1 appears in the upper right corner, I select NEXT which takes me to a page which insists I Title it and more.   Finally, there is an option to post, but it seems to post on Imgur.   I can’t find a way to transfer a selected image here.  I don’t have the feeling I am on the right track.