Improving performance NAC-N 172XS/NAP 155

Posted by: scubafink on 01 December 2018

Hi everyone.

I have the NAC-N 172XS/NAP 155 into Sonus Faber Concertino speakers.

Speakers:

System: 10 liters two-way bass reflex
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Power Handling: 25-120 watts
Frequency response: 55-20,000 Hz, + 3 dB
Crossover: First order attenuated
Sensitivity: 86 dB/1 watt/1 m

Drivers
Woofer/Midrange: 140 mm PP treated cone
Tweeter: 20 mm silk dome ferrofluid
Connection: Bi-wiring
Dimensions (H × W × D): 320 × 220 × 290 mm (12 × 8 × 11 in)
Packaged Weight: 33 lbs. (15 Kg)

I find I need to push the volume high to get the detailed Naim signature sound.

My dealer suggests swapping out the NAP 155XS for a NAP 250.2 (non DR) to solve the problem, rather than the 272XS streamer (do that later).

Any suggestions?

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Matteo

Speakers cable?

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by scubafink

Speaker cables are Belden 5000UE 12 with Locking Banana plugs, Gold-plated, setscrew-style from https://www.bluejeanscable.com...re/speaker/index.htm

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

I agree with your dealer... which is unusual for me ????

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

If you are after a more lively sound - it’s not clear what is meant by ‘the detailed Naim signature sound’ - it may be best to change the speakers. It would be a lot cheaper. 

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by robgr

Dispense with the bi-wiring but use decent links then upgrade the speaker cables, NAC A5 would be a worthwhile improvement and should bring some synergy

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by feeling_zen

Your dealer is right. Find a good condition 250.2 for a  decent price and drop the bi-wire for a single run of quality multi-stranded cable that is soldered onto the plugs. 

I'll eat my shorts if that doesn't set things right.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I agree, single wire into a 250, or possibly a 200, would be a nice improvement. Try to listen to both, as they sound a bit different, to see which you prefer. 

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by scubafink

Great recommendations. Thanks everyone. 

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Matteo

I would try first with a pair of 5mt of NACA5 or Linn K20

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by scubafink

Based on feedback I upgraded the NAP-155xs to a pre-owned NAP250.2 and a pair of new NACA5 cables.  The NAC-172XS NAP205.2 combo is now singing sweet tunes through my much loved Sonus Faber Concertino speakers. The upgrade is spectacularly different in all positive ways.  I instantly heard the improvement in soundstage, separation, musicality....and just pure enjoyment.  The speakers had air and room to operate.  I am very pleased, to say the least.

My local dealer is now offering a pre-owned NAC282/flatcap to work with the NAC172 with a view to swapping out the NAC172 for a pre-owned NDX or NDX2 at a later stage. I could also keep an eye out for a pre-owned hicap.

Thoughts on this upgrade path?

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Good to hear that you are enjoying your amp upgrade. A 282 would be a step towards a great system, although I would consider looking for a Hicap to power it rather than a Flatcap. Running this with a 172 as source will work, but I don’t know how good it will sound into a superior amp. Another option would be to upgrade your source, then add a 282 later. 

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Matteo
scubafink posted:

My local dealer is now offering a pre-owned NAC282/flatcap to work with the NAC172 with a view to swapping out the NAC172 for a pre-owned NDX or NDX2 at a later stage. I could also keep an eye out for a pre-owned hicap.

Thoughts on this upgrade path?

I guess that now your best bet could be to sit down and enjoy your system for a while.

Or maybe you could kill two birds with one stone with a s/h 272, adding a PSU later.

M.