2 XLR cable to Naim 4 pin for NAP

Posted by: angelface on 06 December 2018

I am thinking of getting a Naim power amp but I will need a cable that connects my left and right XLR outputs from my pre-amp (yes not a Naim pre-amp) to the 4 pin input of say a NAP250-2.

Can anyone suggest someone who makes and sells this type of cable?  There seems plenty of people who do 2 x RCA to Naim 4 pin but not XLR.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by angelface

I see that later NAP300 do in fact have dual XLR inputs but they are a bit out of my price range.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

Bear in mind that Naim poweramps are designed to work with Naim preamps, so your results will be unpredictable. That said, I’m sure Chord or Flashback would make a suitable cable for you if you ask them. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Another thing - Naim amps do not have a ‘balanced’ signal path, so there is no benefit in using xlr to din. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ChrisSU
angelface posted:

I am thinking of getting a Naim power amp but I will need a cable that connects my left and right XLR outputs from my pre-amp (yes not a Naim pre-amp) to the 4 pin input of say a NAP250-2.

Can anyone suggest someone who makes and sells this type of cable?  There seems plenty of people who do 2 x RCA to Naim 4 pin but not XLR.

The 250 has a 3-pin XLR input, rather than a 4 pin DIN like the 200.

I notice from your profile that you have a passive preamp - I'd be interested to hear how this works with a Naim power amp if you decide to try it. A few people have reported good results with a passive pre, even though a Naim preamp is thought by many to be the heart of a Naim system.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by French Rooster
angelface posted:

i have a non naim pre with nap 250 dr.  Chord made me the special cable to connect both.  I use rca / rca to din/xlr.      I know that some use townsend allegri passive with naim amps, with satisfaction.   

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Richard Dane
angelface posted:

I see that later NAP300 do in fact have dual XLR inputs but they are a bit out of my price range.

Be aware that the XLR Cannon inputs on the big Naim amps are single-ended not balanced.  What ever you do, do not try running a balanced output pre-amp into a Naim power amp using balanced cables.

As others have mentioned, Naim amplifiers are really designed as a whole - i.e. pre and power together, but apart. The power amps in particular require a Naim pre-amp to work at their best.  Like anything, of course there are exceptions to the rule, but why make things hard for yourself when the chances of a happy marriage with anything else are so poor.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by angelface

I have yet to hear a demo of Naim pre and power amps.  Yes I get that you fan boys like to have a totally Naim system!  I really like the sound of my current pre-amp (Music First Classic V2) but it has a single pair of XLR inputs and a single pair of XLR outputs.  I can (but don't yet) add extra digital sources to my DAC if required.

Having a custom lead made up my Chord or a friendly dealer sounds my best shot at the moment.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’m not sure our advice calls for a stupid ‘fan boy’ response. I won’t bother next time.