Lost confidence in streaming

Posted by: ursus262 on 28 November 2018

I am wondering if I am the only one in this position.  I have had problems with streaming with internally (album art not showing) and files not playing, to my Uniti losing connection with the router (I use a wi fi bridge) and have difficulty getting it connected again.

I recently got onto Tidal, only to find that many albums won't load on the app.  There is another thread about this subject, and switching to Tidal HiFi seems to solve the problem.

But overall, the technology is not reliable enough and I find it stressful trying to understand how it all works.  Is it just me or do others have a similar problem?

Dave

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Guinnless

Start with the basics. Get your Uniti on a wired connection and just use Wi-Fi for your control pad.

I'd your Uniti on the latest firmware? Naim App all up to date?

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

Would also first check the basics. Wired connection, software up to date, NAS properly setup. After that your problems should be gone and you should have a stable streaming solution.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

The fundamentals are actually very easy if you start from a known state. Only then deviate from the known state...

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by blythe

A Rock solid connection is required.
If remotely possible, hard wire your equipment. A wifi bridge will often be flaky.
My Superuniti and two Mu-So QB's all work very well and reliably, on wi-fi, except when "the cleaner" moves my wifi router behind the TV (to make it look more tidy) instead of alongside.
When the router is positioned behind the TV, the signal to my kitchen Mu-So QB sometimes drops out.
Viewing the system details via the router Web Interface reveals the kitchen Muso signal strength is not full and the speed is less than ideal.
My kitchen Muso is almost line of site to the router but, there is a reinforced concrete wall semi - separating the two rooms, which really blocks the signal.
Careful placing of my equipment ensures I get a reliable signal.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by garyi

There is a raft of options out there, I think the sweet spot right now is and amp of your preference, with a USB dac and computer plugged into that dac. You have simply lots of options which in my experience have been rock solid.

I am a geek and have tried lots of options, including jriver, volumio, Daphile etc. I have finally buckled and got a year of Roon, with a server running in the garage and a frankly superb custom built silent PC, the thing is rock solid and reliable.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by ursus262
Guinnless posted:

Start with the basics. Get your Uniti on a wired connection and just use Wi-Fi for your control pad.

I'd your Uniti on the latest firmware? Naim App all up to date?

Yes, all is up to date.  The Uniti recently had the DAC upgrade and firmware upgrade at the factory.

Posted on: 28 November 2018 by ursus262

Thanks all for your support and encouragement.  I think I'll try and get a long length of ethernet cable, remove the bridge, and do a proper install