Fraim glass, cups n balls on isoblue

Posted by: hifi-dog on 06 December 2018

Just set up Fraim glass etc under my nova.... hells bells! How can a piece of glass make such a difference to dynamics, separation, coherence and over all presentation. Even with the Xmas tree between my scm11’s the sound stage has grown.. expensive even secondhand but deffo worth it

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ChrisSU

Interesting, it’s on my ‘to do list’ to try this. Full Fraim doesn’t work for me, so if this improved the Isoblue I’d be happy. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Graham Russell

It works really well. I'm moving onto a new racking system and have 3 sets of Fraim glass, cups and balls to get rid of.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Bailyhill

I would be interested, but I live in the US.  Do you have the orig packing?  Can  you PM me if you do?  

Bailyhill

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Filipe
Bailyhill posted:

I would be interested, but I live in the US.  Do you have the orig packing?  Can  you PM me if you do?  

Bailyhill

The cups and balls need to come from Naim or its dealers including online. The glass can be bought anywhere and usually comes with bevelled and polished edges for safety reasons. I believe it is 452 x 400 x 10 mm safety glass mine being bseng 12150 compliant.

It is quite transformative.

Phil

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by ameden

Enjoy HIFI-DOG....it does make a difference, especially the real thing...

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by hifi-dog

Yep! Even passes the ‘bong’ test on setting up... bonkers I know... if only I could afford a Fraim 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by S3

It is a brilliant cost effective upgrade. 

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan
hifi-dog posted:

Just set up Fraim glass etc under my nova.... hells bells! How can a piece of glass make such a difference to dynamics, separation, coherence and over all presentation. Even with the Xmas tree between my scm11’s the sound stage has grown.. expensive even secondhand but deffo worth it

Interesting, what did you have it on before? Wondering if it’s a useful upgrade for my Nova, currently on a solid wood TV cabinet shelf.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by boom

That’s awesome to hear and has got me really excited. I have a full fat Fraim sitting in boxes waiting to be set up over the Christmas break. Well looking forward to hearing the results!

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Loki
Bailyhill posted:

Bailyhill

Check out forum rules please chaps.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Loki

I have a couple of glass shelves spare. I wonder what difference they'd make under the Qb?

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by iliria

Looks like i better get searching for a fraim glass shelf for my Nova then.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by hifi-dog
Mike Sullivan posted:
hifi-dog posted:

Interesting, what did you have it on before? Wondering if it’s a useful upgrade for my Nova, currently on a solid wood TV cabinet shelf.

just sitting in my rack which is wood

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Obsydian

I wrote a while back i used that and yes a good CHEAP improvement, best of all can be used in situ on a table, cabinet setup likely for most single box users. Getting good glass can be a mission and via a Naim dealer very expensive.

I ended up moving to SR MIGs.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

I have Naim spec glass so the same smoked beveled edged BS glass just not ring tested in Salisbury so inferior according to many but have Naim cups and balls ( why does my other half always laugh at that?). On my Hutter a worthwhile improvement. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Filipe

Haha You would think that Naim would tell you which way up in return for charging you more.

Phil

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by hifi-dog

My missus thought I’d lost it... tapping a bit of glass then flipping it and tap tap, rotate , tap tap

then obsessing about getting g the stick on cups   In the same place on each corner.... what a crazy hobby..

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by spurrier sucks

Let’s see a pic of the glass on the rack. This is something that could work on my current rack. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by iliria

Is the glass used by Naim (I believe provided by Pilkington) specially made to certain specifications? Or is it the same as the rest of the toughened glass from other comapnies?

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

Mine is pilkingtons most glaziers will have it in stock and will round off and polish the edges. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by hifi-dog
spurrier sucks posted:

Let’s see a pic of the glass on the rack. This is something that could work on my current rack. 

Here’s a taster... I’m not in to take a better one

https://imgur.com/a/crZIC6c

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by spurrier sucks
hifi-dog posted:
spurrier sucks posted:

Here’s a taster... I’m not in to take a better one

https://imgur.com/a/crZIC6c

Thanks. I may need to look into this a bit more.