Fake vinyl

Posted by: Alley Cat on 02 December 2018

I'd have never assumed this would be a viable thing to do, but crooks do anything it seems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46393631

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I'm afraid it is I have a fake copy of Paul Weller's debut solo LP that wasn't even gatefold like the original and also a fake copy of Massive Attack's Protection both purchased on Discogs. I received full refunds and also kept both LP's as curios.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

And on another note companies like DOL are producing 'legal' bootlegs cutting LP's out of copyright I suppose from CD's and making huge sums doing so.

Posted on: 02 December 2018 by Alley Cat
Bob the Builder posted:

I'm afraid it is I have a fake copy of Paul Weller's debut solo LP that wasn't even gatefold like the original and also a fake copy of Massive Attack's Protection both purchased on Discogs. I received full refunds and also kept both LP's as curios.

I guess I'm simply amazed that the vinyl/lathes/stampers needed are still around and actually available to crooks.

Who are DOL?

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Rich 1

Just to act as devil's advocate, a modern high quality digital recording is also pressed as vinal analogue, so that's fake as well! Rich 

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Richard Dane

I would argue that an LP cut from a CD is most likely “fake”, but from a hi res master, the results can be astonishingly good. Best judge are your ears.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Rich 1

My point is, most modern recordings are taken from high quality digital masters so the LP is only a reflection of the digital recording and not true analogue. ie, bits verses analogue. Still acting as devil's advocate because I do have several modern LPs that are fondly listened too. Rich