No Sound From NDX2

Posted by: Crispy on 26 November 2018

Bit of a strange one this evening. The new NDX2 had been working perfectly and was fine this morning before I went to work. Came home this evening and tried to play some music. No sound came out of the speakers. Very puzzled I checked other sources and proved everything else was ok as my Oppo worked and also used this to test streaming from my NAS. I changed connections to ensure input into pre amplifier was ok and still no sound.

On the display and the app it showed music playing, still no sound. Powered off by holding power button down. Restarted and still no sound. Powered everything off for 5 minutes, powered up again and it works perfectly. Not sure what happened but pleased to have music again. Have raised with Naim Support and hoping just a firmware bug.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Stevie Bart

Have you checked your input source in setup; this may have accidentally been changed. Maybe something connected to the NX2 caused the input source to change?

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Naimtec

I have experienced the same problem with my NDX2.

The first time I was attempting to play a different track on a playlist which resulted in the NDX2 playing the new track but the sound was absent.
I tried playing the internet radio / a memory stick in the usb input, but the result was the same, no sound.
I then powered down the NDX2, when the NDX2 was powered up the sound was restored.
This then happened again the next day and putting the unit into deep sleep restored the sound.
The problem occurred when I was playing a random playlist and the album artwork in the app was different to the track being played, the artwork on the NDX2 display was correct.
I searched through the playlist to find the track being played and when I touched this in the app the playlist cleared and the sound went off.
If i tried playing another track there was no sound.

I then replicated the same conditions that caused the problem and was able to reproduce the problem every time.

The unit is set up with system integration enabled.
The problem appears to be that when this problem occurs the sound output defaults to variable output which is set low and therefore sound output appears to go off.

If whilst this fault is on the unit I disable the system integration in the settings and then go into volume mode and change from fixed to variable and back to fixed the sound output is restored.
I have also passed this info to Naim.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Crispy
Naimtec posted:

I have experienced the same problem with my NDX2.

The first time I was attempting to play a different track on a playlist which resulted in the NDX2 playing the new track but the sound was absent.
I tried playing the internet radio / a memory stick in the usb input, but the result was the same, no sound.
I then powered down the NDX2, when the NDX2 was powered up the sound was restored.
This then happened again the next day and putting the unit into deep sleep restored the sound.
The problem occurred when I was playing a random playlist and the album artwork in the app was different to the track being played, the artwork on the NDX2 display was correct.
I searched through the playlist to find the track being played and when I touched this in the app the playlist cleared and the sound went off.
If i tried playing another track there was no sound.

I then replicated the same conditions that caused the problem and was able to reproduce the problem every time.

The unit is set up with system integration enabled.
The problem appears to be that when this problem occurs the sound output defaults to variable output which is set low and therefore sound output appears to go off.

If whilst this fault is on the unit I disable the system integration in the settings and then go into volume mode and change from fixed to variable and back to fixed the sound output is restored.
I have also passed this info to Naim.

Thanks for this. I did note that system automation was glitchy while no sound was coming out, so this may well be the source of the problem. Will see what happens when I get home and disable system automation and just rely on fixed output until this is sorted.

Stevie Bart posted:

Have you checked your input source in setup; this may have accidentally been changed. Maybe something connected to the NX2 caused the input source to change?

Thanks for the suggestion. If it happens again will double check as any info will help the tech guys. Weird that all I did was go to work and come home again. Sure if I had stayed at home listening to music all day it would have been perfect.....

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by trickydickie

I occasionally get a glitch with system automation from my NDX (original) to 282 whereby changing the volume changes the input so everything goes silent.  It goes for months without doing it and then for a day or so can come back doing it once or twice an evening.  Maybe you have a similar issue.

trickydickie posted:

I occasionally get a glitch with system automation from my NDX (original) to 282 whereby changing the volume changes the input so everything goes silent.  It goes for months without doing it and then for a day or so can come back doing it once or twice an evening.  Maybe you have a similar issue.

I never had that with original NDX. In fact it never missed a beat and in couple of ways the new one is a minor step back. The remote is pretty awful and with no stop button you cannot clear the queue from the remote or stop a stream. On the positive side I would definitely not swap how it sounds.