272 purchasing dilema

Posted by: Man with no Naim on 27 November 2018

Hi everyone,

As everyone knows, there is a lot of speculation around whether Naim will release a replacement/upgrade/MK2 for the N272. However no one knows for sure if and when. So this is my dilemma, do I purchase a current N272 or sit it out and wait for the replacement, if it happens? Current system is Uniti Nova, XPS DR (not being used at present), Nap 250 DR and PMC Twenty5 26. All replies gratefully appreciated.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by wilro15

There will always be upgrades. If you wait around you won't buy anything. 

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Dan.S

Sell the Nova and get the 272, its the missing link in your system.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Gazza

I would tend to wait until the new year, there will bound to be rumours surfacing on the next products for launch in 2019. You can be certain the Nova is not being replaced and will hold its value.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

It’s a tricky question to answer. A new 272 style box seems highly likely, but as you say, when? I suspect 2019, once the new streamers are bedded in. It largely depends on whether you currently use the added features of the Nova, such as chromecast and Roon, and whether you’d feel the need to be on the new platform if you did get the 272. If you don’t, you could get the 272. But if you do, it’s probably best to wait. 

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Klout10

I would wait or get a 2nd hand 272 which you will be able to sell on without losing much on it ...

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Antonio1

As a general rule buy whatever you like and satisfies your very needs at best.

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by Timmo1341

You could easily be waiting for 12-18 months. I for one will not be upgrading my 272 unless there is a phenomenal uplift in quality, which I think unlikely. Having heard the Nova, and owning an Atom, I can’t see the benefits of just adding a colour screen and a capability of firmware upgrades online being worth the likely £1500-2000 price increase. In your position I’d look for an almost new second hand 272, sell the Nova and pocket the surplus!

Posted on: 27 November 2018 by ChrisSU

I would hang fire, on the basis that a 272 replacement on the new platform seems likely. When it arrives, either get that, or if you can live with the reduced functionality of the old platform, pick up a used 272 as prices are bound to drop. 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Rich 1

You pays your money and takes your choice. After a good comparison of course. Suspect a new model will be an excuse for a considerable price rise against the existing 272. Make no mistake, the 272 is very capable. In my purchase of a 272 and power amp it was considerably better than the Nova even when used with a cheaper Naim power amp. I really wanted the Nova but new I'd never be satisfied. Having said that, in isolation the Nova is very good. Rich 

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Man with no Naim

Wow, no wonder I'm in a dilemma, of how to proceed. The views here seem to more tightly split than the brexit vote. The main two points I see as to buy a 272 at present, are three figure saving on new item and what if Naim do not replace it. If waiting for new updated version, well the factors are fairly obvious, besides the unknown of potential sound quality increase. Perhaps I should just flip a coin. Thank you, for all replies so far.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

The thing is, we cannot decide for you. You must make your own decisions. One thing I’ve learned is that if one is unsure, and there is no pressing need to do something, it’s often best to do nothing. Another thing I’ve learned is not to ask questions about system changes on the Forum. I speak to Naim and to a couple of dealers and then just get on with it. 

Excellent advice -HH. As they say, up here -  "I should stop beating around the bush."

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Meerkat

A dealer told me a couple of months ago, that Naim may not decide to bring out a newer version of the 272. Why? Because the 272, with it's pre amp, was impacting on sales of the dedicated pre amp black boxes?

Clint...How are those Twenty5 26's performing? Mine are wonderful.????

Hi Meerkat

I guess it depends which dealer you talk to, as some have said their dealer has been advised to get rid of 272 stock. I guess only time will tell, if the 272 is to be supeceeded or discontinued. Does not really help me, with which way to proceed.

The PMC Twenty5 26’s are an absolute pleasure to listen too. The only difference between yours, are mine are in oak finish. I previously had the Twenty5 23’s, which wife has now hijacked for her system, Uniti Star. So, I had a good idea of the type of sound to expect. However, it is a big uplift from 23’s to 26’s. Before the PMC’s, I had ATC SCM 40’s mk2, which are great sounding speakers in there own right. If comparing between the PMC 25 26’s and ATC 40’s in my room, the PMC bass integrates better in the room and you do have to drive them hard to get the best out of them. The ATC’s when driven is closer to listening to live music sound, but can be a bit relentless at times. I also found they lost detail at lower volumes. I suspect this is due ATC pedigree and there studio heritage. As always, just my observations, in my room and was with ATC CDA2 and P1

Recently, moved system and now using Uniti Nova into Nap 250 DR. I have XPS DR waiting in the wings, for the Nova upgrade. Due to moving system, I needed new length’s of speaker cable. So, I took a chance and purchased 8m length’s of With Hat Phantom cable. Still running the cable in, so cannot give a definitive review yet. However, no negative comments so far and have not felt compelled to go back to Nac A5. If you get the chance to listen to these cables, then have a listen, I think they suit the 25 26’s particularly well.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Bart

Buy gently used . . . or just wait it out.  If you want a 272, but gently used.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Crispy

Couple of approaches to consider. Get your dealer to bring round a 272 and an NDX2. You can try both and see what you prefer. Presume you can connect NDX2 to input on 272 so you can hear both.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Stover

I had the same dilemma some weeks back and was told Naim wont release a 272.2, due to that it`s not more to get from the exsisting model. Still, I think the chance that we see a follow up may come?

