Android App any better?

Posted by: BLACKMASS on 06 December 2018

I’ll be ordering a ND5 XS 2 in January and wanted to know if the Android app has improved?

I currently own a Samsung S8, which I was planning on using with the ND5. However after searching through previous threads it looks like the Android app has a poor rep and buggy.

I could buy an ipad but I would much rather put funds towards a NAS. I'm not in a position to buy both at the moment.

Cheers

Rob

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Pev

I use the Naim app with my Lenovo Yoga 3 tablet and it is absolutely fine. There are reports of problems with both Android and iOS devices - I wouldn't waste money on an iPad until you have tried it with your Samsung phone. As always, most of the issues seem to be network rather than device related.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ChrisSU

I think the answer will depend on the Android device you are using, as the app performance seems to vary depending on what you run it on. For me, it used to work well on an Android device that would only run 4.1, but the Naim app will no longer run on such an old version.

There was a back button that worked perfectly well too. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by RadebeR

Hi -- I've been using the Android app (Samsung Galaxy S7) for a couple of years on an Atom, Muso and Muso QB.   It used to be unbearably horrendous but the latest round of firmware updates for the Atom (April?) and Musos and, of course, the updates to the app itself have fixed the vast majority of the issues.  I find the Android experience now to be on a par with the iPad app (which I also have and use from time to time).

As for the complaint about the back button, all I can say is that it works fine for me (just tested it).

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by BLACKMASS
RadebeR posted:

Hi -- I've been using the Android app (Samsung Galaxy S7) for a couple of years on an Atom, Muso and Muso QB.   It used to be unbearably horrendous but the latest round of firmware updates for the Atom (April?) and Musos and, of course, the updates to the app itself have fixed the vast majority of the issues.  I find the Android experience now to be on a par with the iPad app (which I also have and use from time to time).

As for the complaint about the back button, all I can say is that it works fine for me (just tested it).

Thank you. That's music to my ears.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Pev

I accept that different Android devices may work in different ways depending on Android version etc. - that's why I specified what I use. The back button works perfectly well for me as does everything else. My tablet cost £80 from John Lewis 2 years ago and I wouldn't swap it for any iOS device - I had to use an iPad for work for a month and found it very limiting.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Woj

I have been using Naim app on a sony xperia phone previously and currently I amusing it on the Samsung S7 phone. In both cases I had lots of issues. The main issue on the Samsung phone is that sometimes the app does not see the UPNP servers. Sometimes when I hit 'back' button it does not do anything or takes me back to server selection instead of back to folders etc.  I have to kill the app and re-start for everything to work. Recently I bought an Ipad (2018). No problems whatsoever, it connects quickly and works flawlessly.  Ipad is much better as a remote to me although it is an expensive remote (I find it also very limiting for anything else). Roon looks and works better, in my opinion, on an Ipad too.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Pcd

I used the Android app for several years but was having problems switched to a IOS device about this time last year and in my set up the IOS app is vastly superior.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Bart

1. Try your Android device. If it works well you're all set.  If not, . . . 

B. Buy a used or refurbished slightly older model iPad.  They can be had "relatively" inexpensively and there is no need to spend for the latest. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by HiFiman

The Android app is crap, tried on a Samsung S7, S8 and S9, navigation is the issue and occasionally the volume bar disappears and it's not consistent.

My old iPad mini that's about 7 years old no issues.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by SpyderTracks
Bart posted:

B. Buy a used or refurbished slightly older model iPad.  They can be had "relatively" inexpensively and there is no need to spend for the latest. 

This, so this....

If you do find the android app too buggy, you can pay as little as under £100 for a second hand ipad, of course it will be a few generations old, but if all you're really using it for is as a control center, it will be absolutely fine.

I'd recommend MusicMagpie, they used to just do old CD buying, but have now branched out into second hand devices and they're very trustworthy and much better value than somewhere like CEX.

As an example below:

https://store.musicmagpie.co.u...c5-95cb-5366bada93d5

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by BLACKMASS
SpyderTracks posted:
Bart posted:

This, so this....

If you do find the android app too buggy, you can pay as little as under £100 for a second hand ipad, of course it will be a few generations old, but if all you're really using it for is as a control center, it will be absolutely fine.

I'd recommend MusicMagpie, they used to just do old CD buying, but have now branched out into second hand devices and they're very trustworthy and much better value than somewhere like CEX.

As an example below:

https://store.musicmagpie.co.u...c5-95cb-5366bada93d5

Brilliant thank you for the advice and link, much appreciated. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

Android app still sucks and still has major discovery issues and freezes on my oneplus 5. Mine managed to turn on the Atom today then lost it completely and could not connect after it was on. Lol.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Rich 1

We used to hate it but now we've got used to its idiosyncrasies we're quite happy. We have Android and iPhone and both have different issues. We mix and match depending on what's at hand, my wife and I are happy using either. Should you have two phones or pads remember you can't use both at the same time. Rich 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by al9315

I did write to Naim Customer Support about 18 months ago  re: the app problems on Android.

To me, if it advertises Apple or Android, then both should work, I do not wish to have to buy into Apple (especially just to operate my streamer) ?!

It has improved a bit with updates, but still has to be re-started fairly often, and the 'screen jump' which is annoying has not been rectified.

I do get by, but it is far from seamless, and with all these lovely new streamers launched, I am hopeful that soon we will get either a completely rewritten app, or at least all the little bugs killed !

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by dknk

I use the Android app on Android OS 7.1.1 Asus phone and Android OS 8.1.2 Samsung tablet. I don't have any major issues with it, I would spend your money on the NAS.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Brian H

So the Andoid app is very inconsistent in ts behaviour both in the device and the interface. I’ve tried it again yesterday no magic wand.

Try it and be prepared to use the iOS verion which seldom gets a negative press.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by BLACKMASS

Thanks for all the replies. Ordered the ND5 XS 2 yesterday and should have it by mid January. 

I'll try the Android app first and see how I get on with. I don't particularly mind buying an iPad. They are nicer to use, bigger screen etc  but it's a pretty expensive remote control. 

Cheers 

Rob

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by TonyR

The app has improved but if you're not happy with it you might want to consider Roon instead of an iPad.
You might want to consider Roon anyway, I think it's great.

Regards

Tony

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by Pev

Plus one for Roon - much better use of the money than an iPad in my experience.

Posted on: 09 December 2018 by BLACKMASS

Totally newbie here so apologies...

I haven't quite got my head round Roon yet. Is it like Tidal or does it 'arrange' what you already have on your NAS? Can you just down load the app and run it on my phone like Tidal or some other subscription service? Bear in mind I have nothing yet. No streamer or NAS. 

Again apologies... 

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by ChrisByrd

I've recently switched from iOS to Android and the app is working without problems on my Huawei P8 Lite and  Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, both running Android 8.  Time will tell how it compares with using an iPad. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Brian H

2.9 seems to be an improvement on My Galaxy J3 uPnP and Radio better