Football commentaries

Posted by: ChrisR_EPL on 03 December 2018

This is trivial, but annoying. I long ago accepted that BBC local radio football commentaries are blocked on streamed audio, but on Saturday on the still new Muso I put R Leicester on and had full commentary of Leicester v Watford. Great. Then I accidentally switched off the router, when it came back up commentary had been replaced by the recorded message on a loop, that due to contractual reasons blah blah.

I can't test it post full network reboot till the next game (v Fulham on Weds) but would anyone have any ideas why commentary was available then wasn't? And on a wider point why is BBC commentary on a UK IP blocked anyway? It's 2018, we don't all still live where we grew up within the TSA for what's still our proper local radio. Why is it important to make sure that people in the North East, or Cornwall, or even Lincolnshire, can't listen to a local station unless it's via traditional broadcast methods?

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bart

Here in the States it's the same.  I can listen to my local baseball team broadcasts over the air, but that station's internet radio stream gets blocked when the game is on.  This is due to the contracts that the baseball league itself have with broadcasters; the league owns the rights to the commentary broadcast, and doles it out where it can make the most money.  So I pay $15.00 per year for access to the league's app where I can stream those broadcasts, in this case anywhere within the States.

Is there a streaming app that you pay for that would give you access to what you want? If so, that's the reason.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by ChrisSU

You might be able to use a VPN to fool them into thinking you are in a location they cover. Some allow you to choose a server by location - I use ExpressVPN, which does this. Maybe worth doing the free trial.