I decided to go NDX2 and also added a second hand 282/ HC2. While I`m waiting for 282 to be recapped, I use 272 as a preamp. NDX2 bare and 555PS powering 272 was to me a huge step up in performance from 272/ PS alone and I felt this was really worth the xtra cost. After a week or so I moved the PS to NDX (Burndyplug on 272) and the presentation was even better? Better scale, presence, clarity and resolution and mature, exactly to my liking or musical preferences.

I look forward to get the 282 back from recap.

I don`t know what you guys make out of this, but for me it`s even more music. That said, 272+ PS is a really good music performer, actually, it is without the PS as well.

S

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Manu

Stover got it right

If you are not sure about the 272, get a NDX2 and a separate analog pre, it will be better than a 272 anyway. So no risks.

you can keep your Nova and use it as a streamer with a new pre or as a pre with a new streamer... I am sure a dealer will take it as a trade-in if you buy both.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by JedT

I'm in a similar situation - SU/250 in my case and contemplating a 272 or successor. Having seen what the Nova did for SU used values I wouldn't buy a new 272. I do note that second hand prices on a popular auction site have been dropping in recent months and some are being advertised new by dealers at significant discounts. I think we can see what is coming.

I'll wait for a new 272 and then decide whether second hand 272s are too cheap to ignore or whether to pay up for the new model.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Man with no Naim

Hi all, thank you for replies.

The reasons why I do not want to go down the separate analogue pre-amp (282) / new streamer route (ndx2) is: - (I) Have no desire to spend £10,000, which would probably be more with extra power supplies. (ii) I have only four a.c outlets. I do want to start plugging Naim Power lines into extension blocks and (iii) would like to keep the box count as low as possible. Shorter signal path and removes factors of more boxes having certain musical characteristics. I could at some point in future, if I thought it was worth it, add a NAP300 DR. Admittedly, increases box count by one, but only requires one a.c. outlet.

So, at present a.c outlets are configured as (i) Uniti Nova (ii) Nap 250DR (iii) Uniti Core and (iv) Ethernet switch. My XPS DR will, replace Nova a.c. outlet, when upgrade complete. Before someone asks about adding more a.c. outlets, I had room back to bare brick and floorboards out a few years ago. Do not wish to re-plaster the room again.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

Are these sockets on a dedicated mains arrangement? If so, plug the switch in somewhere else: its el cheapo SMPS won’t do the hifi any favours. 

One of my reasons for choosing my system was because I only have two sockets on my dedicated mains, and don’t want a power block cluttering up the place. You are not alone. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Man with no Naim

HH

No the two double sockets are not on a dedicated spur or ring. I cannot move the switch easily, as already running 8m Ethernet (Audioquest Cinnamon) from router to switch, then 0.75m (Audioquest Cinnamon) to Uniti Nova and Core. 

Like you do not wish for more clutter. I like your system, because it is simple and elegant, but also giving a very refined performance. I believe this should be obtainable, without having an outrageous amount of black boxes.

I know that 272 will be more than adequate for my own requirements, either current model or an updated version. Obviously, if we near to a updated 272 release date, then I might as well wait. The doomsday scenario, without buying second hand, was Naim discontinued the 272 and did not replace it ?????

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Emre

Wait or second hand big bargain.... 272 is good but new streaming platform is better with Roon etc.

282/ndx2 is a better in my opinion because digital sources are chancing  fast and get better value for money every day... how about a 282 and ndx used with bargain price tags, then flip to ndx2 in a year Or so, or even a Hugo with 282... 

if you are sort of person with an upgrade problem go with pre, if you are ?ort of person who will get a 272, listen your music and dont read this forum as you are happy with what you are hearing , Pre/streamer is the Best value... 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Timmo1341

I wonder if most of the contributors spend as much of their time worrying about the price and upgrade path of other elements of their life (car, house, camera etc.)? Can’t be much time left for actually sitting back and enjoying the music. I never buy anything major without the intention of keeping it for at least 3 years, by which time I feel I’ve had a fair return for the initial outlay in terms of utility, and whatever I get for trade-in is a bonus. Saves all this rather sad worrying and constantly trying to crystal ball gaze, and I can relax and enjoy my rather lovely 272!!

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Its sounds like you have a great low box count system already. A 272 won’t have the new streaming and DAC capability of the Nova. If using the NAP 250 adds to the Nova party, what more is needed? If it was me, I’d wait for a 272 replacement and compare that with the Nova in your current system and see if a change warranted the additional cost.

i’ve heard some three box combos against the Nova and didn’t think the increase in cost and higher box count was worth a modest lift in SQ. The Nova is a very component one box solution.