Problem with 24/192 file and Naim DAC V 1

Posted by: teodosi on 29 November 2018

Hello to all of you. Please excuse me for my very bad English. Most importantly, I'm a hot fan of Naim and I think it's the pride of the British Audio Industry! Now the question related to my problem ... My digital source is Dune HD TV 303D. When I play files 24/192 through the optical input of DAC V 1, there is a lot of sniping and scratching. More often, V1 punches and the display shows: DSPDAC Reg18 (W) Fail. None of the V1 functions works. Not on the remote or the front panel. I need to disconnect it from the current with the back button to return to normal mode. I sometimes have to reboot it twice in a row to normalize. The problem is not in Dune HD because I have no problems with the same files and the same cable included in the built-in DAC of Supernait 1. The built-in DAC in SN 1 plays the same files 24/192 without any problems with its optical input !!! The problem is in the V1 optical input. Did you encounter this problem with files 24/192 and the optical input of DAC V 1 ??? Thank you in advance for your time and I wish you a lot of health, money and luck. Good luck !!!

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Richard Dane

IIRC, I don't think TOSLINK optical fully supports 24/192 - it's useable limit is 24/96.  Although you may get 24/192 to work sometimes, I don't think it can be guaranteed via TOSLINK. For 24/192 you should use coaxial s/pdif.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU

It’s possible that a different optical cable will work better with 24/192, but it can’t be guaranteed as Richard explains above. Maybe you could try a different cable if the seller will agree to take it back if it doesn’t work. 

Better still, if you can use coaxial, or possibly USB, this might be better. 

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by teodosi

Hello. Thank you for the responsiveness! The problem is not in the cable because when I change the DAC V 1 with Chord Hugo or the built-in DAC in Supernait 1 there are no problems with the same source, the same file and the same cable !!! So I think definitely the problem is in the optical input of DAC V 1 !!! I can not go back anywhere, because I bought him a second hand !!! Once again, however, I want to thank you for your time !!! Perhaps someone else of you had the same problem ??? Greetings, health, money, luck and success !!!

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Do you have access to a previous generation MacBook or MacBook Air?
It has an optical output (via it’s headphone jack) as well as a regular USB.

What you could do is run a test - connect the MacBook first by a USB cable and try to play the file.
Then connect it with the optical cable and see (hear?? ) what happens.

This way you’d be able to verify if the files are corrupt or optical input is faulty or indded a cable itself.

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by ChrisSU

Have you tried the USB connection, that certainly should support 24/192?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by teodosi
Richard Dane posted:

IIRC, I don't think TOSLINK optical fully supports 24/192 - it's useable limit is 24/96.  Although you may get 24/192 to work sometimes, I don't think it can be guaranteed via TOSLINK. For 24/192 you should use coaxial s/pdif.

Hello Richard. Your words reassure me, but I do not know if that is the case? In the original description and instructions of the V1 it says that all inputs support 24/192 !!! Nowhere does it say that the optical entrance is limited to 24/96! I do not know what to say and what to think. I do not believe a producer like the great Naim to write false specifications !!! However, I am very grateful for the comment and I really like to be right !!! If you are right then my V1 is healthy and normal! I very much hope another V1 owner will have played 24/192 through the optical input and comment on what's going on with the sound, whether there's such a or similar problem or everything is playing normally ??? Health, success and good luck !!!

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Richard Dane

Well, if Naim say it supports 24/192 then I'm sure it does. All I was saying is that Toslink itself cannot guarantee 24/192 under any conditions.  The problem is how reliable it will be because while it may allow a 24/192 signal, it has no control over all the other elements to get it there - these case often be where the problem lies - so Toslink transmitter at source, the Toslink cable, and in particular the connectors used.  I think that any 24/192 signal via Toslink can only replay work reliably if the cable and connectors are of the best quality. 

I don't know which Toslink interconnects Naim recommends - possibly Chord? I have had good results using a proper glass interconnect, but these are fairly pricey. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Brilliant

You could try the following, (or contact Naim support):

1st make sure the f/w version is 1.16 (or latest)

Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) Mode

SRC has also been added to the DAC-V1. This allows the user to configure a digital input to adjust on-the-fly to input clock signals that are out of range. This improves overall robustness with S/PDIF sources that do not have an accurate clock.

To enable this feature switch the product off, hold down the front panel ‘2’ and ‘4’ buttons and switch the product back on.
The “SRC” menu will appear, then using the remote handset select the input on which to enable SRC mode. Once chosen the product will start up normally.

ATB

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by teodosi
Brilliant posted:

You could try the following, (or contact Naim support):

1st make sure the f/w version is 1.16 (or latest)

Sample Rate Conversion (SRC) Mode

SRC has also been added to the DAC-V1. This allows the user to configure a digital input to adjust on-the-fly to input clock signals that are out of range. This improves overall robustness with S/PDIF sources that do not have an accurate clock.

To enable this feature switch the product off, hold down the front panel ‘2’ and ‘4’ buttons and switch the product back on.
The “SRC” menu will appear, then using the remote handset select the input on which to enable SRC mode. Once chosen the product will start up normally.

ATB

Thanks to Brilliant for the comment. I know about this new opportunity with setting digital inputs, but I can not really see this feature. It can not hear high resolution files. What's the point then? With it all files become 24 / 44.1. I also wrote to Naim's support department. In their opinion, this is not normal and my DAC V 1 is hardware damaged! I really want other V1 owners to try 24/192 files from their original in the V1 optical input. I'm curious what will happen to them! Let someone try and comment on this situation. Health, success and good luck !!!

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Brilliant

Hi Teodosi -

You are welcome and sorry about your frustration.

I have the DAC-V1 hooked up to a Win7 PC using J River MC. Off of my motherboard optical output via a Monoprice cable, and using WASAPI setting in JRMC - I have no trouble at all playing 24/192 files in WAV and FLAC through the DAC-V1 optical inputs. I hope that helps.

NAIM may be right about your unit being damaged.

ATB.

B.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by teodosi

Brilliant, thank you very much for the responsiveness! This means a lot to me ! Apparently I really have a hardware problem. Apparently my V1 is defective. Thanks to you, I was convinced that it was. Badly, I will have to learn to live with him. I am very sorry and I am very disappointed. Health, success and good luck !!!