Townshend audio

Posted by: Popeye on 30 November 2018

hi Guys

any of you have any experience with the Townshend audio vibration dampening products and if they work well and make a difference for the money?

cheers

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Innocent Bystander

There was a thread just a few weeks ago, not about Townshend as such, but with their products mentioned (IIRC it was about another supplier’s isolation feet) You could do worse than search for Townshend and check it out, and maybe ask more in there if it is still open.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Jonners

I think the general consensus is they are highly-rated, at least amongst those users with vibration issues caused by flooring materials and those who are particularly serious about racking systems. Their efficiency does come at a price but that is probably not a surprise given their market positioning.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by yeti42

I have had a townshend Rock mk2 since 1989. Originally it came with metal tipped elastomer feet. Placing this on the early seismic sink gave a nice improvement but not a huge one. When the bellows and spring feet came out Max did a version to replace the elastomer ones and this was a far more substantial improvement over the seismic sink. The Rock was designed to absorb vibrations so isolating it is the right choice, it might not work for everything. The construction of the replacement feet needed a touch of loctite to make them usable but they were by way of prototypes so not typical. I heard Max's own system (with the glastonbury TVC and active speakers)  which sounded impressive, I didn't find it engaging but looking at the multiblock hanging tangled in the interconnects behind it he obviously had no truck with cable dressing, a Naim system set up like that wouldn't have fared much better. I've not heard any system using the later pods and platforms.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by PBenny1066

They were at the recent hifi exhibition in Hammersmith, London. Unfortunately though they were only on display, and it wasn’t possible to audition them, which I think was a missed opportunity. The spring and damper ones caught my eye, they certainly seeemed like a very good way of decoupling a floorstanfing loudspeaker from the floor.  Very soft springs, with movement damped using a simple bellows type arrangement. He was offering 25% discount at the show, and a full money back guarantee if not satisfied. 

For a speaker in the 30kg range, from memory they are extremely expensive, I don’t think he had many takers at the show. 

Doesnt really answer your question but hopefully better than nothing. If you manage to hear what they sound like, please post your findings, ditto for me.

Paul

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Foot tapper

Hi Popeye,

A search for a thread called: Speaker isolation - An eye (ear!) opener

may answer your question.

Best regards, FT

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Polarbear

You will find them very expensive for the difference they make. Whether you find that difference to be an upgrade is subjective. I found nothing improved on my Naim feet.

Kind regards

PB

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by jlarsson

I’m a user of the Piedestals. I also own a set of IsoAcoustics Gaia. I’ve even tried them both together :-)

I prefer the Piedestals but if you want a sensible investment the Gaias are only 25% of the cost. They also seem more common so maybe you could home-demo.