iMac to Atom - ideal set up?

Posted by: jarvicseven on 29 November 2018

I'd like some advice about my desktop rig please, 

I'm using,

iMac running Tidal Hi-Fi, as The Mac is a 2018 version it has no option to run an optical output anymore, so currently I'm forced to use a Behringer USB>Toslink optical output converter, which considering it was £15, seems less than ideal somehow,

AudioQuest Cinnamon Toslink optical lead, would it be worthwhile replacing this with a Wireworld Supernova?

Naim Atom, love this thing, very happy with it,

Naim Nac A5 speaker cable and Jumper Cables,

PMC DB1i Speakers, Very happy with these, they're near field monitors so are perfect for my desktop, amazing little speakers,

Any suggestions on how to improve it all please? 

Is it possible to do away with the Behringer converter and use a high quality USB lead to the Atom?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice as always,

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Alley Cat
jarvicseven posted:

I'd like some advice about my desktop rig please, 

I'm using,

iMac running Tidal Hi-Fi, as The Mac is a 2018 version it has no option to run an optical output anymore, so currently I'm forced to use a Behringer USB>Toslink optical output converter, which considering it was £15, seems less than ideal somehow,

AudioQuest Cinnamon Toslink optical lead, would it be worthwhile replacing this with a Wireworld Supernova?

Naim Atom, love this thing, very happy with it,

Naim Nac A5 speaker cable and Jumper Cables,

PMC DB1i Speakers, Very happy with these, they're near field monitors so are perfect for my desktop, amazing little speakers,

Any suggestions on how to improve it all please? 

Is it possible to do away with the Behringer converter and use a high quality USB lead to the Atom?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice as always,

You can't use it as a USB DAC.

It is a shame that Apple have got rid of the optical in/out on their latest devices including the new Mac Mini.

Have you established that the Atom sounds better using Tidal over Toslink vs using Tidal in the Naim app (assuming you have a smartphone)?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by mudwolf

I have a Star withCDP to make a one box system that heads another company amp and preamp.   Sometimes I turn it on for background music and a while later it has gone silent, seems to have shut itself off.  And how to I get the QB in bedroom to sync with the Lounge,  I press the button on the control and I still get off paced music.

A friend was some good music but now I'm thinking a NOVA  or star may not be the right system

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by raym55

Just gone a similar route with a Mac Mini into the Atom. Usb out into a Schiit Wyred then into a Stello U3 USB to Coax converter.

I have my music on a NAS so I can also use ther upnp option on the Atom.

Being honest, theres really not much in it and I'm more than happy listening either way. I am seriously considering giving the Mac Mini other duties and using the Atom upnp exclusively.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Why don’t you use the Atom app for Tidal?. If you want to stream from the Mac, another option is a third generation Apple TV using Airplay and the optical output from the ATV.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Actually, you should be able to Airplay directly from the Tidal app on your Mac to the Atom.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Alley Cat
raym55 posted:

Just gone a similar route with a Mac Mini into the Atom. Usb out into a Schiit Wyred then into a Stello U3 USB to Coax converter.

I have my music on a NAS so I can also use ther upnp option on the Atom.

Being honest, theres really not much in it and I'm more than happy listening either way. I am seriously considering giving the Mac Mini other duties and using the Atom upnp exclusively.

I'm not convinced it will be better but have you tried Audirvana on the Mini using the USB out hardwrae?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by raym55

AC, not used Audirvana but have Amarra 4 Luxe and Pure Music installed. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Alley Cat

Fair enough!

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Olek_K

Still don’t get the issue: why would you use tidal from a computer when atom perfectly plays tidal natively?

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by raym55
Olek_K posted:

Still don’t get the issue: why would you use tidal from a computer when atom perfectly plays tidal natively?

Thats pretty much the point I was trying to make with my first post. (although I may not have explained it very well)

Even using a Mac Mini with a few bolt ons, the sound of the Atom is 'up there' and there seems very little benefit in adding complication to the mix.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by jarvicseven

Thanks for the replies,

Is there a desktop app available to play music natively from the atom?  I can only find the iPad app, 

I'll have a look into the Schiit Wyred and Stello U3,

Thanks again for the replies, 

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

No, you need a phone or tablet. 

