Have I got a speaker problem.?

Posted by: Quad 33 on 30 November 2018

Good evening all. I have just  had my 250.2 serviced and DR at HQ. Before  it was sent away I was experiencing what I can only describe as a lack of a full range / sound stage - everything seems muted in my right speaker. After talking to Darran at Class A we decided that the amp probably was ready for a service and this was probably the problem with the sound. I collected the amp tonight but it does no seem to have solved the problem. Have any of you guys got any thoughts? There is a full equipment spec in problem in my profile. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

ATB Graham.

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by james n

Graham - when you say muted, do you mean quieter than the left hand speaker or more muffled (as if the BMR is not working as it should)  ?

Is this the same for all sources ?

Do you get the same result if you swap the right speaker to the left channel output on the 250 and vice versa ?

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Quad 33
james n posted:

Graham - when you say muted, do you mean quieter than the left hand speaker or more muffled (as if the BMR is not working as it should)  ?

Is this the same for all sources ?

Do you get the same result if you swap the right speaker to the left channel output on the 250 and vice versa ?

Yes James quieter / muffled on both CD and vinyl my only sources, same result if I swap channels.

Graham

Ok - Looks like a speaker problem as you've swapped channels and the same speaker sounds muffled.

I'd suspect an issue with the BMR unit or (less likely) the crossover. 

Posted on: 30 November 2018 by Quad 33
james n posted:

Ok - Looks like a speaker problem as you've swapped channels and the same speaker sounds muffled.

I'd suspect an issue with the BMR unit or (less likely) the crossover. 

Thanks James.

Take care Graham

PS -your post reminded me of another thread a month of so back which may be of interest

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...ed-sound-help-please

Hope you get it fixed ok Graham. 

James

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Quad 33
james n posted:

PS -your post reminded me of another thread a month of so back which may be of interest

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...ed-sound-help-please

Hope you get it fixed ok Graham. 

James

Hi James

just to let you know my dealer came out this afternoon to have a listen to the speaker and agreed with your diagnosis. Sounds like a BMR unit problem, so it was boxed up and taken away. However, he did not leave me musicless and kindly loaned me a pair of small floor standing Totams; which just goes to show how important good dealers are to our hobby! So thanks again for giving your knowledge so freely, the forum is fortunate to have such a resource.

Best regards Graham.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by james n

That's good Graham and at least you have music whilst the offending Ovator is away.

You can also get some mileage on that freshly serviced 250.2 ready for the return of the un-muffled Ovator  

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Quad 33

Happy New Year everyone. Just a quick up date on my speaker problem. My speaker has finally come home today after having a new BMR unit fitted apparently it had moved about an inch some issue with the glue! I would like to give a big shout out to my dealer Audio Images particularly Andy & Lee for all their help.

PS As anyone any idea how long it will take for the new unit to run in?

ATB Graham

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Jonners
Quad 33 posted:

Happy New Year everyone. Just a quick up date on my speaker problem. My speaker has finally come home today after having a new BMR unit fitted apparently it had moved about an inch some issue with the glue! I would like to give a big shout out to my dealer Audio Images particularly Andy & Lee for all their help.

PS As anyone any idea how long it will take for the new unit to run in?

ATB Graham

mm, I'd have thought 100-200 hours. Leaving your system on 24x7 playing radio or an album on permanent repeat should do it.