What will the SuperNait3 look like?

Posted by: DynFan160 on 26 November 2018

I read a recent "best amplifiers of 2018" article, which listed the SN2 in its top 10 as still one of the best amps, especially integrated amps, available. The biggest "con" they listed is that it's getting a bit long in the tooth for the price.

This leads me to pose the question: whether it comes in 2019, 2020, or whenever, what do you think the SN3 should be / what's on your wish list for it to be? Does NAIM offer room correction?

I personally subscribe to the KISS method: those looking for a great, simple amp in one box need not look much further at that price point. Maybe be these people the SN2 is all they need.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

Long in the tooth? I suppose we all have the X Factor winners to look forward to for future developments.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by SongStream

It will look like this....

Image result for naim supernait 2

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by Popeye

It will follow the current look, as that is what the new streamers have taken. 

Dont know how they can say long in the tooth, tech hasn’t really changed at all in pre amps or amps!

room correction software is an anomaly in its own right and not something that is done really in Hifi only the AV world.  

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

If that’s the biggest con they can find, that must be a compliment. To say it’s long in the tooth is simply moronic. If people want a new model every six months they can buy a Sony. 

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by leni v
hungryhalibut posted:

If that’s the biggest con they can find, that must be a compliment. To say it’s long in the tooth is simply moronic. If people want a new model every six months they can buy a Sony. 

Almost six years!

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by yeti42

It’s Naim for people who are scared of Snaics.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

There are hifi products that haven’t changed since the Stone Age.  Michell turntables - and I’m not knocking them, they are excellent.    

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by GregU

It will look more expensive than the SN2

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by RaceTripper
GregU posted:

It will look more expensive than the SN2

It will look be more expensive than the SN2.

There, I corrected it for you.

Posted on: 26 November 2018 by aht

Whatever it looks like, hope they retain the balance control!

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by gary yeowell

Like the current model, but with bells on it.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Christopher_M
gary yeowell posted:

Like the current model, but with bells on it.

Not forgetting the auxillary foo-foo valve, now with full manual overide.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by analogmusic

Why a Supernait 3?

theres needs to be substantial improvement on the existing Supernait 2 For there to be a newer Supernait

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by feeling_zen

Why do we care what a hypothetical future product looks like?

It will have pink furry dice for volume knobs and a red button labelled "MegaBass". Is that what you're after?

@SONGSTREAM has it down. It will look like a SN2 which, incidentally, looks like a SN1.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

In fact, the SN1 and SN2 look very different. 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by feeling_zen
hungryhalibut posted:

What? One row of buttons different? 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Mike-B
hungryhalibut posted:

Indeed,  apart from the obvious record button row,  the DAC & all the digital input options are also removed,  so it has to be concluded the SN2 is a feature & cost reduced Supernait.  

Considering the need for a Supernait-3,  what new advanced technology can it utilise ?   not that much that I can think of.  But might a SMPS be a possibility   ..........   continue the cost reduction theme  ???  ..............    I’ll get me coat on the way out 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Richard Dane
Mike-B posted:

...Indeed,  apart from the obvious record button row,  the DAC & all the digital input options are also removed,  so it has to be concluded the SN2 is a feature & cost reduced Supernait...

Be careful Mike, because while that's true, it's only one part of the story.  While the DAC and the record button row were indeed removed, and the price given a welcome reduction, everything else was improved with the Supernait 2 - an even larger transformer, improved pre and power stages, including DR regulation for the pre-amp, better headphone amp, a move from PCB to chassis mounted socketry, and so on. 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Mike-B

I know Richard,  maybe I’ll admit to a bit of a wind up.  However personally I did not hear enough to make the move to SN2, I actually prefer the old Supernait presentation,  plus I have no need for the DR’d pre as I already have a PSU  & I don’t use headphones or at least not seriously

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Ardbeg10y

One of the good things of the SN1 was that when you add a Hicap DR, everything improves: the pre, the dac and the power. It a bit the same effect as the PS on the 272. Adding a Hicap DR to the SN1 feels like a much bigger improvement than adding one to the SN2.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Mulberry
DynFan160 posted:

[…] The biggest "con" they listed is that it's getting a bit long in the tooth for the price.

What’s the point behind this? Should the price drop or should there be a new model just because the SN is in this price range?

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by JoexNaim

Expecting to see electronic actenuator with perfect balance at all volume levels. An internal Dac ( Supernait 1 was waaaayyy ahead of its time in that respect ) spdif connection and coaxial digital and Bluetooth aptxhd.