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by jarvicseven
Olek_K posted:

hungryhalibut posted:

No, you need a phone or tablet. 

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by ChrisSU
jarvicseven posted:

Thanks for the replies,

Is there a desktop app available to play music natively from the atom?  I can only find the iPad app, 

I'll have a look into the Schiit Wyred and Stello U3,

Thanks again for the replies, 

Roon will do this, and do it very well, but it’s rather expensive to use just for control. 

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Okay so, I checked the Tidal Mac app, and it doesn’t do Airplay - not sure why. So the Naim tablet app is the best route, otherwise use an adapter with 3.5mm headphone out of the iMac and RCA input to the Atom.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by jarvicseven

So, this afternoon whilst this place is quiet, I had a chance to experiment a little with the iMac>Atom inputs

I tried connecting to the Atom Via Airplay using Tidals "System Control" which worked and gave me control over the iMac volume settings, compared to the USB>S/PIDF optical input into the Atoms DAC , and the Airplay just doesn't sound as good, 

I don't want to run Tidal natively through the Atom as I then lose the ability to watch and listen to other stuff on my iMac (youtube/music production/etc) plus I like to keep my desktop clean and clutter free, 

After a little research I'm going to try and find a Peachtree X1 or MF V-link 192 to try,

The other option is the Teddy Pardo USB to s/pdif convertor.

Does anyone on here have any experience with it? 

Lastly, the latter 2 have the option of outputting S/PDIF via the RCA type cable, and the Atom has an RCA digital input,

Would this improve things any?

Thanks as ever for everyones advice and patience,

raym55 posted:

Could you expand on this please?

What would I gain by buying bothers these software devices? 

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Mike Sullivan posted:

Okay so, I checked the Tidal Mac app, and it doesn’t do Airplay - not sure why. So the Naim tablet app is the best route, otherwise use an adapter with 3.5mm headphone out of the iMac and RCA input to the Atom.

If you can't get Tidal playing from OSX to your Atom over Airplay, you probably haven't set it up in System Preferences > Sounds > Output. You should see your Atom there, and be able to select it for sound output as an Airplay client. Also check that Audio Midi settings are correct.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by raym55
jarvicseven posted:
raym55 posted:

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how well resolving your system is, you may of may not hear the difference between different software.

In simple terms........

Pure Music mainly uses iTunes as a database management tool although it will allow playback of FLAC files which iTunes natively doesnt but it is a bit of a mash up to get that to work. It also plays DSD and many other formats.

Amarra is essentially a standalone application which doesnt need iTunes to run although you can import all or part of your library from iTunes if you like. Plays many formats naitvely.

Theres much more to these than I am able to write about here and there are + and - to both so its best you look them up and decide for yourself

These are both available on a short trial basis, one month I think, so its no problem to try for your self.

Pure Music. channld.com

Amarra. sonicstudio.com

ChrisSU posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

If you can't get Tidal playing from OSX to your Atom over Airplay, you probably haven't set it up in System Preferences > Sounds > Output. You should see your Atom there, and be able to select it for sound output as an Airplay client. Also check that Audio Midi settings are correct.

As mentioned in my previous post I've had that set-up running for most of the afternoon, as soon as I switched back to the optical connection the whole thing sounded noticeably better, the airplay connection has background noise and sounds thin and flat in comparison, 

Thanks for the reply though,

raym55 posted:
jarvicseven posted:
raym55 posted:

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how well resolving your system is, you may of may not hear the difference between different software.

In simple terms........

Pure Music mainly uses iTunes as a database management tool although it will allow playback of FLAC files which iTunes natively doesnt but it is a bit of a mash up to get that to work. It also plays DSD and many other formats.

Amarra is essentially a standalone application which doesnt need iTunes to run although you can import all or part of your library from iTunes if you like. Plays many formats naitvely.

Theres much more to these than I am able to write about here and there are + and - to both so its best you look them up and decide for yourself

These are both available on a short trial basis, one month I think, so its no problem to try for your self.

Pure Music. channld.com

Amarra. sonicstudio.com

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

I don't use iTunes though, just Tidal, is there any point/will Tidal run with either of them?

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by raym55

Look up on the websites. Amarra has Tidal, not sure about Pure Music.