Supernait 2 vs NAC82 + NAP200 for my Spendor A9

Posted by: Chris1977 on 30 November 2018

First post here, after years lurking.

I知 on the used market for a new amplifier for my Spendor A9 and I知 quite undecided about two options that would cost more or less the same: either a Supernait 2 or a NAC82 + a NAP200 in its mid-lifecycle version. The main source is a Teac UD-501 at the moment, but this could change in the future. 

Any opinion or advice would be much appreciated, since I have no chances to compare any of these options in my system. And of course, the main question is: how different would they sound?

Some background: I知 not an audiophile really, so this is going to be a long term investment. I listen to jazz, hard rock, symphonic and some prog rock/prog metal. I知 technically inclined, so I could spend some time in tweaking and upgrading but not much. I need a remote. I致e always built cables with good results and I think I値l do the same for this new amplifier.

Thank you!

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Paul Ca

You seem to have made an excellent start, I have Spendor A9 with my Superunity, Rega RP10 and NAP250DR.

We have listened to systems costing MANY times more and are very content with what we have.  Enjoy!

paul

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by drawtheline55

This would make an excellent comparison. I have the original supernait which is excellent, and am now using a 282 as a pre, using the power amp section of the nait, can already hear differences. I have read on the forum that people say the 200 is better than the amp in the nait.

My guess is the 82/200 would perform better, but that is a guess.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I壇 go for the 82/200 myself, but to get the best from it you really want to power the 82 with a Hicap. Also, if buying used, you may need to budget for a recap/service. 

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by trickydickie

As Chris says a Hicap will get the best out of the 82.

With a Hicap in play I'd be looking for an olive 250 rather than the 200.  Much more capable and everything will match visiually.

You really do need to consider a source upgrade though, probably sooner rather than later.  

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

As an owner of an 82/180 who has just swapped HC for a SC I'm about to swap the 180 for a 250 because the 82 deserves a HC/250.  There is no problem going for 82/200 it will sound great and I'm sure youl enjoy it but for not very much more you could have 82/HC/250 which is a fantastic sounding amp

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Chris1977

Thank you all for replying.

Looks like the NAC82 + NAP200 (or NAP250) route has the consensus.

Can I upgrade these old "olive" separates with an HiCap DR in the future? How many HiCaps/HiCaps DR would be required? One? Two of them?

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by aznblue

Bob the Builder posted:

As an owner of an 82/180 who has just swapped HC for a SC I'm about to swap the 180 for a 250 because the 82 deserves a HC/250.  There is no problem going for 82/200 it will sound great and I'm sure youl enjoy it but for not very much more you could have 82/HC/250 which is a fantastic sounding amp

It sounds like you miss the 282/300 and you're working your way back!

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Dungassin
Chris1977 posted:

Can I upgrade these old "olive" separates with an HiCap DR in the future? How many HiCaps/HiCaps DR would be required? One? Two of them?

Well, if you get a NAP250 you'll need at least one to power the 82.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Chris1977 posted:

You can use a new HicapDR or an older non-DR version. Some think adding a second Hicap is better still, others don't, but you can worry about that another time - you only need one.