Airplay 2 for Uniti Nova - or when does the firmware update with Airplay 2 come?

Posted by: Timo Dellai on 01 December 2018

Hi,

I am owning a high class Naim Uniti Nova and I bought this device because of the sound, quality and update-ability.

The quality is very good.

But unfortunately the sound not anymore with my AppleTV (4th generation).
They are connected via Airplay (I know TOS Link etc. would be better, but due to Wife acceptance i needed to reduce cabeling). Since Apple introduced Airplay 2 sometimes the audio of the AppleTV gets dropouts and crackeling. This is very annoying and only a hard restart can fix the problem.
Also Spotify seems sometimes not to work.

With the update-ability I was hoping that Naim will release a firmware update with Airplay2 soon. But I am waiting for that now since several months. The Firmware of my Unit Nova is still 2.6.1 (9794).

ps: Sorry, I am a bit frustrated, because of the low level of maintenance and missing firmware updates. And hence I am really considering changing to Sonos system...

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Airplay 2 won’t improve sound quality, it’s just additional mulitroom functionality on Apple devices. For best sound you need to either use the Naim app if you are streaming from the web, or directly connect other sources. What sources are you using for music?

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Timo,

the Firmware update for the Mu-Sos for Airplay 2 was released very recently, with new Unitis to follow soon.  So hopefully, you shouldn't need to wait too much longer.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by CaptainJack

Is there a release date for AirPlay 2 support on the Uniti range? I don’t understand why the high end products are forced to wait while the MuSo got priority.