Noob help!!

Posted by: Snellers on 29 November 2018

hi everyone,

I’ve had my muso for a couple of years now, as a deliberate toe in the water. I’m now ready to take my first tentative step into a streamer and speakers set up and wondered if there was anyone willing to stick their neck out for me and offer a clear answer on something.

I’ve narrowed my choice down to either a Uniqute 2 or a unitilite. I mainly stream my music (hence the muso) so the CD is just luxury. I’ll want to pair with my muso as well. I’ve bought some new b&w 685 s2s as I’ve been wanting a pair for years and they were on offer for 299 so couldn’t resist... 

So, the big question, which one should I get (preowned)? My budget only stretches to about 700 max. Has anyone owned both? 

Huge thanks,

Rob

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by hungryhalibut

The speakers are not particularly efficient (87dB) so the extra power of the Lite (50w) may be a good idea especially if you like to play your music loud. That said, the Qute (30w) looks a lot, well, more cute. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Bob green

Hi ND555 owners,can anyone tell me why Naim do not supply a manual,the quick start is pretty basic,can you get it on line?,l’ve tried two but can’t see it,might be me,cheers.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU

Go to the relevant product page on the Naim website and you’ll find a link to the ‘support’ pages for your device. It’s a poor effort compared to the old pdf manuals, less comprehensive info and a real PITA to navigate, but there is some useful info there. 

Not sure how that is in any way relevant to this thread, but there you go!

Thanks Chrissy,wouldn’t it be easier just to give a manual,or for13k they can’t offord it!.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU

Apparently not!!

I love Naim stuff!,but they do my brain in sometimes!.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Bob, please, by all means start a new thread, rather than take this one so off topic.

Sorry l don’t know what you mean!.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by David Hendon

@Bob Green the online support info for the ND555 is at https://www.naimaudio.com/network-players-support

best

David

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Gazza

Just to add something about a Naim support. I did link into another thread yesterday about using AirPlay. I enabled it for Radio Paradise and left enabled and then nothing else would output to the preamp. Disengaged Airplay....it was then OK. I emailed Naim today, I had a response within a few minutes. I was asked to do a factory reset, all is well. Great response from Rob Barnett who tried out on the ND555 st the factory.

Gaz

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Bart
Bob green posted:

Sorry l don’t know what you mean!.

Really?

Snellers starts a thread asking about Qute2 vs. UnitiLite, and in said thread you post a question about the manual for an ND555.

Questions remaining?

So, ND555 gentleman, what is your advice to the OP. Qute or Lite?

Thanks guys,maybe l’m not as clever as everyone else at this on line game.!.

Just avoid thread crapping and you’ll be fine. 

Bob, I raised the manual issue on the thread that Charlie Henderson the new MD started a few days ago. He has a Uniti Star and asked if he thought the support with no manual was adequate. I and many others feel it is not....i mentioned that a kettle from Aldi or Lidl, gets a manual. He said he would look into this. Many have said just a pdf download would be fine, let’s wait and see?

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by DrPo

Have only owned the UL. It has a CD you evidently don’t need and more power but lacks a pre-out (which might be relevant should you ever consider hooking up a power amp) whereas the UQ does have one. 

hungryhalibut posted:

So, ND555 gentleman, what is your advice to the OP. Qute or Lite?

I can only vouch for a Qute, sounded good in a mates house with some Kef bookshelf type speakers. As ever try and listen, or get a good price and sell on if you do not like.

As l said before Gaza they have never been good with manuals.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Snellers

Thanks ‘everyone’... 

I’m going for a lite. I will use the cd as well.

700 for a 2013 lite- fingers crossed. 

Excellent. I hope you really enjoy your new setup. A whole Naim system for 1/13th of the price of an ND555. And you get a paper manual with the Lite, so it’s a win-win situation. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by David Hendon
Snellers posted:

Thanks ‘everyone’... 

I’m going for a lite. I will use the cd as well.

700 for a 2013 lite- fingers crossed. 

One thing you will have to decide about is whether you want FM/DAB built in. It’s built in all of the Unitiqute 2s, but it was an added cost factory-built extra in the Unitilite. It added quite a bit of cost, so cheaper Unitilite’s may well not have it.

best

David

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by eazyryder

I would go for the unitilite. with its 50wpc. One of my previous systems consisted of a pair of b&w 685s, (88db) and a naim nait 5i italic.

The nait 5i with its 50wpc easily drove the B&Ws with some gusto, quite an exciting/energetic combo.