Remote handset a bit pants...

Posted by: Fizzyhair on 29 November 2018

Am i the only one who thinks that its a bit rubbish that the remote handsets naim put out are so cheap and nasty?

I know many manufacturers do it. Sony put out some horrible remotes with high end tvs. But when you unbox a 3 grand Amplifier from one of the UKs most revered audio brands, you dont expect a remote that looks like it shipped with a £20 Bush DVD player lol. 

To be fair it sounds like every penny of the budget went into the amp. Very very nice indeed. :-D

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by NickSeattle

Not all are bad.  I am fond of the prior Uniti/ND remotes, and the classic Narcom 4.

Nick

Posted on: 29 November 2018 by Japtimscarlet

The narcom4 is ok to look at and use ...not so keen on the 3 ...but thought it ok before the later ones came out 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Richard Dane

If you wanted something nicer than the supplied Narcom, then you could pay some extra money for an R-Com.  I hope Kuma doesn't mind me linking to this image:

Alternatively, you could source a secondhand Flash, which is my personal favourite, although better changing could be tricky...

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Rich 1

I've often thought, why don't Naim faise out the mac and android app and make a decent touch screen, phone sized remote, say with a 7" screen! Would only add a few tens of pounds to the overall cost and make remote development easier as you wouldn't have the vagaries having an app to develop that works on a multitude of devices. Just my two pen'th worth. Rich 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by PSAN
Richard Dane posted:

If you wanted something nicer than the supplied Narcom, then you could pay some extra money for an R-Com.  I hope Kuma doesn't mind me linking to this image:

The R-Com is quite nice - I found a used one a few years back for only 125€. Problem, though, is that it eats batteries like there's no tomorrow. When in regular (not excessive) use I have to change the batteries every 2-3 weeks (so the green light is certainly not indicative of it being environmentally friendly ...). Will probably be relegated to paper weight duty going forward

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I had recently an NDX2 demo connected to a spectral amp. It had this remote control:

It was 'heavy metal'.

Really liked the feeling of the RC. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Bart
Rich 1 posted:

I've often thought, why don't Naim faise out the mac and android app and make a decent touch screen, phone sized remote, say with a 7" screen! Would only add a few tens of pounds to the overall cost and make remote development easier as you wouldn't have the vagaries having an app to develop that works on a multitude of devices. Just my two pen'th worth. Rich 

All things being equal, I'd rather have fewer vs more devices. If I can do everything from the phone app, that's USUALLY preferable to me. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Richard Dane
PSAN posted:
Richard Dane posted:

The R-Com is quite nice - I found a used one a few years back for only 125€. Problem, though, is that it eats batteries like there's no tomorrow. When in regular (not excessive) use I have to change the batteries every 2-3 weeks (so the green light is certainly not indicative of it being environmentally friendly ...). Will probably be relegated to paper weight duty going forward

That's not at all normal and means it has a fault.  Naim may well be able to repair it.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Stephen Tate

I quite like the 'feel' of the Narcom 5 but I do really struggle reading the buttons...

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Daniel H.

I use the Rega Solaris remote to control the volume of my SN2. It only controls the volume, but I have the Narcom-5 as well if I need to change inputs. I find the Rega Solaris more comfortable to use than the standard Narcom-4, and it looks nicer as well! They can be bought individually. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Mulberry

I use my Bow Technologies Wand remote to control the volume on my SN2. Just like the Solaris above, that’s the only thing it can do here. But I already had one and it does look and feel a lot better than the standard one.

Can you switch inputs and/or set the balance on the SN2 with the R-Com?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by MDS

Must say while I've got two R-coms, while are lovely to look at and in the hand, I use neither because they don't have the functionality of the standard remote. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by garyi

I thought the remote with the uniti is quite nice? We use a harmony remote anyhow which is a total joy to use.