Uniti Core finds Metadata for Disc 1 of 2 of an Opera, but can’t identify anything on Disk 2 of 2 for the same Opera.

Posted by: Echolane on 30 November 2018

This has happened to me more than once.  Disc1 is perfectly filled in with all track info properly identified.  But all data fields are completely blank on Disc 2.  I added Title and Artist and Cover with the edit metadata feature and then invoked  “lookup metadata” but it returns nothing.  However when I specifically select Rovi, where it appears Disc 1 got its metadata, a message comes up NO ONLINE METADATA.  That has me really puzzled because how else does Naim affix metadata?

if anyone has any idea how to get the Uniti Core to fill in all the track info on the second Disc, I’d sure appreciate it.  Filling in track info which is in a foreign language, in this case Italian, is most definitely hard going.  I know because I’ve had to do it several times and I’d like to avoid doing it again,

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Gazza

Is it a newly released 2 cd set? I had this on the new Primal Scream Memphis sessions album, one was complete the other had no info. After a week the Core had tracked down the information. I presume the metadata provider was slow?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by David Hendon

As Gazza says, but sometimes you wait for ever and the second disc never appears. This isn’t a Naim issue. It’s because the CD publisher hasn’t correctly provided the metadata to the lookup providers (Rovi et al).

If you don’t want to wait or you’ve waited long enough, you can always edit in the missing information yourself using the app. But when you force a lookup it uses the CD identity read off the disc, so adding the correct information to album title etc yourself doesn’t help the lookup.

It can be a real pain to add all the metadata yourself through the app though. I’ve one CD with 38 tracks and it’s at least six months since I ripped it. The Core still doesn’t recognise it and one day I’m just going to have to put aside half an hour or so to edit in all the detail myself.

best

David

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Echolane

The Album was produced years ago, so based on your assumption or hope that it was a new CD and the publisher would get around to fixing the gap in information isn’t likely to happen.  Which means I’ll have to do it.

is there any way I can get my efforts into one or more of those databases so someone else can benefit? 

Echolane posted

is there any way I can get my efforts into one or more of those databases so someone else can benefit? 

You can get it into FreeDB but it’s a non-trivial thing unless you know what you are doing (I don’t!). Also if the CD identity is in some way ambiguous, which may be why the metadata is missing, then FreeDB may not accept the data upload from you. You have to use specific software to upload the data and it’s very strict format-wise, for obvious reasons.

Anyway that is pretty well all I know about it, but you could go to their website and spend as long as you like becoming an expert! I’m sure it is worth doing if you can be bothered.

Best

David

Thanks for the help.  Don’t know what I’d do without this very helpful forum !!

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Gazza
Echolane posted:

Thanks for the help.  Don’t know what I’d do without this very helpful forum !!

The more people send in these stories direct to Naim via the app or the usual support will hopefully get the Core to another level?

I copied in all the metadata for all 24 tracks, in Italian.  Thank you Handel for all the short names you assigned to each. That’s why It only took me 30 minutes.  But no way I’m going to repeat that effort to try to add it to Freedb.  I wish there were an easier way to accomplish an update but it would be too much effort to repeat the process a second time.

I can’t say I blame you! I have one CD of Rachmaninov piano music with 76 tracks and I recall being mightily relieved when the Core found the metadata ok!

best

David