Usb be spdif on Blu2 and Chord Dave

Posted by: analogmusic on 05 December 2018

did a test this weekend on an Auralic Aries streamer with its USB vs SPDIF on a blu2/Dave Dac

The SPDIF sounded much better, less glare on vocals and more musical too.

quite strange as it’s not even the USB input on the Dave that was used it was the one in Blu2 upscsler

the aries has a linear power supply 

I’m somewhat surprised as I thought the USB should be better....?

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by No quarter

I think USB has more RF noise,I will demo the Mscaler TT2 in the new year,Fed SPDIF from my Core.How did it sound anyway?

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by analogmusic

Hmmm the blu2 mscaler enhances the already good Dave. There more resolution and more music extracted.

best performance comes from the blu2 CD player but from the Coax I’ve heard a different sound each time a different streamer was used. Can’t say now which is best... tried Naim HDX linn Majik and AURALiC Aries... to my ears the Auralic and linn were very close. The HDX sounded different to both. Strange... I didn’t expect this. These aren’t small differences but clear ones. 

And in the case of the Auralic, different from coax vs USB output with coax a clear winner compared to USB.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Naim's preferred digital connection has always been coaxial SPDIF, and the only digital cable they make is coax, which might tell you something. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Chrissw19

I had a similar experience during an extended home test of the Blu II. Best quality was CD replay, then close second was via SPDIF (NDS spdif out to BLU) and third (easy to hear the difference) was via USB Melco to BLU. As I understand it, the BLU USB socket is not isolated which probably explains the result.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by No quarter

From reading the various Chord forums,as I understand it,the CD replay out of the Blu2 is the best sound you can get out of the Blu2/Dave.If other inputs do not sound as good,there must be noise/RF on that input.The solution is usually ferrites,with the Blu2.The Mscaler is supposed to have better isolation than the Blu2,plus it does not have the CD option...at half the cost.Do you plan on buying an Mscaler Analog?

Chrissw19 posted:

I had a similar experience during an extended home test of the Blu II. Best quality was CD replay, then close second was via SPDIF (NDS spdif out to BLU) and third (easy to hear the difference) was via USB Melco to BLU. As I understand it, the BLU USB socket is not isolated which probably explains the result.

Indeed it is easy to hear the difference. 

I know a number of people use a Gustard U12 on this forum, maybe that's worth looking into? It has optical output as well as AES/EBU which looks interesting to try into Dave.

No quarter posted:

From reading the various Chord forums,as I understand it,the CD replay out of the Blu2 is the best sound you can get out of the Blu2/Dave.If other inputs do not sound as good,there must be noise/RF on that input.The solution is usually ferrites,with the Blu2.The Mscaler is supposed to have better isolation than the Blu2,plus it does not have the CD option...at half the cost.Do you plan on buying an Mscaler Analog?

Yes, once I have sorted out the front end streaming (SPDIF) to Dave (which will then also be the source to the Mscaler eventually). 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Emre

Ndx2 maybe...

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by analogmusic

Yes maybe, but it is very expensive as a streamer only..... I think of the NDX2 as a complete solution.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by tonym
No quarter posted:

I can't comment on other people's experiences, but the USB output from a Melco into Blu2 then on to DAVE sounded better than the Blu2's CD player. I may well end up with the upscaler (I've no need for a CD player, & it may well be that without the extra circuitry the former will sound better anyway), and will use Melco USB into iFi USB3 isolator to feed it.