Vinyl care - Laugh or cry?

Posted by: sjw on 01 December 2018

Some online advice for skipping records 

"You can get a clean record of the music by applying gentle pressure to the tone arm, which will push the needle deeper and the record might play through the skip. You can use a small weight or put your finger on it. This method should be employed if it’s your only option or it might damage the record.'

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Japtimscarlet

That of course is rickdickulass who can be bothered to stand there with there finger on top of the tonearm

yes a weight is the answer

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Guinnless

A 2p piece on the headshell always works a treat. ????

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by douglas

If the record will not play NO WAY would I apply pressure to the pick up cantilever and stylus at all. Sometimes there can be a bit of muck like a small spot on the surface. A toothbrush can sometimes remove this or you could try a dealer's record cleaning machine.

If not dump the disc. My cartridge has a boron cantilever. They are relatively strong but if they fail I am told it just shatters into bits. New cartridge or P/E?

Douglas.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Guinnless

DOUGLAS the responses here are in jest and taking the Mickey out of the online "advice" ????

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by RaceTripper

I have a $3000 cartridge. If a record skips and can't be corrected with deep cleaning I stop playing it and try to replace it, if it worthwhile to do so. No record is worth the risk of damaging an expensive cartridge using dodgy techniques to force the record to play.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by feeling_zen

Go to streaming and be done with vinyl care nonsense

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Dungassin
Guinnless posted:

A 2p piece on the headshell always works a treat. ????

Reminds me of using the old windup gramophone at my great-aunt's house in Clitheroe.  I used to love 'The Laughing Policeman' when I was a kid.