John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky

Posted by: Richard Dane on 26 November 2018

I managed to catch this excellent film by Michael Epstein that was on channel 4 over the weekend.  Made up of   some personal lennon film footage taken at Tittenhurst Park during the making of the album, Imagine, it was interspersed with some really interesting interview insights from those who were there at the time, including Julian Lennon telling us what it was like as a child living in the "Tittenhurst bubble".  Mostly it gives us a picture of Lennon post-Beatles, looking to be just John Lennon, supported by Yoko Ono.  Well worth watching - hopefully it's available online on the channel 4 website.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Cdb

I’m looking forward to watching it - it is on the C4 catch-up site.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by FangfossFlyer

I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I found it often moving, giving a further insight into Imagine and also John and Yoko.

Unfortunately  it led to sadness in that John is no longer physically with us.

Richard

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by joerand

Looks like something I'd enjoy watching, will keep an eye out for it on US TV. 

FWIW - Lennon's killer was recently denied parole for the tenth time. 

Yoko is now 85 years old, John would be 78.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by nickpeacock

Watching it now and enjoying it hugely!

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Owen Davies

Loved it, a must see.  Such an insight into the making of Imagine and the great man himself.  His raw talent is awe inspiring.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Moog

Yoko at 85 has just released a collection of newly reinterpreted songs written across her career.  I think each one comes with lyric video.  I've seen about half a dozen on you tube and are strangely hypnotic.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAsV7Udjl4A 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by mudwolf

Sounds great, wish I could see it.  I'm ashamed to say I bought Paul and George's 1st solo records but not Imagine I have to say I had pressure from a conservative religious group that thought his songs were awful esp the lyric  "There is no Religion " got them really upset.  I have it now on CD and really enjoy the variety of songs. I've always thought Yoko was very good for John getting him into different therapies tho I'm sure it was a tough relationship.  I also saw the documentary about Lennon against the US and Nixon really put pressure on but he won to court case.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Yetizone

Luckily, I remembered to set the PVR to record just a few minutes before it was broadcast. Still not had the time to watch it as yet, but really looking forward to it.