Recommended concert DVD’s or Blu-ray’s

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 05 December 2018

Thought it would be good to open a thread on tops for great concert DVD’s or Blu-ray’s. As we sometime also move the music to the screen. As in the early years the picture quality was not always perfect I suggest we focus on sound impressions first. I will start with an absolutely stunning one, Pulse of Pink Floyd...

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Adding one typical Dutch one, I will publish more but will wait for suggestions of others as well...

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by tonym
Bert Schurink posted:

Thought it would be good to open a thread on tops for great concert DVD’s or Blu-ray’s. As we sometime also move the music to the screen. As in the early years the picture quality was not always perfect I suggest we focus on sound impressions first. I will start with an absolutely stunning one, Pulse of Pink Floyd...

I used to have this on Laser Disc, & waited with great anticipation for the DVD. For reasons I never found out, they used different footage on the DVD, and it just isn't as good for me.

Good topic though Bert - I really enjoy music DVDs (still not seen any 4K ones appear yet), and you can rip the soundtracks. I'll post some of my favourites when I'm on my 'puter.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by dave marshall

Joe Bonamassa - An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House.                        Joe Bonamassa - Live From The Royal Albert Hall.

Two quality live performances from the riffmeister of modern Rock / Blues ......... the first one a more subdued acoustic, yet hugely

rhythmic offering of many of his more popular songs, the other, Joe and his band at their cooking best.

As an aside, does anyone know of a straightforward method of extracting the audio content of Blu-ray discs in WAV format?

Hi Dave, you need DVD Audio Extractor, available for PC or Mac. The only problem is that most BluRays are copy-protected, so you need to remove this. I use DVD Fab, which strips it off.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by dave marshall
tonym posted:

Hi Dave, you need DVD Audio Extractor, available for PC or Mac. The only problem is that most BluRays are copy-protected, so you need to remove this. I use DVD Fab, which strips it off.

Cheers, Tony,

I'll look into these two, and note that they are available for Mac, which I use.

The two discs I mentioned above sound great via my augmented TV sound, but I've always been curious as to how they might sound through my Naim system.

Thanks again,

Dave.

tonym posted:

Do I understand it well that you use both to rip a Blu-ray- as I can see that these DVD fab guys also seem to offer a ripper which apparently does it all in one go ?

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Mylene Farmer - Avant Que L'Ombre ...a Bercy (2006)

She is utterly sensational live. French pop at its finest. One of the best concerts I've been to.

Calexico - World Drifts In (2004)

Classic mid-period Calexico with full-on mariachi

Rammstein - Live Aus Berlin (2000). Early stuff. Monstered.

Love - The Forever Changes Concert (2003).  Went to this too. Utterly spellbinding.

Bert Schurink posted:
tonym posted:

Do I understand it well that you use both to rip a Blu-ray- as I can see that these DVD fab guys also seem to offer a ripper which apparently does it all in one go ?

Hi Bert, you may be right - I've always used DVD AE, never tried Fab for ripping. Most DVDs you can rip straight off with Audio Extractor.

OK, here are a few of my recommendations - 

Procol Harum with a great set, in a lovely venue.

A truly stunning concert, the guitarist's guitarist at his best, with brilliant PQ, sound.

Amazing concert, with awesome Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

Lots more to follow...

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes (2010)

A bit more raucous and alive than the recent Red Rocks stuff. Michael is just as sweary though!

And here they are...

Oh let me add another one...

Nick Lees posted:

Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes (2010)

A bit more raucous and alive than the recent Red Rocks stuff. Michael is just as sweary though!

And here they are...

Funny have it, but never watched the DVD - thanks for the tip...

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Stevee_S

Metallica's S&M is one of my favourites.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Stevee_S
Nick Lees posted:

Greetings, Nick I hope all is going well, I'll try and drop you an e-mail before Christmas! You're the second person to recommend this Live Calexico DVD  to me so I really must put this back into the basket and press the button. Thanks to Jeff Anderson for initially recommending it to me months ago...

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan
Bert Schurink posted:

Is this on Bluray Bert? Would be a winner for my wife.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Nick Lees

Shpongle - Live In London (2013). Modern psychedelia and more than slightly barmy. Great music and viewing. The perfect way into their world if you're new to them. And yes, the elderly gent on flute is Raja Ram from Quintessence.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51JYGVPXMRL.jpg

We often find ourselves watching this whenever an audiovisual session is called for.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Richard Dane

An Oldie, but a goodie, and one that we used a lot at Naim for demonstrating the DVD5 and AV2;

Peter Gabriel - Growing Up. Now available as a Blu-ray too.

The release I'm really looking forward to is of Kate Bush's Before The Dawn concert. I have read that the shows were filmed, but no word since.  Perhaps we'll here more once sales of the album reissues have tailed off a bit.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Some more that I used to use for demo as I like the music and they sounded really good;

Yes Acoustic - No More Hiss

Crosby, Stills & Nash - The Acoustic Concert

MTV Unplugged  - Lauryn Hill

Kraftwerk - Minimum - Maximum

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Chunky
Stevee_S posted:
Nick Lees posted:

Greetings, Nick I hope all is going well, I'll try and drop you an e-mail before Christmas! You're the second person to recommend this Live Calexico DVD  to me so I really must put this back into the basket and press the button. Thanks to Jeff Anderson for initially recommending it to me months ago...

I can also heartily recommend this.  I saw them on this tour in Manchester and they were wonderful.  The DVD brings back some good memories.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Chunky

This tour is the only time I've seen Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds live.  The gig was memorable and they are undoubtedly one of the best bands I've seen.  This DVD is excellent.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Bert Schurink
Mike Sullivan posted:
Bert Schurink posted:

Is this on Bluray Bert? Would be a winner for my wife.

Yes that makes it’s such a great joy. Picture quality and sound.