Bookshelf speakers for Unitilite

Posted by: ray sheldon on 30 November 2018

Hi all,

Ive persuaded my mother to dip her toes into the Naim world ,whilst replacing her 25yr old Audiolab(unserviced) and old Arcam cd73 with a Unitilite. She's a pensioner and isn't interested in anything big or costly.  CD is her only source, although she is aware that the Unitilite will give access to Internet radio, UPnP etc, though I doubt she'll rip her CD collection , but I might persuade that one day!

Anyway, having just bought a new smaller house, floor standers or her current stand mounts are not what she wants.  The idea is a long AV unit to house everything, all in one place.  

Looking for small speaker recommendations that will sit at the far ends of the AV unit.  Room is approx 3x3m.  Budget up to £400 and ideally available in various gloss finishes, white, grey or black(but not that important).

Also, does the minimum 3m per channel length of speaker cable apply to the Unitilite and is naca5 that important if there are alternatives cheaper than £34 per metre?

Best,

Ray.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Christopher_M

Hi Ray,

A friend of mine has a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1s in white, which I think would do the job. They come with foam bungs and when I looked at the backs I thought there was provision for wall mounting which would probably make the bass even tighter. They are well within budget. She got hers at Audio-T.

Can't comment on the NACA5 other than say that, me being me, I'd swallow the cost and have the three and a half metres per side. She's only going to do this once.

C.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by NickSeattle

My 10-15 year old Vienna Haydns play very well with either a Lite or Qute.  Using the latter, at the moment.

Nick

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by David Hendon

I don’t think the Unitilite is that fussy about speaker cable length. I use mine in a reserve system with a few metres of cheap 79 strand speaker cable into some old Rogers LS3/5As and it sounds great. The cable lengths aren’t even remotely the same on each side......

So personally I certainly wouldn’t waste her money on NACA5 cables.

best

David

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by GregU

I'm sorry but what ?  You spending 400 pounds on speakers and buying NAC cables?  Take the cable money and add it to speakers and get some lamp cord for speaker cable

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Peter1480

Neat IOTA are about £400 secondhand on the bay they work very well with the uniti range.