Paul Sherwen R.I.P

Posted by: Tabby cat on 04 December 2018

Really sad news for the cycling community.Paul Sherwen sadly passed on aged 62 at his home in Uganda due to heart problems.He was brought up in Kenya but came to England in his teens and rode his first Tour De France in 1978 and finished 70th.He subsequently rode it another six times never bettering his first ride.In his last year as a pro he won the British Road Race Championship.

in 1989 he joined channel 4's Tour De France team with Phil Liggett and they became the voice of U.K  television cycling.I never missed a tour stage in the 1990's and it was great watching the Indurain years and the emergence of Armstrong later in that decade.

I always thought Paul and Phil's commentary was always first class especially Paul's input from being a pro in the bunch.

He will be sadly missed 

R.I.P Paul     

(Paul is on the left of the picture with Phil Liggett)

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZSRRivY4xlE/Rb_BIBZS2JI/AAAAAAAAARs/JIZQFE0wY08/s320/Paul_Phil.jpg

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by naim_nymph

Very sad news indeed.

I don't know the details of his heart problems but it goes to show there are no guarantees for good health and a long life.

It does seem so unfair that someone gifted with excellent athletic prowess can succumb to premature heart failure : (

Debs

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by ChrisR_EPL
Tabby cat posted:

.....rode his first Tour De France in 1978 and finished 70th.He subsequently rode it another six times never bettering his first ride.

Sad news, when I saw Ned Boulting's Tweet on Sunday night it took a while to click which Paul he was referring to. PhilnPaul were the ideal pairing through all of C4 and then ITV's TdF coverage. Ned & Millar D have since taken over and are good and improve every year in leaps n bounds, but Paul with Phil are the Ken Wolstenholmes of cycling commentary.

Re the quotes above, domestiques don't ride for position. Their job is done a few Ks from the finish each day then they just roll in, usually trying to be within cutoff.  Outside of GC contenders & those chasing jerseys, finishing position is pretty much irrelevant as long as the red light van doesn't loom into view.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by joerand

Sad end for a former elite athlete to die relatively young from a heart ailment.

Bob and Phil were complementary in their broadcast styles and developed a good rhythm and rapport. I'll miss that.