NAC 52 Supercap - a preamp for 2 systems?

Posted by: Chrisn on 07 December 2018

My Nac 52 Supercap is connected to an active setup, second Supercap, Snaxo 242, IBLS. Can I simultaneously have the Nac 52 Supercap connected to another power amp, say a 250? I would like to leave them all connected but would plan to only have one power amp set up turned on at any time. Any help?

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Chris, it’s possible, but what I can’t twll you is how it will impact performance.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by stuart.ashen

Rather than power a second NAP I just open all the doors in my house and turn the sound up...

I know, my coat, yes...

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by yeti42
stuart.ashen posted:

Rather than power a second NAP I just open all the doors in my house and turn the sound up...

I know, my coat, yes...

It’s saved me from buying a QB for the kitchen, though when it comes to spare amps they just seem to happen every time I upgrade.

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Sounsfaber

Wouldn’t you be better off with a muso??

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Stephen D

Chris,

Run a 4 pin snaic from an additional output on the supercap that powers your 52 to the additional amp.  The added load on the supercap will be negligible as all three outputs sockets are already setup to each carry a load.  Totally fine connection wise but as stated you may or may not impact sound quality.  

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by blythe

I used to do this with my old home, where my main active NBL with 3x250's was the main system, then I had a 140 running speakers in the kitchen. I wasn't aware of any sound quality degredation when the 140 was connected.
I ran CAT5 with an infrared extender so I could control the volume etc from the kitchen.

Posted on: 08 December 2018 by Chrisn

Thanks for the replies. I can't detect any sound quality reduction although I do not play both power setups at the same time. I also prefer not to have 12 black boxes in one room!