Parking the record function

Posted by: yeti42 on 04 December 2018

Back when I had a 282 I was advised to mute record and select an unused input to park it on, which was aux1 in my case. I couldn’t hear much difference at the time so might as well follow the advice. I carried this on when I replaced the 282 with a 552 and during a recent visit to check on the ND555 the same chap who offered the earlier advice 10 years ago now recommends parking the muted record selection on aux2, I also noticed this is where it was parked during a recent demo run by Jason Gould so I’ve been doing a bit of comparing and there does seem to be a stronger emotional connection to the music but a slightly darker presentation where I can perceive any difference, it’s not apparent on all music but does seem to persist between vinyl on input 6 (mapped to aux2) and streamer on input 1 (mapped to hdd). Music where I detect a preference includes Soul Journey by Gillian Welch, Man and Myth by Roy Harper and Rostropovich and Britten playing Debussy’s Cello Sonata. 

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Guinnless

My 82 is 'parked' on Aux   

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Crispy

Ok, just got an upgrade using one finger. Now on aux2 and immediately noticed a difference. More definition, air in the presentation and everything just a bit tighter. An upgrade my wife will be pleased with......

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by jsaudio

Sorry folks but what does it mean to"park the muted record selection on aux2". I have a 552 and ND555 as only source on the hdd input.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by yeti42

To select aux2 and mute on the second row of buttons if not using the record facility.

Try it against selecting another input on the lower buttons, you’ll either hear a difference or you won’t and if you do can you form a preference. You can also try muting against unmuting the second row?

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Guinnless

I believe muting puts the record circuit to sleep. Pressing the input Mono button four times in quick succession locks the chosen settings.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Gavin B

Jason G. also mentioned this to me recently, but suggested switiching to the record source furthest from the source you're using. My NDS uses Aux 1, so I select and mute CD on the record bank.

Does it makes any difference? No idea, but I'm happy to take Jason's advice as it's not exactly a hardship to do so!